Andreas Propst
Austria
enzenkirchen
upper austria
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello to everyone who will be playtesting Dragonslayers for me!

I have two requests:

1.) Please tell me when your copy of the game arrives at your place

2.) When you start playtesting, please create a word doc wherein you note everything worthy to note: Suggestions, ideas, improvements, rules changes, whatever. Update it regularly as you go along and send it to my email address at andreas.propst31@gmail.com.

I will create a word doc wherein i will compile all your contributions. This way it will be easier for me to keep track of all the suggestions that will be coming from you.

Thanks a lot!

andi

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Propst
Austria
enzenkirchen
upper austria
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I forgot to say:

Atthe moment there are 6 different Heroes in the game. For a 3 player game that might be alright but if you are going to try it 4 players I suggest adding two more Heroes which are not included in the TGC version. Just draw up two mock up cards if I know what I mean. The two additional Heroes are as follows:

-----------------------------

Thorulf Hammerfist:

LP: 2
INIT:2
ATK: -1
DEF: 5

Text: None.

----------------------------

Amros the Thief:

LP: 2
INIT: 6
ATK: -3
DEF:3

Text: Whenever you collect a reward for slaying a Monster you get
an additional 100 G.

-----------------------------

The game was initially intended to be a 2 player game, but one of my playtesting goals is to explore ways how to increase the number of players up to four, hence the additional Heroes. Sorry for the inconvenience...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Propst
Austria
enzenkirchen
upper austria
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What you need to play:

- Some six-sided dice to

a) perform ATK-throws
b) keep track of Defense and Life Point stats of Monsters and Heroes. Defense is color-coded blue and Life-Points red, so you'd favorably use blue and red dice, but any color will do I guess...

- A multitude of coins/tokens/buttons/whatever to be used as gold. One coin/token/button equals 50 gold.

What you should be looking for while playtesting:

1.) Tell me with how many players you played it. Try it solo, 2, 3 and 4 players if possible.
2.) Game length. Is it too long or too short to be fun?
3.) What works well?
4.) What works not so well, is imbalanced or even broken?
5.) What is/was fun and what not?
6.) Can you think of any rules changes that would improve the game
without adding a lot more complexity?
7.) Can you think of any better solo or multiplayer rules variants (for 3 - 4 players, co-op play, whatever comes to mind)?

Besides these questions feel free to report anything back to me that came to mind while playing. Any suggestions and feedback are more than welcome!

Additional incentive:

Anyone who helps me with playtesting will receive a free copy of the finished game in case I find a publisher for it and will of course be mentioned in the special thanks section of the finished game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Propst
Austria
enzenkirchen
upper austria
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just played a competitive 2 player game of Dragonslayers with a good friend. We enjoyed it but encountered several issues:

a) The only locations we ended up spending money in were the Tavern and the Blacksmith. None of us bought any Potions from the Alchemist or Spells from the Witch. Maybe we should reduce the prices for Potions and Spells. Furthermore the rules could be changed in a way that you can visit any Locations you wish AND STILL attack the Monster you encountered on your turn.

b) As each of us acquired more and more items it became hard to keep track of the INIT and ATK stats. DEF and Life Point stats were easy to keep track of as we used dice to indicate the number. This was just a minor issue. You need to do a bit of easy maths in your head which is not necessarily a bad thing.

c) As less and less Monsters remained in the Adventure Pile it was hard for us to keep track of all the events occuring before you reveal a Monster. Again some thinking and memory exercise is necessary.

d) There is a lot of luck involved overall, which again is not necessarily a bad thing. I guess it is a matter of taste. Not all people like luck in a game, but I for one love dice rolling and a good dose of luck in a game.

Overall we came to the conclusion that the game might be more fun if you play co-op. You would try to kill all monsters without being killed yourself and set a score which you could beat in future games. This is how a 2 player co-op game could be played:

Each player picks a Hero, the cards Alms and Tax Collector as well as the Spell Transmutation are removed from the Adventure Pile and Witch's Hut Pile before getting started. Players would share a common pool of gold, from which they can purchase items etc. The game is played like normal with the exception that players cooperate and make all the decisions togehter, leading to a lot of negotioating, which could be an interesting new aspect to the game. After your fellowship of heroes slew all the monsters you calculate the score by the following formula:

Remaining gold - (Years needed to beat the game times 50). A year is completed once you reveal the "Change of the Year" card in the
Adventure Pile. Basically one cycle through the whole Adventure-Pile.

Feel free to come up with any play variants that come to mind. Solo, 2 Player competitive or co-op, 3 or 4 player, whatever...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Propst
Austria
enzenkirchen
upper austria
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I created a blog on Dragonslayers where you, my valued playtesters, and I can discuss anything related to the game. Check it out here. I will post any further info on said blog: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/blog/581/dragonslayers-a-game-i...

Furthermore I took the liberty to make all people who will playtest editors on the blog.

Looking forward to your many contributions!

Yours,

Andi

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.