Recommend
3 
 Thumb up
 Hide
22 Posts

Panic Station» Forums » General

Subject: Figurine suggestions? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Odum
United States
Holdenville
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
Looks like this game will use markers instead of minis. There are some in my gaming group who may request the game more if I got some cool figurines for it. Somehow my old army men just wouldn't cut it.

Any ideas?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon M
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
“Games give you a chance to excel, and if you're playing in good company you don't even mind if you lose because you had the enjoyment of the company during the course of the game.” ― Gary Gygax
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you paint minis or have any motivation to? I would suggest prowling the individual minis at thewarstore.com or your FLGS.

I did warhammer 40k for ~5-6 years. I plan to snag some future commando type minis and paint them up.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schafer
United States
Prior Lake
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What about AT-43 minis?

I have several and that's what I intend to use. No modeling, no painting. Plus, with the game gone the way of the Doodoo bird, you can get them pretty cheap.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Odum
United States
Holdenville
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
Thanks for the suggestions. The AT-43 minis looked especially promising but I only found three loose heroes. I browsed around on thewarstore.com (thanks for the site) but didn't find anything perfect. So far if I were to buy some right now I would probably go with Dust Tactics miniatures. Maybe the Recon Squad.

I think I'll just wait and see how the guys like it without the minis, then buy them if I think that will ramp their interest up.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Ausloos
Belgium
Ranst
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
the thing is, I am a fan of minis myself, but somehow the discs are far more practical in actual play. These disc handle in such an elegant way that most people are instantly won over by them.
But...it would be cool to see how minis woul look. Remember that it is crucial to paint them in tones that refer to the player's colors for quick reference. And the Androids are best kept identical or very similar looking so you can instantly see the situation with one brief look at the board.

8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Odum
United States
Holdenville
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
ausloosd wrote:
the thing is, I am a fan of minis myself, but somehow the discs are far more practical in actual play. These disc handle in such an elegant way that most people are instantly won over by them.
But...it would be cool to see how minis woul look. Remember that it is crucial to paint them in tones that refer to the player's colors for quick reference. And the Androids are best kept identical or very similar looking so you can instantly see the situation with one brief look at the board.


I think I will completely agree with you, David, but as I said in a previous post, though I am in my late twenties, I regularly play with guys aged 13-17, one or two of which I am worried will be disappointed with the discs. But we do play lots of Neuroshima Hex! and that game has no minis either.

By the way, have any of your playtests included 13- or 14-year-olds? If so, how did they fare? Not sure why I am asking as I am buying the game either way. I am in the U.S. and did not even think about the overseas distribution aspect. This means I will possibly be waiting till after October? cry

EDIT: Sorry for bugging you. This game page has become a near-daily visit for me, though, so it's your fault for creating such an exciting-looking game. Plus you keep chipping in, so that's your fault, too.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schafer
United States
Prior Lake
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
NicciAdonai wrote:
Thanks for the suggestions. The AT-43 minis looked especially promising but I only found three loose heroes. I browsed around on thewarstore.com (thanks for the site) but didn't find anything perfect. So far if I were to buy some right now I would probably go with Dust Tactics miniatures. Maybe the Recon Squad.

I think I'll just wait and see how the guys like it without the minis, then buy them if I think that will ramp their interest up.



Miniature Market has loads of At-43 singles.

I have the Oni units as well and they will work great for the androids.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Ausloos
Belgium
Ranst
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
David,

First of all, I understand the 13-14-year old situation completely.
But from experience I learned that the first impression and attached dissapointement fades in 5 seconds after actually starting a session, just simply because when players gets sucked up in the gameworld and the intesity of situations on the board they quickly forget if they are playing with a colorful disc or a mini. I practice minis would be a bit more fiddly to handle given the compact claustrophobic nature of the board.
But, more importingly, this is a game that needs to allow players to give the board one quick glance at the situation for them to make fast tactical decissions, and with the colorful pawns with the character portraits it is very easy to grasp a situation. With minis this would be a bit harder, unless they would be prepainted which would bump up the cost of the game considerably, and I think the base game should be as accesible to a wide audience as possible. One of the attractive aspects of the game is that Panic Station offers a complete gameworld in a relatively small box at a very attractive retail price.

I did some tests with 14-year olds and they had no problem playing the game. Actually, one 14-year old kid was one of the best traitors I have encountered to this day. He was very good in the "misleading game" and had us all thinking another player was the infecting host. by the time we figured out he was the original infector he already pulled 4 of the six players to his side and he got hold of the vital gaz-reserves needed to destroy the parasite hive. The little devil
So yes, I am very confident kids of the age will have no problem playing the game. Especially since the rules are very straightforward.
Actually, one of the regular comments I get from new players is that after 1 turn the game feels very intuïtive.

