Popular Tags: [View All]
Shane Brewer
United States
Monticello
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a nice collection of games. But practically nothing for when my son brings over a bunch of friends and asks "Dad, can we play some games? I told my friends you have every game possible and we want to play something."

I'm stuck. I'm pretty sure Power Grid and ASL are not going to work. Either are Puerto Rico or even Dominion. I need something that can be explained quickly so that dear ol' Dad can leave the room and doesn't have to ruin the party by hanging out. I fear I am asking for something dangerously close to a party game (something I have refused to spend $$ on but now kind of regret.)

So what do you suggest? The only game I could come up with was Jungle Speed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Isley
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How old is your son? What sorts of activities does he like to do with his friends? Does he really play many of your games such that he'd be able to explain the rules?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Johnson
United States
Cottage Grove
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Can you give us a little more information on age and number of people?

I think games like The Resistance and The Castle of the Devil would work great for larger groups.

Conquest of Planet Earth: The Space Alien Game is a great game for a smaller group.

I'm going to have to assume you've tried Cosmic Encounter and it didn't work?

Also:

Dungeons & Dragons: Castle Ravenloft Board Game or Dungeons & Dragons: Wrath of Ashardalon Board Game
Fearsome Floors
Dixit
Lifeboat
Niagara
Unnamed Object (which you have).

These could all work depending on age and what they like.

Zombie in my Pocket and Zombie Dice are fun.

Dice Town is probably my favorite party game.

These recommendations may change based on age and number... and likes/dislikes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Brewer
United States
Monticello
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My son is 17 and plays some of my games but not a lot. His group of friends include about 8 or 9 girls and guys and mostly they just hang out, joke around, visit, and listen to music. At this point I need games that are quick to explain (probably by me) and fun and interactive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Great Dalmuti
Pit
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Brewer
United States
Monticello
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ericbjohnson wrote:

Can you give us a little more information on age and number of people?

I think games like The Resistance and The Castle of the Devil would work great for larger groups.

Conquest of Planet Earth: The Space Alien Game is a great game for a smaller group.

I'm going to have to assume you've tried Cosmic Encounter and it didn't work?

Also:

Dungeons & Dragons: Castle Ravenloft Board Game or Dungeons & Dragons: Wrath of Ashardalon Board Game
Fearsome Floors
Dixit
Lifeboat
Niagara
Unnamed Object (which you have).

These could all work depending on age and what they like.

Zombie in my Pocket and Zombie Dice are fun.

Dice Town is probably my favorite party game.

These recommendations may change based on age and number... and likes/dislikes.

To provide more guidance for those making recommendations let me comment on some of the games listed here. I can see some possibilities: The Resistance, Dixit, Incan Gold, Zombie Dice, maybe Dice Town.

Definitely not the D&D games. Probably not Cosmic or Conquest simply because I would have to stay around to explain. However, if my son became the expert at these games then maybe they would work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lisa smith
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I know a couple that has a great game collection but what the teenage sons wanted to play were cheapass games like kill dr. lucky, the great brain robbery. The really liked the humor and obviously those are games they can teach themselves
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Best bets:
Power Boats
Factory Fun
Colossal Arena
Jamaica
Shark
Small World (if they're willing to read race descriptions as they come up in the rules)

Other options (mostly card games):
No Thanks
Carcassonne
Excape
Bluff
Turn The Tide
Wizard
Royal Turf

Or skip all that and just go straight to Dominant Species. They'll be out of your air for a while. cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DrBrewhaha wrote:
My son is 17 and plays some of my games but not a lot. His group of friends include about 8 or 9 girls and guys and mostly they just hang out, joke around, visit, and listen to music. At this point I need games that are quick to explain (probably by me) and fun and interactive.

I missed all that in my previous reply. With that many people, about all I can recommend is Wits & Wagers, possibly in teams of 2. Just do yourself a favor and get a decent set of chips instead of using the chincy ones that come with it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Maloney
United States
Van Nuys
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Shadow Hunters

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Shadow Hunters is one of those "you get out of it what you put into it" kind of games, means that people need to "get it" and be into it. The rules are also a little more involved than what I gather the OP was looking for. I wouldn't hoist this on unsusecting non-gamer teenagers and expect it to fly. Especially without a gamer guide.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmbmbmb
DrBrewhaha wrote:
My son is 17 and plays some of my games but not a lot. His group of friends include about 8 or 9 girls and guys and mostly they just hang out, joke around, visit, and listen to music.
Spin the Bottle.

