Subject: Are there icons showing which expansion cards come from? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nick PA
Denmark
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is simply for easy referencing the cards apart! I like it a lot in other games that i can separate expansions and base games!

So is there any way of deciphering which expansion a card comes from by just looking at the card?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Gregg
United States
Franklinville
NC
flag msg tools
designer
NightfallGame.com/FAQ
badge
boardgamegeek.com/thread/1234645
mbmbmbmbmb
Zerothi wrote:
This is simply for easy referencing the cards apart! I like it a lot in other games that i can separate expansions and base games!

So is there any way of deciphering which expansion a card comes from by just looking at the card?

Not yet blush

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Graham
United States
College Station
Texas
flag msg tools
I am Broccoli, most intelligent vegetable!
badge
I will destroy you all!
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, technically you could just do what I have done. Play the original game until you know every card really well. Then you can easily tell any card not from the base set at a glance
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Gregg
United States
Franklinville
NC
flag msg tools
designer
NightfallGame.com/FAQ
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Adding something to tell them apart has already been brought up and will hopefully be implemented asap. Not having them in the first place was an unfortunate oversight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobby Warren
United States
Glendale
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
La cheeserie!
mbmbmbmbmb
s3rvant wrote:
Adding something to tell them apart has already been brought up and will hopefully be implemented asap. Not having them in the first place was an unfortunate oversight.

I blame the bloodsuckers. Chaotic M****r f*****s!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick PA
Denmark
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Broccoli wrote:
Well, technically you could just do what I have done. Play the original game until you know every card really well. Then you can easily tell any card not from the base set at a glance
I am a newbie...
I now, but no matter what, if i play the game with several new players in the first couple of months it is easier to let them do some work, i.e. repack cards, bring forth new cards. They will probably not play the game as much as me. And so icons/marks are really nice in this case!

In general i think that a method of dividing cards by just looking at them is the best method to solve this problem, anything as subtle as in for instance Race for the Galaxy, where people asked questions about how to tell them apart as late as in the second expansion!

I want it more technical! Not by memorizing names or effects!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Zerothi wrote:
Broccoli wrote:
I am a newbie...
I now, but no matter what, if i play the game with several new players in the first couple of months it is easier to let them do some work, i.e. repack cards, bring forth new cards. They will probably not play the game as much as me. And so icons/marks are really nice in this case!

In general i think that a method of dividing cards by just looking at them is the best method to solve this problem, anything as subtle as in for instance Race for the Galaxy, where people asked questions about how to tell them apart as late as in the second expansion!

I want it more technical! Not by memorizing names or effects!

It sounds like it will be there (though I'm surprised they didn't have it already if they did it for Thunderstone).

Though it seems less important in Nightfall at least for the first two sets.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Bolme
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We do list the entire card set on the back of the rulebook.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick PA
Denmark
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
edbolme wrote:
We do list the entire card set on the back of the rulebook.
I know!
Icons are just better than a rulebook in my opinion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Hunter
United Kingdom
Horsham
flag msg tools
I agree icons are the way to go, it is much easier just to look at the card icon and immediately know which set it is from.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Kernersville
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Why does it matter? I do not ever seperate the sets. I combine them into one set and play the game. I have all of Thunderstone combined and will never worry about seperating it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick PA
Denmark
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
xraine69 wrote:
Why does it matter? I do not ever seperate the sets. I combine them into one set and play the game. I have all of Thunderstone combined and will never worry about seperating it.
Apparently you havn't meet me! It matters a great deal to me.

I like to keep things in neat order! I always separate the cards from each other. It will make setup (for me) a lot faster. If you don't think it does then good! But that just doesn't work for me!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Zerothi wrote:
xraine69 wrote:

I like to keep things in neat order! I always separate the cards from each other. It will make setup (for me) a lot faster. If you don't think it does then good! But that just doesn't work for me!

You wouldn't just keep them in one box with dividers sorted alphabetically?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Gregg
United States
Franklinville
NC
flag msg tools
designer
NightfallGame.com/FAQ
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
xraine69 wrote:
Why does it matter?

I personally like to be able to quickly answer people who say things like "Oh I really like that card, let me know what set that comes in so I can get that card too".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Graf
Germany
Koblenz
flag msg tools
designer
Help me! I got addicted to MtG again!
badge
Help me! I got addicted to MtG again!
mbmbmbmbmb
s3rvant wrote:
xraine69 wrote:
Why does it matter?

I personally like to be able to quickly answer people who say things like "Oh I really like that card, let me know what set that comes in so I can get that card too".

David, aren't you supposed to know every card directly from mind?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Kernersville
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I keep mine alphabetized in the box, with minion orders seperated from action orders. It is easier for me to open the PDF of the rules on my phone and tell someone which set the card comes from. Otherwise, you would have to open the box and search for the card.whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Gregg
United States
Franklinville
NC
flag msg tools
designer
NightfallGame.com/FAQ
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lydon wrote:
David, aren't you supposed to know every card directly from mind?

Well, given that I spend most of my time playing with zero-art non-final card names, I actually have a pretty hard time telling which set some of the final cards come from...

Also, I like to keep my grouped by color first, then alphabetically within each color
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick PA
Denmark
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lfisher wrote:
Zerothi wrote:
xraine69 wrote:

Not in the spirit of me! I would still prefer icons and have them divided by expansion!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Kernersville
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Zerothi wrote:
lfisher wrote:
Zerothi wrote:
xraine69 wrote:

Not in the spirit of me! I would still prefer icons and have them divided by expansion!

It was mentioned in another thread, that the dividers are marked with the expansion. So, there you go.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Carvalho
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
I dwell in possibility
badge
Forever is composed of nows
mbmb
I am thinking that will most likely iron out all the stuff that they "missed" in other printings (I’m crossing my fingers for the icons as well). I enjoy this game immensely, and I can’t wait for martial law but for some reason I feel as if this game is a work in progress in terms of development and production (and before anyone jumps down my throat I know the game is still in its infancy and is still being fleshed out).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vince Lupo
United States
ALEXANDRIA
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I suspect that I'll just integrate all cards in no particular order for randomness or alphabetical.

I pull dividers out of the box when I pull the cards out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vince Lupo
United States
ALEXANDRIA
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

And when I draft I might not use the draft card, but rather the cards themselves, with dividers or not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick PA
Denmark
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Neo42 wrote:

And when I draft I might not use the draft card, but rather the cards themselves, with dividers or not.

I didn't quite get this last one? So exactly how do you draft? Do you pull out one card from each pile?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Gregg
United States
Franklinville
NC
flag msg tools
designer
NightfallGame.com/FAQ
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Zerothi wrote:
Do you pull out one card from each pile?

That is probably what he means. It's also how we draft while playtesting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vince Lupo
United States
ALEXANDRIA
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Zerothi wrote:
Neo42 wrote:

I didn't quite get this last one? So exactly how do you draft? Do you pull out one card from each pile?

More like 4 stacks of cards with dividers. So when you choose a "card" you just plop down the stack in front of you. Depending on the draft format, face down or not.

It's what I'll try next time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.