Mr Husso
Finland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We played a pretty quick 2 hour session and I was the cylon player. There wasn't too great chances for sabotaging the space trip and finally I revealed my true nature.

Little bit later I drew a supercrisis card Mobilize Fleets, which causes cylon ship activity: FAIL causes tons of problems, and even PASS activates some cylon ships.

I got to play that card and it was time for a skill check. We placed cards and started counting... And the end result was 21 when 24 (or something was required).

But then one human players started laughing and pointed out that there's iron will card! That means Fail condition isn't triggered. Others didn't quite understand what he meant. Then all started reading the iron will text and concluded that Fail condition indeed is not triggered.

I stopped for a moment and though that... Okay, so fail isn't triggered. But pass neither! Whadda frack! O.o

Then other human players laughed warmly too and I was like... "ok, so if I had played +card instead of minus card, then you would have passed the check and things would have been worse. Frack...."

Iron will totally crushed my last plans to mobilize the fleet and the merry group went to engine room to press a button to travel faster to Kobol and frack... made it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TheMob wrote:
We played a pretty quick 2 hour session and I was the cylon player. There wasn't too great chances for sabotaging the space trip and finally I revealed my true nature.

Little bit later I drew a supercrisis card Mobilize Fleets, which causes cylon ship activity: FAIL causes tons of problems, and even PASS activates some cylon ships.

I got to play that card and it was time for a skill check. We placed cards and started counting... And the end result was 21 when 24 (or something was required).

But then one human players started laughing and pointed out that there's iron will card! That means Fail condition isn't triggered. Others didn't quite understand what he meant. Then all started reading the iron will text and concluded that Fail condition indeed is not triggered.

I stopped for a moment and though that... Okay, so fail isn't triggered. But pass neither! Whadda frack! O.o

Then other human players laughed warmly too and I was like... "ok, so if I had played +card instead of minus card, then you would have passed the check and things would have been worse. Frack...."

Iron will totally crushed my last plans to mobilize the fleet and the merry group went to engine room to press a button to travel faster to Kobol and frack... made it.

It's a loose cannon indeed. We've already had 3 cases (though we have played alot, so of course, it's still the exception than the norm) where we decide to tank a skill check, and then Iron Will plus a negative/0 come up, causing a loss of morale... for nothing and no good reason!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pieter
Netherlands
Maastricht
flag msg tools
Good intentions are no substitute for a good education.
badge
I take my fun very seriously.
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, it is an unfortunate consequence of Iron Wil that for several crises and supercrises and Iron Willed fail is better than a pass. This is counterintuitive and a weakness in design, IMHO, but the designers have been questioned on it and your interpretation is the correct one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
I may be imagining this, but isn't there a rule that says something like abilities that affect skill checks can't be used on super crisis cards?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Flyboy Connor wrote:
Yes, it is an unfortunate consequence of Iron Wil that for several crises and supercrises and Iron Willed fail is better than a pass. This is counterintuitive and a weakness in design, IMHO, but the designers have been questioned on it and your interpretation is the correct one.
Perhaps, but I like how some things are not always what they seem. If they made everything in the game to be intuitive (especially in the name of theme), many things would be topsy turvey.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bleached_lizard wrote:
I may be imagining this, but isn't there a rule that says something like abilities that affect skill checks can't be used on super crisis cards?
That's in the base game, but that rule states character abilities may not be used on super crisises. So in the base game, you're still free to use IC to make the skill check face up, to use DE if you're just 2 short of the difficulty, and SR if you want to make blues positive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yao-ban Chan
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
But isn't there a rule which states that the 0 cards like Iron Will only have effects when played into a check with an option for the 'engine' symbol (as seen next to the 0), and not otherwise?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Cochran
United States
Costa Mesa
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Orntt wrote:
But isn't there a rule which states that the 0 cards like Iron Will only have effects when played into a check with an option for the 'engine' symbol (as seen next to the 0), and not otherwise?

No, it's the other way around. If that symbol appears on a check, then a 0-card (or a Reckless Skill Check treachery card) in the check will fire off the consequences. The 0 cards normally take effect in every check that they appear.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Orntt wrote:
Those are 2 different things.....

When you throw something like Iron Will into a skill checks, the text effect will ALWAYS trigger.

If you're resolving a crisis or super crisis card with that consequence mechanic (which is that circle+dashes+3_dots or engine symbol), then you see if that engine symbol is there. Since Iron Will does have such a symbol, it will also trigger that effect as well (e.g. Power Failure, Damage Galactica Once; in addition to the PASS or FAIL of the card, plus -1 morale if total strength was 0 or less due to the Iron Will)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.