Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
bryden
United States
Stow
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I tried to find something on the topic specifically but did not find my answer. The question is:

Using the advanced scoring variant how much do you score if you have the 3 and 7 in your pledge for the winning color?

The winner scores points based on the win condition as reflected in the following table:
Winner / Opponent / Points
7 / 3,5 or none / 7
3 and 5 / None / 10
5 / 3 or none / 13
3 / None / 15
3 and 5 / 7 / 15

If the score ends 10 to 5 or 10 to 0: score 10 points? I did not know if the first "3 and 5" was a misprint and should be "3 and 7".

Thanks for the help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Worthington
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
2010 Releases ........................................ The Resistance, Haggis & Triumvirate ..................................... Now accepting submissions for 2011 releases ........................................ www.IndieBoardsandCards.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I would think that you'd get 7 points. If you pledged the 7, there is no need to pledge the three unless you were trying to keep it out of your opponent's hand. A card in hand is often as good as a card pledged.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bryden
United States
Stow
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I would think that you'd get 7 points. If you pledged the 7, there is no need to pledge the three unless you were trying to keep it out of your opponent's hand. A card in hand is often as good as a card pledged.

I thought that since 7 is not a "winner" necessarily and that some/many times you might not be able to guarantee a winner you might want to "protect" the 3 like you mentioned. It could be a reverse situation as well with the 3 going in 1st.

So if I take a "chance" and protect the victory for "my side" I might be able to gain a few more points for it? I mean it would be overkill but shouldn't an "all in" gamble be rewarded since a "7" alone is not an automatic victory (for a good reason - I like the point split).

I was curious why it wasn't mentioned or even an opportunity given to the advanced players. Do you think that if it was offered that it might reduce the game to an "all-in" play style (the "L" word) for those that want a little more challenge with this little gem?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Worthington
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
2010 Releases ........................................ The Resistance, Haggis & Triumvirate ..................................... Now accepting submissions for 2011 releases ........................................ www.IndieBoardsandCards.com
mbmbmbmbmb
the honest answer is that this scoring method was something that I tried out, but got rid of because it added complexity to a game that is already difficult to grasp.

I don't remember exactly, but think it only made it into the published rules for a hundred or so of the handmade copies.

So that being said the intent was to rewards players that didn't guarantee themselves a win even if they did get the right color to win.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bryden
United States
Stow
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the honest answer. I kind of liked the idea maybe because I like a little extra challenge in my games.

Since you are implying this rule is no longer a part of the game I will play around with it a bit to balance it and account for all circumstances.

Was the pledging variant also mentioned in the advanced scoring variant retained in some form? or is it just the base game rules now?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Worthington
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
remind me what the pledging variant was!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bryden
United States
Stow
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quoting from the card in my copy: (text exactly as it appears)

Pledging - After the hand has been completed the Players may select one card in hand to Pledge OR exchange one card from hand with a card that has already been pledged. (Note that a card may be pledged on the final hand but a player cannot exchange a card on the final hand)

The difference being what comes after the OR.

In a way I thought this might part of something that I missed in the main rules when you commented in another thread that you might also bury a zero just to throw off your opponent. Being new to the game I re-read the rules that you could pledge anything to help short suit your hand but this takes up a potentially valuable position in your pledge.

I was intrigued by your comment and thought about how I could execute that especially with a zero being as important as they can be at times. Thus trading it out later might be a way to "reactivate" a card when you wanted it back. This trade rule though is in the Advanced Scoring Variant with the clarification that "All base rules remain in effect with the following exceptions:" The pledging change is noted first with the scoring to 21 points following it.

So it seemed to be mentioned as an intricate part of this advanced variant when it could be a strategic component on its own. Which is why I asked the question if you kept this as a variant rule much like you did with the "official" drafting variant mentioned in the main rules text.

My apologies for being so wordy as I am trying to be thorough.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Worthington
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ahh, now I remember. One of the beauties of doing these handmade copies is that I could include a number of variants. Doing a full commercial print run really forces you to cut any interesting but unneeded variants out. The current rules don't have any variants, despite the fact that the drafting variant being one of my favorites. An issue with that variant was that it really emphasized opening hands, oftentimes you would know who won right upfront.

The pledging/swap variant was ok, but didn't really get used that much. But it did make it easier to pledge some thing that you didn't want ib hand because you knew you could change your mind later. One of the hard strategies to grasp is that if you are going to pledge a card defensively (so your opponent won't get it) is that you have to do it early in the game for ir to have a statistically relevant impact. Oftentimes you see people waiting too long to play defensively, and by waiting you are really reducing the odds of the defensove play making a difference.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.