Popular Tags: [View All]
Gerald Katz
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
STING All/Intermediate/Optional

Switches Lost Ships

You have the power to substitute. Whenever you lose ships involuntarily, you may use this power designate another player to lose them instead. Your ships return to colonies, and the player chooses an equal number of his own to lose. He then may draw one card from your hand for each ship he lost. If you have too few cards, he may draw the remainder from the deck.

HISTORY: Genetically sterile through a side-effect of their colony's energy shield, the Sting desperately sought a way to save themselves from extinction. In their quest, they stumbled upon a vampiric form of immortality. Emboldened, they now scour the Cosmos in search of a cure for their sterility, and woe to those who try to stop them.

FLARE

Resolution
Wild: When you are required to give compensation, you may instead designate another player to give it instead.

ALl
Super: When you send another player's ships to the warp instead of yours, he gets nothing in return.

Commentary: This is a resource power originally produced by Mayfair. I do not like this power. Even though I highly value ships, I also value cards. While I don't mind losing poor cards, I would mind losing good cards. The power forces me to choose between saving my ships and potentially losing my good cards. That's not efficient. That other players lose ships is irrelevant. I'd rather play Zombie or Vacuum.

A common problem with Sting is what is meant by "involuntary". According to some, the only time you voluntarily lose ships is by Wild Disease and a few home made creations such as Saint. However, I find there are more situations. When you ally, you are voluntarily putting your ships at risk. Of course you don't want to lose them and mostly don't purposely try to have your side lose the encounter, but you still risked your ships by your own free will. Therefore, as Sting, such losing ships are voluntary. However, if you were forced to ally by Magnet or Glue, then that's involuntary.

Similarly, you can't use Sting as a losing offensive player because even though you have to commit ships, you are voluntarily playing the game, and putting ships on the cone as offensive player is how you gain colonies to win the game, which is what you want to do. However, you can use Sting as a losing defensive player, because unless you lured as Siren, chose your color as Dictator, etc., you did not ask to become the defensive player. That status position was involuntarily forced upon you by the destiny pile.

You can use Sting if another player plays a Flare or Artifact that forces you to lose ships. In a sense, losing ships to Wild Disease is not voluntary because someone playing the Flare forced the decision for someone to lose ships. You cannot use Sting if you play a Flare or Artifact and for some reason put ships into the warp, unless somehow you were forced to play the Flare.

When it comes to deals, that is tricky. If you flat out refuse to deal, you voluntarily lost the three ships. However, even if you made an "outrageous" offer, technically you tried to deal but someone else refused; therefore you can use Sting. You can use Sting when tortured by Wrack because Wrack forced the decision on you to accept the deal or not, and if not, he decided if you lose ships or cards.

To sum everything up, game effects that you invoke that have you lose ships are voluntary losses of ships; you can't use Sting. Game effects invoked by other players or game components that have you lose ships are involuntarily losses of ships; you can use Sting. If all this just makes things more confusing, just get rid of the word "involuntary" and let the power apply whenever Sting loses ships for any reason. The Sting player just then decides whether to lose the ships or have someone else lose the ships and take cards from his hand.

Mayfair did poorly with this power. If Sting didn't have enough cards, the power allowed the player to take Lucre if he desired, but Sting is not a Lucre power.

I'd also like to say for the record I had intended to post a power called Stash created by Eric Clason, but upon reading it the power is Cryo with minute differences. Call it another case of great minds think alike.

Gerald Katz
Don't forget to tip the Butler!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jefferson Krogh
United States
San Leandro
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, this one never did anything for me. I value cards higher than I do ships, so there are few situations where I would want to be Sting. (The alien, as opposed to the musician.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mil Myman
United States
Fountain Valley
California
flag msg tools
Why is there no Word Games Forum or Subdomain?
badge
There should be a Word Games Subdomain, or at least a Word Games Forum!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm sorry, but I find that a truly bizarre interpretation of "involuntary". Yes, you can use Sting if you lose ships as an ally or as offensive player. No, you are not *losing* them voluntarily in those instances, even if you are *risking* them voluntarily.

It's like digestion in the body. It's an involuntary process, even though you make a voluntary decision when to eat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris O
msg tools
Pixeling ain't easy, but someone's gotta do it...
badge
LION OF JUDAH
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a power that I wanted to kinda remake while keeping the same basic theme behind it but giving it a bit more control and finesse:

[_] STING Substitutes Captured Ships [_]

You have the power to Substitute. As a main player or ally, if your side wins the encounter, use this power to capture as many of the losing side's ships as possible, up to the number of ships you had in the encounter, and place them on this sheet rather than sending them to the warp. A player cannot be reduced to fewer ships than the number of foreign colonies needed to win the game. Any captured ships that would reduce a player below this number are sent to the warp as usual.

Whenever any of your ships would be lost to the warp, captured, or removed from the game, you may substitute an equal number of ships on this sheet. However, you may not cause a player to capture his or her own ships.

