Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David G. Cox Esq.
Australia
Lighthouse Beach
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
Do what you can, with what you've got, where you are.
mbmbmbmbmb
Kapt’n Goldzahn

A Counting Game For Children
Designed by Christoph Cantzler & Anja Wrede
Published by Haba (2007)

Apparently only 1003 copies of this game have ever been purchased. The two designers purchased 500 copies each and the other three copies were purchased by the three geeks listed in the stats for the game.

The game comes in a miniscule package – this is a good thing as there is no deception regarding what comes with the game. Don’t you hate it when you purchase a massive box only to find that it is fill mainly with air.

The box states that the game is for two to four players. It possibly would even work with five pirates. The box also states that the game is for people aged 6 to 99. I can accept the bottom end but feel that the game doesn’t offer much to people over the age of 10. Possibly one or two parents, or grand-parents, playing with young children is an option - but I can’t really imagine adults, as a group, playing Capt’n Gold Tooth.

The game comes with a pirate ring – it doesn’t really serve any useful purpose in the game other than to raise the excitement level from ‘ice cold’ to ‘I think I am about to defrost.’ The ring almost starts to fit on the end of my little finger and I am tempted to have it made into a tiara or maybe put a cut in the ring so it may be worn through the nose or the ear.

The game also contains one of the smallest rule books I have encountered and 54 really good quality cards.

The game comes with basic rules and “professional” rules.

The object of the game is simple – be the person with the most cards in your hand by the end of the game.

Game play is equally simple. At the start of the game each player is dealt seven cards. These cards show pirates who will have a combination of hat, beard, tattoo, ear-ring, gold-tooth and/or hat. In the basic game you turn over a blue card (there are six of them) that depicts one of the previous features. At that stage players furiously check their cards to see how often that feature is depicted. The first person to count the features grabs the ring. At this point the other players check the count. If the player with the ring has counted accurately they add a card to their hand from the draw pile. If it turns out they miscounted then each of the other players adds a card to their hands.

The professional rules uses red cards instead of blue – these will show two features. When playing with these cards you search your hand looking for cards which have BOTh features depicted.

It’s a kids’ game. I’ll play it with my grand-kids but not with my gaming buddies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duncan Flint
United Kingdom
Gloucester
Gloucestershire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Could be an amusing filler after a hard evenings drinking.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Lockwood
Australia
Blacktown
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
By the sounds of it, a hard evenings drinking could well be the result of playing it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Mirkes
United States
La Crosse
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
Papa was a rollin' stone...
mbmbmbmbmb
This sounds like a kids' introduction to SET: recognizing traits and quantities at high speed. Maybe this might be a good game to play with youngsters, and when they grow tired of it, transition them to Set?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.