Popular Tags: [View All]
Gavin Dollman
South Africa
Clarens
Free State
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We just played our second long game of Le Havre and wanted to write down some of my experiences of an incredibly tight and enjoyable game.

I'd planned on shipping like mad and the Missus had some mysterious plan involving fish and ships.

This went straight out the window when we saw the building plan setup. Cokery? Bottom of planning 2. Brickworks? Second last card on bottom of deck. Shipping was very low down buried under brick buildings. Hell, the town built the fish smokehouse long before the fishery appeared. This wasn't going to be easy.

Through the game I constantly struggled with food, didn't get my first boat till round 4. By then I'd smacked up 3 loans and was being bled dry. The special building Baguette Shop for 6 gold a pop was owned by my wife and she had been milking it for all its worth. While my men starved she'd bought the whole supply chain including the Abattoir, Bakery, Fishery, you name it. She was the only game in town, and she knew it. I had no choice and she reaped the benefit.

Luckily I'd found out via the market that the special building Brick Manufacturer was being built soon. I got my hands on as much clay and coke as possible while slowing pushing up my my gold to above ten to use the special building. I built the Brickworks and got a healthy supply of bricks in hand just in time. A couple of runs through the Brick Manufacturer I got my loans repaid and some cash in my pocket.

End of game we tallied up the score, myself 115. She had gotten 117! She won by two points but man, what a game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
Pitying fools as hard as I can...
mbmbmbmbmb
I do not think I have ever had as few as 3 loans in a game. 6-7 is pretty typical for the winning player in my experience. I think you may be having the Agricola-knee-jerk-must-feed-everyone reaction. Loans are fairly non-punitive in Le Havre, and if you are going to take one, you may as well take a bunch.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gavin Dollman
South Africa
Clarens
Free State
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Normally I'd agree but I desperately needed the 10 gold to run the Brick Manufacturer and ,I may be mistaken on this point, but the only time you can take a loan is to pay off food which means I've lost my gold to feed some of the minions. At that stage of the game the Brick Manufacturer was my only hope .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian McCormick
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Tasteless Brute
mbmbmbmbmb
Le Havre can be a tough follow-up if you've also learned how to play Agricola (as one of the above posters stated). I really had a tough time accepting loans but when I incorporated it into my strategy instead of dreading it, I was amazed by how many divergent paths to victory there are.

Don't fear the loans! It's only natural to want to work with the obvious combos (expensive items + shipping, 2-building combos, etc), but those intricate combos and strategies are really what makes it fun. Some of my highest scores have ignored shipping and most of the high-level production buildings altogether.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Baguette Shop is strong, very strong. It gives early cash, which seems even more critical in two-player due to the huge food requirement. Finding a way to get a large sum of cash before the Shipping Line is constructed gives you an advantage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Hutnik
United States
Albany
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
cferejohn wrote:
I do not think I have ever had as few as 3 loans in a game. 6-7 is pretty typical for the winning player in my experience. I think you may be having the Agricola-knee-jerk-must-feed-everyone reaction. Loans are fairly non-punitive in Le Havre, and if you are going to take one, you may as well take a bunch.

Please explain this in light of that the only time you can take a loan out is when you MUST take one out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris F.
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
docreason wrote:
cferejohn wrote:

Please explain this in light of that the only time you can take a loan out is when you MUST take one out.

He's saying not to spend actions gathering food, or at least not to focus too much on food. Allow yourself to take loans instead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.