Popular Tags: [View All]
Gerald Katz
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SUBVERSIVE Reveal/Novice/Optional

Lures Opponent's Allies

You have the power of subversion. As a main player, after encounter cards have been revealed, you may use this power take the ships of one of your opponent's allies and move them to your end of the cone. The ally's ships are then treated just as if the player had allied with you. That is, the ships are added to your total, the ally is rewarded if your side wins, the ships go to the warp if your side loses, and so on.

HISTORY: Born on a planet of illusion and deceit, the Subversive has learned sophisticated techniques for undermining its enemies. As the unsuspecting enemy is building an elaborate alliance, the Subversive is setting its trap to turn defeat into victory.

FLARE

Resolution
Wild: After winning an encounter as the offensive player, you can subvert your allies' new colonies, sending their ships to the warp instead.

Reveal
Super: You may subvert an ally on the opposing side when you are an ally.

Commentary: This is a combat power originally produced by Mayfair. This is a good power. Every encounter point counts. By subverting an ally, your encounter total is effectively increased by double the amount of ships subverted. Sadistic Subversive players, and you should always be one, subvert an ally's ships even if you will lose the encounter anyway.

Here is one case where Fantasy Flight giving the Grudge power tokens to use actually works to the game's advantage for the sake of play. In Mayfair, it was debatable if a player who originally allied with Grudge but was taken by Subversive would be subject to Grudge's power. The player did ally with Grudge at first but then became no longer an ally. It leaned toward the player isn't affected by Grudge, but the Grudge power had a claim. Because in Fantasy Flight a Grudge token is given during Alliance to those who did not ally, it is clear the player is unaffected because he wasn't given a token.

Gerald Katz
Don't forget to tip the Butler!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jefferson Krogh
United States
San Leandro
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I love this power, unless someone else is playing him.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Walters
United States
Hercules
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

You know, that just might work.

It has several interesting effects on the game.

If I'm going to ally against Subversive, I'm tempted to put in more ships since I would like him to bring *my* ships and not someone else's over to the winning side. On the other hand, if this power won't make the difference between winning and losing and Subversive is just going to punish someone, I have more vulnerability.

Remember that moving two ships from one side to the other is the same as playing a +4 Reinforcement, pretty shiny. On the other hand, that attracts high Attack cards.

Of course, I can completely neutralize this power by not inviting allies.

How would this power interact with Lunatic, I wonder.

Andrew
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mil Myman
United States
Fountain Valley
California
flag msg tools
Why is there no Word Games Forum or Subdomain?
badge
There should be a Word Games Subdomain, or at least a Word Games Forum!
mbmbmbmbmb
andreww wrote:

It wouldn't, unless it's a multi-power game and someone is the Subversive-Lunatic. Then he could subvert his own allied ships and have up to 8 of his own ships on his side, allying with himself.

My mother always told me not to ally with myself. She said I'd go blind.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just a Bill
United States
Norfolk
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
No, I said "oh, brother," not "go hover."
mbmbmbmbmb
Phil Fleischmann wrote:
andreww wrote:

It wouldn't, unless it's a multi-power game and someone is the Subversive-Lunatic. Then he could subvert his own allied ships and have up to 8 of his own ships on his side, allying with himself.

The other possibility, outside of multi-power: If Lunatic has his Super flare, these two players can benefit each other ... Super Lunatic allies at max on both sides and defensive Subversive pulls Lunatic's 4 offensive ally ships to the defensive side for a +8 swing in the encounter totals and 8 rewards for Lunatic if they win.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris O
msg tools
Pixeling ain't easy, but someone's gotta do it...
badge
LION OF JUDAH
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the power but don't like the name as it is merely an adjective.

I'd prefer something along the lines of "Insurgent". Maybe even "Maverick" or "Heretic".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just a Bill
United States
Norfolk
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Messianic wrote:
it is merely an adjective.

Agree, but so is "Insurgent". ;-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris O
msg tools
badge
LION OF JUDAH
mbmbmbmbmb
An insurgent is also a noun.

–noun
a person who rises in forcible opposition to lawful authority, especially a person who engages in armed resistance to a government or to the execution of its laws; rebel.
a member of a section of a political party that revolts against the methods or policies of the party.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Walters
United States
Hercules
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

A person who holds or advocates subversive ideas can be called "a subversive," so it's a noun as well as an adjective.

