Abstract Games» Forums » General

Subject: The bodyguard in hiashatar rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Blue Mountain
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I've been trying to establish some clear rules regarding the powers of the bodyguard in Hiashatar (a 10x10 chess variant from Mongolia - it's not in the BGG database) but am finding inconsistent info online ...

some sources state that any piece is limited to one move if it starts a kings move away from the bodyguard ... other sets of rules say only enemy pieces are affected by the bodyguard.....

similar scenario for if sliding through the bodyguard's squares of influence .. friend and foe pieces must stop or only foe?

Do any of you guys know the answer ...?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Lame
United States
Huntington Woods
Michigan
flag msg tools
After a bit of googling, I've come to the conclusion that no one knows the answer, even in Mongolia. It seems to me that Hiashatar was a poorly documented variant, rarely played. It's very likely that it was never codified in a universally accepted rule set, which means that the rule was probably determined by whoever owned the pieces being used for play.

However, it seems like a cool variation. I've never seen anything quite like the power of the bodyguard piece in a Chess variant, except maybe in Ultima. When I play, it will be assuming that the bodyguard only blocks enemy pieces. Otherwise, they would create four dead zones on a 10 x 10 board, which could result in slow games. If you assume that they only block enemy pieces, they could be used to set up very effective ambushes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blue Mountain
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Meadmaker wrote:
After a bit of googling, I've come to the conclusion that no one knows the answer, even in Mongolia. It seems to me that Hiashatar was a poorly documented variant, rarely played. It's very likely that it was never codified in a universally accepted rule set, which means that the rule was probably determined by whoever owned the pieces being used for play.

However, it seems like a cool variation. I've never seen anything quite like the power of the bodyguard piece in a Chess variant, except maybe in Ultima. When I play, it will be assuming that the bodyguard only blocks enemy pieces. Otherwise, they would create four dead zones on a 10 x 10 board, which could result in slow games. If you assume that they only block enemy pieces, they could be used to set up very effective ambushes.
Thanks for your comment.

I agree .... it think it will be a better game if the bodyguard only restricts the enemy.

I have a relative going to Mongolia soon and she will be travelling all over the country .... I've asked her to track down a hiashatar set (new or antique) for me ..

If she gets the set I might email the nearest Mongolian embassy for a rule clarification
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
hebetissimus
msg tools
Hi,

Did you ever get your hiashatar set and clarification on the rules about the bodyguard? I have played it where the bodyguard only limits enemy pieces and found that much more satisfying to play than when he limits friendly and enemy.

Here is a place where it is for sale in Mongolia, if you haven't gotten one yet. They replied in English when I last contacted them: http://iqmuseum.mn/product/show/id/146

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luis Bolaños Mures
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The bodyguard in Hiashatar... I'd read that novel!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
hebetissimus
msg tools
Hi,

I don't know if there is a novel, but there is a Mongolian legend about the origin of this variant. Lev Kisliouk reports it here: http://history.chess.free.fr/mongeng.htm

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Lame
United States
Huntington Woods
Michigan
flag msg tools
hebetissimus wrote:
Hi,

Did you ever get your hiashatar set and clarification on the rules about the bodyguard? I have played it where the bodyguard only limits enemy pieces and found that much more satisfying to play than when he limits friendly and enemy.

Here is a place where it is for sale in Mongolia, if you haven't gotten one yet. They replied in English when I last contacted them: http://iqmuseum.mn/product/show/id/146

Interesting.

I noticed that it is a 10 by 10 board, and the title is simply "Mongol Chess" or "Mongol Shatar" (transliterated from Russian text). That would suggest that it is "normal" Mongolian Chess, as opposed to a variant. I had thought Shatar was the usual variant, and it is played on an 8x8 board.

I tried "download instructions", which I hoped would get me to a rules page, but it didn't work.

I did play a few games at a game gathering, and I did use the rule that the bodyguard only blocked enemy pieces. It makes for a very interesting game. The bodyguards really dominate the area they occupy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
hebetissimus
msg tools
The updated website no longer has hiashatar sets on it, I am sorry to write.

This is a pity, but perhaps the museum store will accommodate a special request?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.