Daniel D.
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I have been picking up on a game design idea recently and worked out some counters; I was wondering if the amount of visual information/layout is too cluttered or dense in these counters:

Here's a example of gameplay from a somewhat earlier version:
Feedback on sample gameplay from WIP pnp tactical miniatures game?
although there have been some changes to the gameplay based off of feedback and general development.

Any feedback would be appreciated.
-I am not sure what size these will be intended to be printed at; I had been using 1X1 earleir, but I think that would be too small now

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Although there were some different oppinions I thought that moving the data to a seperate sheet might be the most practical solution ans will let me scale down the overall game a bit. I've come up with some different graphic looks for the counters and it occured to me that if I cut off the corners at 45 degrees then the pieces could be used diagonally on a grid without the corners overlapping; the large coutner with cut edges is more of a mock-up right now, but at least the square pieces seem like it would work fairly well.
I'd appreciate any feedback on what looks you prefer and if the cut corners looks like it would work, as well as anything else.

I'm thinking about doing a gradient look (posibly with textures if I can figure out how to do that), a line-drawing/engraving look, or a kind of photograph-like look.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The neutral evil villain known as
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Ow quit it.
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Are these counters over the top?
without bothering to read the attached post, I think they would be awesome for a large counter. IF you could use a dry erase marker to tic off the boxes. You could attack different sides of a unit. spinning your unit so it doesn't get too damaged too quickly. neat idea, if that's what you're doing....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Gates
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
One important piece of information missing to really make a judgment is the size of the counter. If by 1x1 you mean 1"x1" then that's downright microscopic for the amount of information on there.

I think there's too much going on, to be honest. All the information detracts from the artwork in its current layout. There's probably better ways to organize the type (why is it in different orientations?).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Albert Hernandez
United States
Greenville
SC
flag msg tools
The show on solitaire boardgaming.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
are we looking at 4 counters or 4 sets of 9 counters each?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe McDaid
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
mb
Based purely on the image size, I say you're fine. Warmachine damage grids are no bigger, and if you've ever played starfleet battles it's certainly not as jam packed as thoes play sheets are.

The only thing I would say is that if you are boxing this, make sure thoes have a laminate coating if they are indeed damage boxes as there is no such sleve on the market for a card of that size.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pablo Santangelo
Argentina
Miami
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fractaloon wrote:
are we looking at 4 counters or 4 sets of 9 counters each?

If each of those 4 tokens represent 9 counters each, and they are 1"x1", that would be ok.

If those are 4 counters and you expect to make them 1"x1", yeah, over the top doesn't cover it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Warnken
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
I'm not crazy. My mother had me tested.
badge
Happy grandfather!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Far too busy for my taste. Why is the text in different orientations? It looks like you are forcing a ship display onto a counter. This information should be on a card off to the side so a player can refer to it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Dearborn Heights
Michigan
flag msg tools
Fizzgig need food badly!
badge
Click on Fizzgig to feed him a tasty snack. Nom, Nom, Nom!
mbmbmbmbmb
Unless these tiles are going to be at least approximately 3" in diameter, then the text and boxes are way too small. However, if each square in your image represents a tile 1" across, laid out in a grid of 3x3, then your fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel D.
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the feedback!
I’ll try to answer/comment on everything so far(in no particular order):
-While I'm not positive about the size, it would definitely lean more towards 3" square than 1".
-The pieces would have region-specific armor and ‘hit point’ values, and maneuvering does play into the game (the little red dots represent points where the units can rotate about)
-The game would be played on a grid where the spaces are smaller than any given piece in the game, so in this case one of the units would take up 9 spaces.
-I actually hadn't thought of using separate cards/sheets to keep track of this (I don't have too much of a background in war games), but I think that's a great idea; I guess it would let the pieces be a lot less cluttered if people wouldn't mind printing them out.
-I guess the text orientation was a bit haphazard: I had copied and pasted most of them from another layout where the artwork

To give a bit of background on what he values mean, the little grey boxes on all the edges are armor values that allow a unit to absorb a certain number of hits without any major damage and weed out weaker attacks initially. The rows of red boxes are ammunition values for weapons. The red arrows indicate points where the indicated weapons could fire on the piece. The red digits are die values that would result in a hit on the corresponding element of the unit (they would have various effects such as slowing it down) the white borderless boxes towards the middle are basic 'hit points', although some are specific to certain elements.
-the red crosses indicate a bonus for collision damage (each unit owuld have a basic value for this; the unit to the far left is meant for ramming; the armor would be higher than the damage from collision)
-The boxes woudl be intended to be checked off during gameplay to track hits
Thanks again for the feedback; I appreciate it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel D.
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Jice wrote:
Based purely on the image size, I say you're fine. Warmachine damage grids are no bigger, and if you've ever played starfleet battles it's certainly not as jam packed as thoes play sheets are.

The only thing I would say is that if you are boxing this, make sure thoes have a laminate coating if they are indeed damage boxes as there is no such sleve on the market for a card of that size.

I'm just planning to do a pnp release, but out of curiosity what would be an average card size? I'm thinking bout making a seperate reference card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.