Andrew
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just a Bill
United States
Norfolk
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You guys are both right; they both started as adjectives and then became accepted as nouns through shortcut usage, like countless other adjectives in the language. That was basically my point: not much difference between the two in that regard.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mil Myman
United States
Fountain Valley
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
FFG-published aliens with names that are adjectives:

Barbarian
Chosen
Human
Mutant
Shadow
Guerilla
Mercenary
Relic
Visionary

Of course, these can all be nouns as well.

And of course, there are several that are verbs (as well as nouns):

Clone
Filch (never a noun)
Hate
Mind
Reserve
Shadow
Void
Will
Bully
Plant
Mimic

And some that aren't words at all:

Fido (at least not in English)
Macron (well, it's a word, but it doesn't really mean anything having to do with the alien)
Reincarnator
Spiff (maybe a slang word, that also has nothing to do with the alien)
Tick-Tock (an onomatopoeia, at most)
Tripler
Vulch
Warpish
Chronos
Cryo (a prefix)
Empath (maybe considered a word in the context of scifi)
The Claw (two words)
Warhawk (maybe)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Walters
United States
Hercules
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Um, I don't know if the thread is actually enhanced by this quibble, but a lot of your "aren't words at all" are words.

What's our standard for "word vs. not-a"? Is Merriam-Webster good enough? Compare...

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/dfafasdfa
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/tripler
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/spiff
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/empath
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/warhawk
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/fido

Curiously, a fido is a coin with a minting error. You learn something new everyday.

Andrew

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris O
msg tools
badge
LION OF JUDAH
mbmbmbmbmb
The whole "not real words" are actually the aliens with the best names, because they take an English word and then build a little on it to make an alien name. They sound the most alien to me and I like that. For example:

The only name on Phil's list that really makes no sense is Vulch. That seems to be a 100% made up word. Even Macron makes sense since it is based off "Macro" for "big".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just a Bill
United States
Norfolk
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Messianic wrote:
The only name on Phil's list that really makes no sense is Vulch.

And it's always been my favorite; I wish there were more like that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mar hawkman
msg tools
For all have sinned and fallen short of the glory
mbmbmbmbmb
Messianic wrote:
The whole "not real words" are actually the aliens with the best names, because they take an English word and then build a little on it to make an alien name. They sound the most alien to me and I like that. For example:

The only name on Phil's list that really makes no sense is Vulch. That seems to be a 100% made up word. Even Macron makes sense since it is based off "Macro" for "big".
Vulch is based on "vulture", the carrion eating bird. The spelling is different, but most people tend to pronounce vulture as "vulch'er", not "vul'tur".

It makes sense thematically as both are scavengers. Vutch scavenges used artifacts, vultures scavenge dead animals.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xagyg
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't like the boring names like Diplomat, Mercenary, etc. What's next "Office Worker"?

Diplomat could have been Diplos or Diplax or something like that (although then it is a challenge to keep it from sounding like cough medicine).

Naming isn't always easy.

I like the names that are based on a word (latin or otherwise) and modified, such as Chronos, Macron etc., that give an inkling to what their power is based on (without being plain boring about it).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mil Myman
United States
Fountain Valley
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Didn't mean to derail the thread. I thought I was perfectly clear. The idea that adjectives are not appropriate names for aliens (even when they are also nouns) is silly. The premise being that nouns are OK, but other parts of speech aren't, and yet names that aren't words at all are OK, and words that have nothing to do with the alien are OK?

I even made special effort to make myself clear, acknowledging that Spiff for example is indeed a word, but it has nothing to do with the alien.

Nor was I complaining about the names. Warpish isn't a word at all, and while there might have been better names for the alien, it works and makes sense. I find most of the names to be just fine. I am happy with almost all of them. Hmmm... now I feel the need to enumerate the few I do have a problem with: Fodder, Kamikaze, Mite, Shadow, Spiff, Merchant, Mimic, The Claw. 8 out of 90, less than 10% - not too bad, and I might not even count Merchant and Mimic, which are at least partially OK, and The Claw would be fine without the The, which takes it down to 5 out of 90. There are a few others that are suboptimal, but acceptable.

marhawkman wrote:
Messianic wrote:
Vulch is based on "vulture", the carrion eating bird. The spelling is different, but most people tend to pronounce vulture as "vulch'er", not "vul'tur".

It makes sense thematically as both are scavengers. Vutch scavenges used artifacts, vultures scavenge dead animals.

It's also a reference to the similar power Filch - one picks up discarded encounter cards, the other picks up discarded artifact cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mar hawkman
msg tools
For all have sinned and fallen short of the glory
mbmbmbmbmb
true.

Spiff is awesome!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.