Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jim Perry
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought a real canoe. Decided to find out how to paddle correctly. Don't laugh, its call a J stroke. Well anyway, why searching I came across the game " Canoe". This was a year or so before I found BGG.

I watched the great demo so many times I knew I would not need the rule book. The only game that is comparable is Backgammon. If you love or like Backgammon, Canoe is one or two steps up.

So I ordered the game which is only availabe via the inventor/creator. I waited a long two weeks. While meeting the family at McDonalds one day after work, my 7 year was giggling like crazy. He held up the box. My game was in.

I hurried home to play against kids. I had never taught them Backgammon, they preferred video games, so they did not really comprehend the game. So I ended up playing solo mostly (playing my best for each side, it works).

The game is handcrafted, that is the board, the die I imagine are special ordered and maybe the bag that holds all the dies could be handmade. I can't stress enought that if you like backgammon which always has the same set up and everyone knows that their first few roles are pretty much standard. With Canoe the dies will always be different. There is so much more strategy.
It amazes me that so many of my friends and relatives don't know how to play backgammon, so they are not interested in playing Canoe. So unfortunately I don't have anyone to share my game with. I still can play solo though.

I think I will wipe the dust off and play a game or two, hmmm, my kids are three years older, maybe just maybe they might play with Dad.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
p55carroll
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Don't hang around, 'cause two's a crowd on my cloud, baby.
badge
If I were to hang my head, I'd miss all the rainbows. And I'd drown in raindrops instead.
mbmbmbmbmb
I do like backgammon a lot, and I've looked at Canoe before. The numbers on the cubes are a turn-off to me, but it sounds like a great game. Only reason I haven't bought it is that I figure I'd end up playing solo.

Btw, I wish I'd known about the J stroke when I went canoeing a couple years ago. My wife and I were zigzagging all across the lake, arguing with each other the whole time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chuck fresno
United States
California
flag msg tools
Are you still playing it 2 years later?

Oh, and watching the online tutorial and reading the FAQ just left me with lots of questions. The FAQ seemed like a list of exceptions in no logical order. The website for some reason doesn't have the rules to the game posted; instead opting for a long series of teensy videos of a sample game.

It would be nice to have the complete, concise of rules posted here -- since it is. according to the website, "a world class strategy game" ... whatever that means.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Perry
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

My son turned 13 this past year, my other kids are moved on and out of state. He could play backgammon at 11 but was having trouble grasping the concept of rotating dice left and right. So this past year we have played Canoe instead of backgammon. I just don't log all of our plays. We might be the only ones playing. We do play it and enjoy it.

Jim..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.