If they get bored with that, introduce a variant I like to call Magic: The Stripping.

No, but seriously, The Resistance or Werewolf. This one is easy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Chappelear
United States
Kensington
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Werewolf or Cash n Guns would be my recommendations. Wits and Wagers is also a good one that can accommodate lots of people.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♬♪♪ ♫ ♩ ♫♫♪ ♩♬♪ ♫
Australia
MURRUMBEENA
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
All reality is a game. Physics at its most fundamental, the very fabric of our universe, results directly from the interaction of certain fairly simple rules, and chance... (Iain Banks)
mbmbmbmbmb
Articulate! could work. It's cheap, too.
Ca$h 'n Gun$ is a good suggestion.
Such a Thing? maybe?
I'd suggest Apples to Apples, but last year an 18-year old university student didn't recognise the name "Richard Nixon" and I've been scared of playing it with young 'uns ever since...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reis
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
DrBrewhaha wrote:

Man, your son is just waiting for you to back him up and bring out Twister. (Don't stick around to explain it.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♬♪♪ ♫ ♩ ♫♫♪ ♩♬♪ ♫
Australia
MURRUMBEENA
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
All reality is a game. Physics at its most fundamental, the very fabric of our universe, results directly from the interaction of certain fairly simple rules, and chance... (Iain Banks)
mbmbmbmbmb
Luce wrote:
Man, your son is just waiting for you to back him up and bring out Twister. (Don't stick around to explain it.)

Dad-of-the-Decade, right there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Fee
United States
Corning
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
No fair! They're using brains against us! We removed our brains to make room for guns and explosives!
mbmbmbmbmb
For all of them to play, Werewolf or Resistance as suggested.

Other possibilities that play quickly and allow chatting during play:
Tumblin-Dice (in teams)
Three-Dragon Ante
Space Beans
We Didn't Playtest This At All

+1 for The Great Dalmuti
+1 for Ca$h 'n Gun$
+1 for Wits & Wagers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chearns
Canada
Montréal
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DrBrewhaha wrote:

First I'll start off with the non-party games that will work for up to ten, but as little as four or five:

The Resistance
6 nimmt!: this game, when we play, tends to involve quite a bit of laughter when someone gets stuck with a good juicy pile

Then the party games that are free (so you don't have to buy a type of game you don't want to own):

Werewolf: But all of his friends would have to be there in order to play it, and you can either print out some cards to play or just use a regular european deck of cards (I suggest sticking with the three basic roles)

Celebrities: This one does require them to actually be willing to do a few minutes of "work" in order to play, which is to come up with like five names each and write them down.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff G
United States
Franklin
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 to Werewolf, Cash and Guns and The Great Dalmuti - though I've mostly played the last of these in its common playing card version and usually with beverages I wasn't exactly old enough to drink. whistle

This also sounds like the perfect Apples to Apples crowd.

Finally, Sorry! Sliders is a blast and could easily be played in teams. I see it as a cheaper, more easily obtainable/replaceable version of Crokinole. PitchCar may also work as well, though, considerably more expensive then Sorry Sliders.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Perrault
United States
Delaware
flag msg tools
Chaos Isle fits the description perfectly

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Brewer
United States
Monticello
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Luce wrote:
DrBrewhaha wrote:

"Here ya go, son. Try this game called Twister. And you might need this bottle of baby oil as well. Rules? Oh, I think you'll figure them out."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Micah Fuller
Canada
Hamilton
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Munchkin or Fluxx series? Maybe too geeky for them.
Saboteur?
You may have to delve in to the party games though, like Catch Phrase! or Things...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
John Coltrane - Both Directions At Once: The Lost Album
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tumblin-Dice works great at my house. Only four play at a time, but we've often had 6 or 7 rotating in. The games go very quickly, and it's entertaining for spectators as well. It can be explained in under a minute, and new players can easily compete with veterans.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Jefferson
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DrBrewhaha wrote:
... when my son brings over a bunch of friends and asks "Dad, can we play some games? I told my friends you have every game possible and we want to play something."

How did you make this happen? I figure I have like 12 or 13 years before the "impromptu house parties" begin.

How about The Resistance. Easy to teach, supports a big group, and is really really fun. Plus, you'll know they aren't getting into trouble as long as you hear them screaming at each other.

Also, +1 for Cash-n-Guns.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Snyder
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Shouldn't you be playing a game with me instead of wasting time on the Internet?
mbmbmbmbmb
time's up title recall
apples to apples
tsuro
killer bunnies
bang

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.