If this alien power is removed from the game, send all ships on this sheet to the warp.

Genetically sterile through a side-effect of their colony's energy shield, the Sting desperately sought a way to save themselves from extinction. In their quest, they stumbled upon a vampiric form of immortality. Emboldened, they now scour the Cosmos in search of a cure for their sterility, and woe to those who try to stop them.

Main Player Or Ally Only Mandatory
Start Turn Regroup Destiny Launch Alliance Planning Reveal Resolution

Wild: When you must give compensation to a player you may designate a different player to give compensation instead.
As Any Player Any

Super: When you use your power, instead of removing ships from your sheet to substitute, choose any player to lose the same number of ships of his choosing instead. A player cannot be reduced to fewer ships than the number of foreign colonies needed to win the game. Any captured ships that would reduce a player below this number are sent to the warp as usual.
As Any Player Resolution

When you are doing well and winning fights, you are Void with less eradication effect but far more opportunity. When you are not doing so hot, you can cash in your "eradicated" ships for some Zombie action. You choose what you want to be, and there is tons of good play involved with this remake. Keeps the "vampirism" theme better than the original methinks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just a Bill
United States
Norfolk
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
No, I said "oh, brother," not "go hover."
mbmbmbmbmb
That's a great improvement, Chris; I like it. A few thoughts:

* It would be nice to get rid of the slash in the summary line; perhaps something like Substitutes Captured Ships.

* FFG almost always sequences the various parts of a power in chronological order; it's easer for the reader to understand if the part about capturing comes first, so when you read about substituting "ships on this sheet" you already know why they are there and you don't have to mentally buffer information to be understood later.

* I can't tell whether I am supposed to capture as many ships as possible, or I can choose the number up to my own ship count. The mandatory use suggests the former. (If you intended the latter, then throw a "you may" in front of that and use "any or all" instead of "your choice".) In either case, it would be good to bring the "up to" restriction to closer to the capturing phrase.

* Effects that eradicate ships from the game have a standard clause about not making it impossible for the other guy to win (Void, Wild Guerrilla, Wild Fury). Capturing effects don't usually have that clause, but that's because capturing effects always have an in-game mechanism for the other players to win their ships back. This version of Sting does not, and thus it can easily be used as an eradication effect by simply electing to never return any ships. This makes it appropriate to add the restriction.

* Game effects that have to do with capturing also need to prevent the situation where a player captures his own ships.

What might all that look like?

You have the power to Substitute. As a main player or ally, if your side wins the encounter, use this power to capture as many of the losing side's ships as possible, up to the number of ships you had in the encounter, and place them on this sheet rather than sending them to the warp. A player cannot be reduced to fewer ships than the number of foreign colonies needed to win the game. Any captured ships that would reduce a player below this number are sent to the warp as usual.

Whenever any of your ships would be lost to the warp, captured, or removed from the game, you may substitute an equal number of ships on this sheet. However, you may not cause a player to capture his or her own ships.

If this alien power is removed from the game, send all ships on this sheet to the warp.

(The Super needs the same bit about not capturing your own ships.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris O
msg tools
Pixeling ain't easy, but someone's gotta do it...
badge
LION OF JUDAH
mbmbmbmbmb
^^ Good catch, as usual. Editing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerald Katz
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Now that's a power!
Saved for future use.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just a Bill
United States
Norfolk
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, this is good work, Chris. My only concern is that it just might overshadow Void a bit too much.

If you took Void, added its Super flare effect right into the power, and gave it the ability to pull eradicated ships back into the game to substitute for its own ships, you'd pretty much have Sting. Void, of course, can eradicate all ships on the losing side whereas Sting can only capture a number equal to his own. Hard to say whether that's enough of a difference, but my gut feeling is that given the choice I'd rather be Sting, because it is so much more flexible and gives you the ability to torment everyone by refusing to return their ships.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerald Katz
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bill Martinson wrote:
Yeah, this is good work, Chris. My only concern is that it just might overshadow Void a bit too much.

If you took Void, added its Super flare effect right into the power, and gave it the ability to pull eradicated ships back into the game to substitute for its own ships, you'd pretty much have Sting. Void, of course, can eradicate all ships on the losing side whereas Sting can only capture a number equal to his own. Hard to say whether that's enough of a difference, but my gut feeling is that given the choice I'd rather be Sting, because it is so much more flexible and gives you the ability to torment everyone by refusing to return their ships.

You could force it. Sting losing ships during Resolution must first release ships of the opposing main player. Sting can choose any ships if forced to lose ships by other means, such as a Flare or Plague.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just a Bill
United States
Norfolk
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hadsil wrote:
You could force it. Sting losing ships during Resolution must first release ships of the opposing main player. Sting can choose any ships if forced to lose ships by other means, such as a Flare or Plague.

That's not bad ... if you did that, you could probably also get rid of the stuff about not reducing a player to too few ships to win the game, since it would virtually never happen.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.