Popular Tags: [View All]
David Bernier
Canada
Quebec
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi quick question about the expansions: Do you mix EVERY cards you get in the expansions with the vanilla ones? Or you have to play them separately?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Leder
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good question. I know with Arkham I split them up by expansion.

With Talisman though we mix them all together and use them all at once. Maybe this dilutes things, but you need things like the trap door to deliver you to the dungeon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Slotten
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I mix them all. Talisman is great; if I don't want to play Dungeon or Highlands it doesn't affect the mix since those boards have their own adventure decks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bernier
Canada
Quebec
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok so we mix the small box expansions with the vanilla cards and the big boxes expansion cards are played separately?

Good to know!

At lunch time i'm going to grab The Reaper expansion and next week I'll receive The Sacred Pool. Didn't even played my first game but i'm a sucker for variety!!!!!!!

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberto Silva
Italy
CARPI (MO)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello,

The common cards like Spell, Adventures etc ... must be mixed with the base game decks; the exceptions to this are stated in the expanions manuals (for example, some of the adventures cards for the Highland can be used only with the expansion).

Roberto

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Slotten
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, the big box expansions still come with new spells and 'base' adventure cards as well. They can still be mixed no problem, even if not playing Dungeon or Highlands.

I really enjoy the variety in this game. I mix everything. Strange, with Arkham Horror I don't. Hmmm...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberto Silva
Italy
CARPI (MO)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GreenM wrote:
Good question. I know with Arkham I split them up by expansion ...

I have to disagree on that ... I have AH and all the expansions, but beside location cards related to other cities, some mythod cards and few others, all the "standard ones" should be mixed with the base game cards.
For "standard" I mean the location cards for Arkham and the investigator cards (Unique, weapons, spells, etc ...).

Roberto

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jin TS
Malaysia
Petaling Jaya
Selangor
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Normally players tend to mix everything in, and in this, i mean all those general adventure cards, spells, quests, etc..except those from highland and dungeon adventure cards, where it is more specific to be used only when the new region is played.

Haivng said this, there is no hard rules stating that which cards must be played and which must not. I personally feel that this is a very personal choice and it's a good idea u try play Talisman a couple of times with and without certain cards. There u may find the right mix and style which u will enjoy playing. The good varieties and choices from expansions really fits the function of catering to different playing needs from different players.

I have played with all expansion's cards in and the adventure deck has now transformed into few stacks of "high rise building", and making it very unlikely to see certain cards to make appearance during game. I know some players trim the cards and personally pull out certain cards just to ensure the game play works to their liking, etc. U may want to test it out, and if it doesn't work, then just stick to whatever u think is best or most enjoyable, and playing all the cards still, may not be a bad idea after all. It really make the game play more unpredictable and choatic in nature, i think, and that's not a bad thing if u like playing this way. I'm fine with that except that it drags the game time longer that's all.

Hope this helps.

Jin
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lorenzo Carnevale
Italy
Roma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I suggest to use only core-game spells and characters if more than half of the players are new to Talisman. Also avoid using Warlock Quests cards, maybe. The expansions tend to be more complex and you run the risk of having those players lose interest early, especially for those things that are not open information.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bernier
Canada
Quebec
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I finally decided to mix everything and it was a blast. After I bought the base game I immediately got The Reaper and The Sacred Pool which we used for our first 2 games in the same evening. Damn this game is fun!

Today I got The Dungeon at my local gameshop and in a couple of weeks The Frostmarsh will be delivered to me.

Can't wait to try The Dungeon tomorrow!!!!!! Look really cool!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Kelly
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
Allow me to introduce myself. I am Hexachlorophene J. Goodfortune, Kidnapper-At-Large, and Devourer of Tortoises par Excellence, at your service.
badge
If you can read this, then this sentence is false.
mbmbmbmbmb
Solaris wrote:
I suggest to use only core-game spells and characters if more than half of the players are new to Talisman. Also avoid using Warlock Quests cards, maybe. The expansions tend to be more complex and you run the risk of having those players lose interest early, especially for those things that are not open information.

Warlock quest cards are open information, and I don't find them to be any more complex than the base quests. I say keep everything in except the expansion boards and the alternate ending (maybe use Crown & Scepter).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.