Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Gallant
Canada
Dartmouth
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I brought out BSG with my school game group as I had several students pretty keen on committing 3-4 hours for this game after school.

This was everyone's first time with it and we had 5 players involved. We played about half of a game where it looked like this was an insanely hard game then we realized that we were playing the Cylon attack crisis cards wrong and placing new ships on BEFORE activating. We decided to start again since we had the time.

First player chose Apollo, then Tigh, then Chief, then Zarek, I chose Starbuck last. My reasoning was in the first "game" we played it seemed important to have people out in space shooting the crap out of stuff. Over the course of the game though, there were still lots of ships coming out and doing bad stuff and twice I ended up in sickbay. Is this normal to be shot out of the sky?

In the early game it looked like there were no Cylon players as everyone was helping out. Turns out Apollo was one and he was just helping skill checks with 1 cards.

Sleeper agent phase came and then it really went downhill for humans and the game was over 3-4 turns after the second cylon revealed.

I suspect the humans just played badly, but I'm not sure what else we could have done. We didn't take advantage of the President title much since it was passed to me at one point. Any thoughts? If you need more information to make an opinion, let me know.

As well, after a jump, it really felt kind of boring since it seemed like there wasn't much to do that would be useful. Any thoughts on this?

Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Bury
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
With just the base game, you can have situations where there is a lull in the fighting or alternatively a lot of Cylon Attack Cards all at once. It does seem to make every game a bit more unique, combat-wise.

The Exodus expansion does help to even out the appearance of Cylon ships, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Beck
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
Felix alearum famis! Et posse impares sumus erimus en tui semper favoris.
badge
Proprietor of The Bored Gaymer, BGG's most popular blog with the words "Bored" and "Gaymer" in the title!
mbmbmbmbmb
For new players, the game can be an uphill battle for the humans until they begin to discover useful strategies.

Utilizing Executive Orders (XOs) properly is a good way for humans to be more efficient with their turns; this can be dangerous when all of the Cylons have not revealed yet (because an XO to an unrevealed Cylon can have damaging consequences), but after they have revealed and it is safe to do so, XOs become powerful (since two actions on a turn is far better than one).

Scouting both the crisis and destination decks is something that can be very useful, and if there is a lull after a jump, that is an excellent time to be utilizing the President's Office to mine the Quorum deck for useful cards (to rebuild diminishing resoruces, for example), or to do other things like activate the Press Room to buttress humanity's cards to fend off crises.

I hope this helps a little!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ismael Kenig
Brazil
Brasília
Distrito Federal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can, as well, XO the president so he can mine the Quorum deck faster (using President's Office). Investigative Comitee helps save cards and make life harder for infiltraded cylons to spike skill checks.

What I suggest to you (and I did this previously) is to look carefully the subforum strategies here in BGG. You will learn a lot of cool stuff and useful tatics tried by other persons.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
The thing to keep in mind is that as a whole, the focus of the game isn't really on combat. The lull after a jump is a good time to repair Galactica, launch scouts, and as others have said, send XOs over to Colonial One for either the President's Office or the Press Room, to bolster the Quorum Deck or Skill Cards for the upcoming crises.

As far as playing the Cylon Attack Cards incorrectly, my group did that exact thing for about the first two or three games we played.

As far as being shot out of the sky as a pilot, one strategy to make sure you use is to just stay around your civilian ships rather than hunting Raiders. When the Raiders are two spaces away, the last thing you want to do is use your move and action to move into their space (unless that space has a civilian ship and you've got a healthy supply of Evasive Maneuvers). Let them come to you, and then hope somebody hands you an XO before they activate again, so you can thin out their numbers. The piloting skill cards help out a lot, and since they only rarely show up in skill checks, you can pretty much spend them freely to save yourself in space.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Grawan
Germany
Lehrte
Niedersachsen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My tips for the 'calm before the storm'-phases between two space battles:

- launch scouts and Vipers
- repair and restock on cards

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.