Some further good news for US-based gamers interested in the game: there is currently contact with an US publisher who wants to bring the game to the north american market, so chances are 2 versions will hit Essen, a multilanguage edition and an US edition. After Essen the game should be available in your local gameshop without the need of import copies.
Fingers crossed for a good wrap up.




11 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Odum
United States
Holdenville
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
Awesome news about the American publisher! Yesyesyesyes! AND you have answered all of my questions. Very cool.

I just might video some game sessions of this one. First game I've been tempted to do that with and it's not even out yet. Maybe I'll even tape the unboxing and first session. Anyway, can't wait. Day one purchase.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Odum
United States
Holdenville
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
Time 2 Roll wrote:
NicciAdonai wrote:
Thanks for the suggestions. The AT-43 minis looked especially promising but I only found three loose heroes. I browsed around on thewarstore.com (thanks for the site) but didn't find anything perfect. So far if I were to buy some right now I would probably go with Dust Tactics miniatures. Maybe the Recon Squad.

I think I'll just wait and see how the guys like it without the minis, then buy them if I think that will ramp their interest up.



Miniature Market has loads of At-43 singles.

I have the Oni units as well and they will work great for the androids.

I just checked that site and I only saw three loose human heroes that you don't have to buy with a vehicle. Troopers don't count. Maybe I could combine AT-43 with Tannhausser (sp).
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael T. Probst
Germany
Waghäusel
of the Art
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb

Wow, I never thought about Minis before, because I love the grafic art of David so much, but with Minis... devil

Thinking also about a mix from AT-43 and Tannhäuser painted for Heroes and maybe some unpainted figures for the Androids...
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Odum
United States
Holdenville
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
Unpainted for the androids is an excellent idea! Or maybe just a smidge of color to make it obvious which belongs to whom.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Ausloos
Belgium
Ranst
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Next step: 3D doors!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Odum
United States
Holdenville
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
Mounted cards...
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schafer
United States
Prior Lake
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ausloosd wrote:
Next step: 3D doors!



Looks like I found another use for my space hulk doors.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kito Impsta
Finland
flag msg tools
Avatar
mb
ausloosd wrote:


Panic Station offers a complete gameworld in a relatively small box at a very attractive retail price.



Less of the spin and flannel; this is the real reason we get discs instead of figures - to keep costs down.

How can discs handle more elegantly? A figure will occupy the same footprint and be easier to pluck of the board surely.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Ausloos
Belgium
Ranst
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
K P Impsta wrote:
ausloosd wrote:


Panic Station offers a complete gameworld in a relatively small box at a very attractive retail price.



Less of the spin and flannel; this is the real reason we get discs instead of figures - to keep costs down.

How can discs handle more elegantly? A figure will occupy the same footprint and be easier to pluck of the board surely.


You would be suprised how easy these discs are to handle.
Of all the playtests I did (at times with hardcore miniature freaks) nobody suggested to replace the diss for minis. But I guess this is something you have to experience to get an idea how smooth they move around the board.
There is also an additional element why these discs are more practical than minis: damaged Black (heavy) parasites need to be marked, and this is simply done by turning the parasite disc from their black to their grey side. It would be far more fiddly to track such thing with minis.
Now it only takes a second.

An yes, bringing this game to the market with wooden discs makes it possible to sell it for a very attractive price, which in my book is crucial for a product to succeed and appeal to a broad audience of both hardcore and casual gamers. I strongly believe this game (based on extensive playtests with both groups) will appeal to both camps.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michele Esmanech
Italy
Milano
Milano
flag msg tools
designer
Dystopian:the manhunt: a worker placement game of investigation, murder and mystery, set in the futuristic megapolis of DYSTOPIA
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry for resurecting this 2 months old thread, but I am planning on getting the game, and substitute the character discs with miniatures, and, apparently, I am not the only one who had a similar idea.

I plan on using my Ariadna army miniatures from Infinity (have a look here: http://www.corvusbelli.com/en/02_tiendainf.asp

I think both Ariadna and Panoceania and Yu Jing fit the theme.
For androids, Alephs and any TAG from any faction can work.

Infinity has some of the BEST miniatures on the market... and yes, even better than W40K (and I am a W40K player).

cheers
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Assaf Becker
msg tools
What about meeples? meeple
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
aj roscetti
United States
niagara falls
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Spacehulk terminaters work perfect, and no one asks why the flamers can't use a gun
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.