Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Wynand Louw
South Africa
Cape Town
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi

I have just played my third game of WOA and I am wondering about monster movement.

If the mosnter moves "One tile towards the nearest Hero" on which square does it stop on the new tile? If it is one tile away from the Hero and does not attack but moves closer, does it stop adjacent to the hero or someplace else?

The big reason I wonder is because of the caltrops and blade barriers: I place my caltrops on a tile the monster moves through. Why would he step on the caltrops if there is a path around them? Or why would he NOT step on the caltrops if they are difficult to see? And if he can see the caltrops why would he step on them even if there is no path around them and commit suicide? Is something with a humongous brain like a Grell really that stupid?

I houseruled that the guy who owns the monster can put the monster on the caltrops and kill him.

So help me out here!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikkel Øberg
Denmark
Virum
flag msg tools
badge
Ahh, you found me... Run!
mbmbmbmbmb
bielie wrote:

If the mosnter moves "One tile towards the nearest Hero" on which square does it stop on the new tile? If it is one tile away from the Hero and does not attack but moves closer, does it stop adjacent to the hero or someplace else?

I honestly cannot remember where, but one of the designers has stated that monsters moving to a new tile is always placed on the scorch mark - if that is occupied, the player controlling the monster chooses the square.

He also stated that the monsters are morons - they will enter the caltrops, place themselves unoptimally etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Volker Hirscher
Germany
Oftersheim
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a scorch marker on each tile, and if a monster moves, it moves on this square or dajacent (if the square itself is occupied).

Or did you mean something else?

Edit: Answered already, I had the page open for too long... But if the scorch square is occupied: Do I have to place the monster adjacent to it or anywhere on the tile?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wynand Louw
South Africa
Cape Town
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So that means I always place my Caltrops on the scorch marks?

Mikkel, I just read your post on the Dorn page. Which do you prefer, WOA or Dorn?

I am strongly considering getting Dorn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikkel Øberg
Denmark
Virum
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bielie wrote:
So that means I always place my Caltrops on the scorch marks?

Well, at least one of them One more thing from the FAQ at the Wizards website: If a monster moves adjacent to hero on another tile, it of course moves adjacent, ignoring the rules about scorch marks.

bielie wrote:
Mikkel, I just read your post on the Dorn page. Which do you prefer, WOA or Dorn?

I am strongly considering getting Dorn.

I prefer Dorn, but they are two different games. I see on your profile that you are not a fan of Small World either, that hyped bastard, so we are already on our way to become best buddies.

WoA and Caste Ravenloft are ultra-light dungeon rumps, more akin to a beer-and-pretzel game like Bang! in my book - it takes an hour (with less that four players), the semi-optimal move is apparent at most times, monster-diversity is low, treasures are basically stat-increases or attacks for the most part, and everything is automated. That is not to say I do not like WoA and CR, and have rated them both a seven. I enjoy both when I am in the mood for Descent: JitD, but I just don't have the time.

Dorn, on the other hand, is an eight for me because it is more tactical - its theme is more akin to Talisman than Descent, in that it is an adventure game, not a dungeon-crawler. I think that the excellent review by Todd Cutrona (Falcons) presents the game perfectly. It is a dice-less, very-little-luck version of the overlord-against-heroes mechanic from HeroQuest and Descent, but without all the fuss of random skills, random dice rolls, random card draws, fatigue, etc.

In summary: WoA is a beer-and-pretzel dungeon-run, best when you are 2-5 players looking for a quick monster-slaying party, with some loot and possible a level-up.

Dorn is a tactical adventure game, best when you are 2-4 players (I cannot see this being fun with more than four, and best with two) and you are feeling like adventuring into the wilds to try and outwit the opposing side - essentially if you feel like planning.

I hope this answers your question, I have played both a great deal and will be happy yo answer any questions you might have - although I suggest you post them in the Dorn- og WoA general forum.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
Osnabrück
flag msg tools
                                                             oooo                             ooo                             o    o                                      o     
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mavo wrote:
But if the scorch square is occupied: Do I have to place the monster adjacent to it or anywhere on the tile?

Place it anywhere you like, i.e. on additional caltrops if you like the monster to take damage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wynand Louw
South Africa
Cape Town
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Mikkel!

I think I'll order Dorn as soon as I can afford it, it is definitely my next buy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Mayes
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
If the monster tactics move it adjacent to a hero that overrides the scorch mark movement. A good tactic for caltrops/blade barrier is just to sit on the scorch mark so you can move the monsters onto the unused tokens.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just to add an "official" response, here's what the rulebook says:

Quote:
If the tactic requires the Monster to move to a new tile,
place the Monster on the new tile’s scorch mark if that
square is empty. Whenever possible, Monsters move from
tile to tile by following the scorch marks. If the scorch mark
square is occupied, place the Monster anywhere on the tile.

Wrath of Ashardalon rulebook pg 11

This answers the question when a monster moves from tile to tile (you place on scorchmark or if cannot, anywhere you want on that tile). It does not address the tactic of moving adjacent to the hero. Many players question which square to put it on, the one closest to where the monster came from, the one on the same tile, etc. Since the rules do not state, the only actual requirement is to make sure the monster is placed adjacent to the Hero. Any square, regardless of tile, can be considered adjacent.

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wynand Louw
South Africa
Cape Town
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks guys. I read the rulebook twice and still missed it. Curse you ADD!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikkel Øberg
Denmark
Virum
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bielie wrote:
Thanks Mikkel!

I think I'll order Dorn as soon as I can afford it, it is definitely my next buy.

I'm very glad to hear that, one can really feel the love that went into this game - it is not just a run-of-the-mill adventure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Volker Hirscher
Germany
Oftersheim
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just to throw in a different opinion: I did not like Dorn and prefer both D&D board games by far. Dorn was a rather dry experience for us. Maybe good as a tactical game (although again not for us), but not good as an adventure game...

We only played 2p though, so things might change with more players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikkel Øberg
Denmark
Virum
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mavo wrote:
Just to throw in a different opinion: I did not like Dorn and prefer both D&D board games by far. Dorn was a rather dry experience for us. Maybe good as a tactical game (although again not for us), but not good as an adventure game...

We only played 2p though, so things might change with more players.

I definitely understand your opinion, as this game easily ends up as a dry-run. Therefore, I would never play this game with people who favours analytical games, as they tend to over-analyze it and lose the flavour.

Just to clarify - I agree with your opinion in that the game can be played dryly for some groups, as this game isn't for everyone (as every other game).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.