Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dean Longo
United States
Bayville
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We played this game last night at my games club and the use of the "Coup" card was questioned.

The question was this: If (for example) hearts are led and say the Jack, Queen and Ten are played and it gets to the fourth person who has a Seven of Hearts and the Coup Card in their hand.......can they choose to play the Coup card to win the trick, or do they have to play the heart?

The rules just say that the Coup card is wild and it is the highest card. One person thought it would count as being from any suit (i.e. wild) while another felt that it could only be played when there were no cards left in suit being led.

In the past, we had always played that it was the highest card in the suit being led and that it could be played at anytime, so this was a "new" question for me.

Thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Shoot
United States
Ferndale
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I played this as a kid/ teenager years ago... I'd love a copy of the rules. Are they posted somewhere? Thanks in advance...

About your question... I believe "wild" means just that. You are NOT forced to play another lower card, just because you have the suit. That makes no sense to me!
(Sounds like sour grapes from the person who didn't want to lose the trick...)cry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Schmitt
United States
South Portland
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DLongo wrote:
We played this game last night at my games club and the use of the "Coup" card was questioned.

The question was this: If (for example) hearts are led and say the Jack, Queen and Ten are played and it gets to the fourth person who has a Seven of Hearts and the Coup Card in their hand.......can they choose to play the Coup card to win the trick, or do they have to play the heart?

The rules just say that the Coup card is wild and it is the highest card. One person thought it would count as being from any suit (i.e. wild) while another felt that it could only be played when there were no cards left in suit being led.

In the past, we had always played that it was the highest card in the suit being led and that it could be played at anytime, so this was a "new" question for me.

Thoughts?

My interpretation of the rules is the same as yours: it can be played at any time and declared to be any value. This would typically be the ace of the suit led so the coup player can take the trick. There is nothing in the rules stating that the Coup card can't be played if the Coup player has other cards of the led suit. (The rules only state that it won't beat an ace if the ace was played first.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.