Popular Tags: [View All]
Gláucio Reis
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I have just read the new rules and would like to compare the two editions.

Theme

For the better or for the worse, they moved the theme from a simple evolutionary race in the age of dinosaurs, where each player represented a dinosaur species, into the realm of plain Science-Fiction. Each player now represents a tribe that has a psychic (!) connection with one of the dinosaur species and wants to help it by using their knowledge of Biology to influence their evolution.

Art

I like the more realistic art, but I also thought the cartoony style of the original matched the light humor intended. The new art does look much more beautiful, and each species has a different picture on the player board. The old art was the same for all player boards, but I guess some veteran players will miss attaching the gene tiles to their dinosaur and the possibility of placing those genes wherever they wanted. Now the genes have fixed spots on the boards and don't blend in with the dinosaur pictures.

Board

The original game had two double-sided half-boards, and the halves would combine in different ways depending on the number of players. The new version made it simpler with two double-sided boards, a la Small World, one side for each number of players. The boards have been redesigned, but the number of spaces is close (70 in the old 5-player board, 72 in the new one, for example). The most significant change is that there is a board for two players. Yes, now Evo can be played with just two players!

Player pieces

The wooden discs have been replaced with one single generic type of "dino meeple". I'd have preferred plastic miniatures, but if at least they had made the shapes unique for each player, it would be fine. Unfortunately, they all look the same and are a downgrade from the original discs, that had silhouettes of the respective dino species. And how about the colors? I'm not color-blind, but does anyone think red, blue, purple, dark purple and black is a good choice?

Notice that there are only eight dinos for each player now, instead of ten, and two of each, instead of one, start on the board. And each player starts with two legs, also instead of one, but no fur or parasol (now termoregulation layer).

Climate

The climate board has been replaced by a disc with pointers. It does look much better (reminded me the ones from Thebes) and more elegant, but I'm not sure it will be easier to read. Personally, I've never had any problem with the old board, but many players did, and I eventually added extra fur and parassol tokens to be placed on the climate areas adjacent to the big disc.

The meteor and climate changes are now determined by a stack of 12 tokens. They tell how the pointers move, and contain the meteor among the bottom three. Hopefully they didn't messs with the original probablities too much, but there is at least one token that makes the pointers move twice.

Combat

The die is definitely a good change. OK, all the old common d6 needed was a small results table outside of the rulebook for reference. But they actually have put symbols on the die, and each side efficiently indicates a failure or success for the attacker, taking into account the difference in number of horns to the defender. Combat remains essentially the same, but it's easier on the attacker now. If he fails, he doesn't lose his dino, nothing happens.

Mutations

Notice the change in order of the phase, which used to be at the end of the round. This is an important change, in that players now have information on the next climate before acquiring new genes. There also a few other changes. The tail (initiative) gene has been eliminated and other "unique genes" have been added. Mostly (all?) of these were cards in the original game. The cards are still part of the game, and now one of the "genes" being auctioned is obligatorily a card, but their number has been drastically reduced from 26 to 15. What I find odd is that some of the more powerful cards made into genes, maybe to balance their acquisition via the auction, but now they are permanent, what makes them even more powerful. I wonder if there is a mistake under their header and the writer actually meant to write they are not permanent.

Initiative

Without tail genes, turn order is determined primarily by number of dinos on the board, and then by a more or less random order based on the line of the table from where the players got their last gene. This isn't bad. Sometimes a player would get a single tail and go first for the rest of the game.

Movement

This stays the same, as far as I can tell. But there is a gene that allow your dinos to swim (to any coastal space), and another gene to fly (skip a space).

Births

Instead of placing the baby dinos all at once, the players go in turns, placing one baby dino at a time, as long as their eggs permit. The restriction on placing them only next to adult dinos (that were on the board at the start of the round) has been removed. A player with all dinos on the board may remove one to place it as new. All of this certainly makes things easier, but I liked it the way it was.

Survival

No changes here.

End of the game and scoring

It now happens at the start of the round, during the climate phase. You turn up a token, and if it is the meteor, the game ends. And everyone calculates their mutation points, as they are hidden now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
On-Line Want List Generator - Hopefully Making Math Trades a Little Bit Easier
badge
Captain Kirk, Captain Picard, Captain Sisko, Captain Janeway, Captain Archer
mbmbmbmbmb
yea, I took a quick read through/look of the rules too and am just glad that I didn't put my copy of the original edition up for sale when I heard the news of the reworking/reprint.... now going to keep it!

I personally do *not* like the new art work... nor do I like the climate "wheel". The main thing I do like are the dino meeples but that's so minor.

I do notice I think one key rule change that before was just a popular user variant... have one less gene mutation available for auction than the number of players.

I do wonder if there are plans for mini small world style expansions now for the new version
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gláucio Reis
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
JeffyJeff wrote:
I do notice I think one key rule change that before was just a popular user variant... have one less gene mutation available for auction than the number of players.

I thought the same thing at first, before reading the full text, but the missing gene is just to account for the event card that is always part of the auction. One player takes the card, while the others take genes, but everyone gets something. I'm glad they kept the original rule and didn't listen to some vocal minority.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GSReis wrote:
JeffyJeff wrote:

I thought the same thing at first, before reading the full text, but the missing gene is just to account for the event card that is always part of the auction. One player takes the card, while the others take genes, but everyone gets something. I'm glad they kept the original rule and haven't listened to some vocal minority.

correction: majority ... everyone I know who has played with the "variant" says it's the *only* way they will play it... at least up here it's a super *majority* ... even though I personally can't comment as I've only played once or twice going by the original official rules
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lindsey Dubb
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I notice another change with the game end -- I don't think you change the number of turns based on the number of players.

