Malcolm King
Australia
Mount Hawthorn
Western Australia
flag msg tools
http://waboardgamers.org.au/
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If an opponent is blockading my barracks but then attacks me from that square, are the barracks considered blockaded still when calculating bonuses?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Redford
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No, once they leave the barracks to enter the center city square, they are no longer blockading. They need to leave a figure behind if they want to keep the bonus canceled.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Hammond
United States
League City
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DoomTurtle wrote:
No, once they leave the barracks to enter the center city square, they are no longer blockading. They need to leave a figure behind if they want to keep the bonus canceled.

Correct, an opponent loses control the moment they move off and they don't get control until they have defeated any defenders. So if someone attacks your army on your barracks you still get the bonus because it isn't blockaded until they win the battle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BENAUI Ger
msg tools
dlhammond wrote:
DoomTurtle wrote:

Correct, an opponent loses control the moment they move off and they don't get control until they have defeated any defenders. So if someone attacks your army on your barracks you still get the bonus because it isn't blockaded until they win the battle.

I don't approve of that. If you attack enemy's army on his barracks, you lose the bonus, same with the Wonder bonus, because on the Rule Book Page.27, Blockades:
Quote:
A square in a city's outskirts that contains one or more enemy figure does not generate production, trade, culture, coins, or resources for the city's owner.

Page 23, Combat:
Quote:
When an army moves into a square containing a.....

So I think attack army on barracks or wonder(Himeji Castle), defender lose the benefit from it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Kelly
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
Allow me to introduce myself. I am Hexachlorophene J. Goodfortune, Kidnapper-At-Large, and Devourer of Tortoises par Excellence, at your service.
badge
If you can read this, then this sentence is false.
mbmbmbmbmb
BENAUI wrote:
I don't approve of that. If you attack enemy's army on his barracks, you lose the bonus, same with the Wonder bonus, because on the Rule Book Page.27, Blockades:
Quote:
A square in a city's outskirts that contains one or more enemy figure does not generate production, trade, culture, coins, or resources for the city's owner.

Page 23, Combat:
Quote:
When an army moves into a square containing a.....

So I think attack army on barracks or wonder(Himeji Castle), defender lose the benefit from it.

See the official ruling in the UFAQ thread:

Quote:
If a player is blockading a barracks and moves off it to attack a city center, does the defender gain the benefit of the barracks?
These sorts of situations are resolved as followed:

Step 1: Attacker leaves the square he's any. That square turns back on if blockaded.
Step 2: Battle resolves.
Step 3: The square where the battle took place is now blockaded if the attacker won the battle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BENAUI Ger
msg tools
Oops....I have played the wrong way...
I don't know why official rule need to fixed it. Is it too powerful for the invader, or just not the designer's mind?

BTW, thanks to correct me

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Thorpe
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb

I dont think its so much of a case of needing to change the official rules, as correcting an unexpected oversight.

The way it currently works makes the most sense.

If you are for example surrounding a barracks with your troops, you would need to leave some there to continue that when the rest of the troops leave to attack.

In reverse, if you are attacking an army in their barracks, you would have to defeat them to gain control of said barracks.

I doubt that the situation is common enough to warrant changes to rules past clarifying initial intent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Hammond
United States
League City
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Makes sense to me, first you have to conquer my area before I lose control of it:

Moving into an enemy controlled area (with an army) triggers a battle (instantly).

You fight for control of the area.

If you win you control the area if you don't then you failed to control it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ricardo Donoso
Brazil
RIBEIRÃO PRETO
Sao Paulo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That is why i LOVE the Tanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.