Subject: Should I buy Yggdrasil? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jean-François Lavallée
Canada
Quebec
flag msg tools
Hi
I've been reading a lot about Yggdrasil in the past few days and it seems very interresting. However, I already have Ghost stories and I read that both games are almost the same except fot the themes. I don't want to pay two times for the sames game. What would you guys recommand?
Thank you
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Only in this hobby do we get questions such as this.

Imagine someone posting "Hey guys, I already own a Jay-Z CD. The Puff Daddy CD looks interesting, but I don't want to pay two times for the same CD. Should I buy it?" or "Hey, I already have Final Fantasy III, should I buy Chrono Trigger? I don't want to own the same game twice."

This commentary is not directed at the OP in particular, just an observation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jean-François Lavallée
Canada
Quebec
flag msg tools
Maybe I should put it that way
Is it true that both games are the same or is the gaming experience different from one another
Thank you for your help
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TS S. Fulk
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Mactory wrote:
Maybe I should put it that way
Is it true that both games are the same or is the gaming experience different from one another
Thank you for your help

Both have a feeling of overwhelming dread at some point, but the game play and decisions are totally different. Large games (4-6 players) of Yggdrasil require lots of co-ordination.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think mechanically they have much in common at all.

So, yes, go for it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Eddy
United States
Coeur d'Alene
ID
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tssfulk wrote:

Both have a feeling of overwhelming dread at some point, but the game play and decisions are totally different. Large games (4-6 players) of Yggdrasil require lots of co-ordination.

This. The reason Yggdrasil is my current favorite co-op is that it's fun solo and with one or two others, but it actually plays up to 7 (and well in my opinion) if you include the BGG promo, and 6 with just the base game.

It's REALLY hard with that many, but it's not as chaotic as you might expect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaun
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I enjoyed Ghost Stories a little more than Yggdrasil. The theme and mechanics feel somewhat transparent in Yggdrasil, and most actions support the single action of combat. I feel that Ghost Stories offers more ways in which to defeat monsters.

That being said, I still plan on playing Yggdrasil, and it feels a bit different than Ghost Stories. If you like co-ops, I'd say get it. I tend to buy co-ops even if they are only ok, just to add some variety to the co-op experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Bohm
United States
Appleton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
dcorban wrote:
Only in this hobby do we get questions such as this....
"Hey, I already have Final Fantasy III, should I buy Chrono Trigger? I don't want to own the same game twice."

Uh, actually, we of the video game community ask these sort of questions all the time but more like "I play WoW, is it worth getting Rift?."

Personally, I was excited when I first saw Yggdrasil but after seeing some reviews I don't think I'll be getting it. It seems like the gameplay would be too linear and predictable, is that the consensus?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clare Cannon
Wales
Trefforest
Mid Glamorgan
flag msg tools
mb
In our gaming group we have both yggdrasil and ghost stories. we were somewhat dissapointed with yggdrasil as we were expecting it to be difficult to beat.

It is a beautifully made. Game components are good (character sheets are a bit thin but kinda un-nessessary). Mechanics are simple and easily understandable by non-gamers.

We now play yggdrasil as a light hearted co-op with new players or those inexperienced with co-op as small play mistakes or wrong moves usually set you back but do not generally cost you the game.

ghost stories is reserved for when we wish to have a more serious game where you actually have to work together and one wrong move could cost you the game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan
Belgium
De Haan
flag msg tools
admin
designer
I love cargo biking!
badge
...and videogaming, boardgaming, RPG'ing and helping users as an admin!
mbmbmbmbmb
I own both and I'm happy to own both.

They are definitly not the same game at all, but they do feel a bit the same. They both use different mechanics in the whole.

Yggdrasil you can easily play with 6 players comparing to four in Ghost Stories. I haven't tried out the solo players on any, because I'm not a solo player.

As for my personal favorite, this goes to Ghost Stories because their I have a bigger feel of urgency and the endings with Yggdrasil can be somewhat a dissapointment.

But overall I would say buy it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Hall
United Kingdom
Yate
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played both; I played Ghost Stories 3 times in a row and enjoyed it every time and would happily play again (and I'm not a big fan of co-op games). I've played Yggdrasil 4 times now, the last 2 one after the other, and I'm already bored of it. I was bored halfway through game 3 but other people wanted to play again after losing so we played again. I was bored all of the way through that play. If you have Ghost Stories I really wouldn't bother.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Hinrickson
United States
St Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
DreadFuzzy wrote:
I've played both; I played Ghost Stories 3 times in a row and enjoyed it every time and would happily play again (and I'm not a big fan of co-op games). I've played Yggdrasil 4 times now, the last 2 one after the other, and I'm already bored of it. I was bored halfway through game 3 but other people wanted to play again after losing so we played again. I was bored all of the way through that play. If you have Ghost Stories I really wouldn't bother.

I was bored with Yggdrasil about 5 mins into game 1, co-ops aren't my thing which could be why.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.