On the whole, that's a lot of changes -- It'll be tough to judge whether it's an improvement without giving it a play. My hunch is that it'll be a bit better -- the unique genes should create a big scramble both in the bidding and in their effects. And I like the bid-on-a-card column -- It's probably going to be a booby prize, so it's a lot like bidding on n-1 genes, but with a small bonus so the player who lost out doesn't feel as bad about it. I like some of the player aid changes -- The climate wheel emphasizes the circular way climate works in the game, the combat die is a big improvement, and I think the climate tokens will make it harder to mess up and forget to move the turn marker.

But the smaller maximum population, the lack of 'tails' (except for the adrenaline gene), the lack of starting parasols/fur, and the attacker surviving losing combat are pretty big changes, too, and it's hard to guess how those will play out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lindsey Dubb
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
And it just occurred to me -- You'll be able to count climate change tokens and sometimes be able to rule out certain changes near the end of the game. That'll be... weird. We'll see how well that plays.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lindsey Dubb
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Here's another change -- Victory points (mutation points) are noted with tokens instead of a track. So they're a) hidden, and b) you can't accidentally knock a token off and lose track of how many points you had. Both parts of that sound good to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gláucio Reis
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Lindsey wrote:
I notice another change with the game end -- I don't think you change the number of turns based on the number of players.

Correct. The meteor starting at different spaces on the track was a nice way to not extend the length of the game too much as you added more players. Now you have 13 climate tokens plus a meteor (shuffled with the bottom two), and one of the climate tokens is randomly left out. The game will last 9-11 turns, regardless of the number of players.

Quote:
the unique genes should create a big scramble both in the bidding and in their effects.

Yes, but I'm still concerned about balance if the unique genes are really permanent. The card that allowed you to place new dinos at a distance of three spaces was very good when used at the right time, but it was one-use only (like all other cards). Now it is a gene, giving the same benefit to the player every turn.

Quote:
And I like the bid-on-a-card column -- It's probably going to be a booby prize, so it's a lot like bidding on n-1 genes, but with a small bonus so the player who lost out doesn't feel as bad about it.

I don't think so. In the original game, there was the card gene, and I have seen multiple occasions when a player chose to take it over something else. The real difference is that you no longer have card genes in the bag, and a card is one of the available choices every turn. Also, the players don't start the game with cards in hand anymore.

Another change in the auction, by the way, is that now there is a maximum bid of 6. Although it was extremely rare someone bid that high, the limit avoids the problem of tracking higher bids.

Quote:
I like some of the player aid changes -- The climate wheel emphasizes the circular way climate works in the game,

Yes, but the relations among the different terrains is lost. You knew, for example, that beaches were always the hottest place, and that forests would always be one step colder. This is totally unintuitive in the wheel. The ideal terrain is shown as a solid stripe near the center of the wheel, but the other stripes just mean hot, deadly and cold, in this order, and the actual terrain types are dots inside each stripe. Notice that there is no visual distinction between deadly cold and deadly hot.

Quote:
the combat die is a big improvement,

On that, I agree.

Quote:
and I think the climate tokens will make it harder to mess up and forget to move the turn marker.

Yes, as they are now the same thing.

Quote:
But the smaller maximum population, the lack of 'tails' (except for the adrenaline gene),

I hadn't given much thought about the adrenaline gene, but now that you mentioned it, it just seems broken. If it appears in the first turn, the player who gets it may simply play first for the rest of the game, and even choose to play in any other turn position if he thinks it's more advantageous.

Now I'm almost convinced that there is an error in the rules, and unique genes are supposed to be used once and then discarded. Notice that the sentence below the headers for normal and unique genes, saying their effects are permanent, is exactly the same for both. In that case, they could just have put the sentence above the first header, stating that all genes are permanent, no need to repeat it later. I strongly believe the sentence under "unique genes" was supposed to say their effects are non-permanent. Another piece of evidence is that the unique genes are clearly marked with a red dot.

Quote:
the lack of starting parasols/fur,

The extra leg should compensate for that.

Quote:
and the attacker surviving losing combat are pretty big changes, too,

The obvious purpose is to make combat more frequent, and I think it's a good change. Usually you would attack with an advantage, but sometimes a bad roll would make you lose a dino and waste a movement, which is something pretty big in this game.

Quote:
You'll be able to count climate change tokens and sometimes be able to rule out certain changes near the end of the game. That'll be... weird.

Yes, it's more predictable, but it's no different than using a dice deck. Some people like it, some don't. Considering that a "1" at a crucial moment could be devastating to a player's strategy, I think I like it - unless they mess with the original probabilities (in 12 tokens, there should be 8 "move clockwise", 2 "move couterclockwise" and 2 "stay in place").

Quote:
Here's another change -- Victory points (mutation points) are noted with tokens instead of a track. So they're a) hidden, and b) you can't accidentally knock a token off and lose track of how many points you had. Both parts of that sound good to me.

I had mentioned they were hidden, and I thought tokens were implied. I prefer VPs to be hidden in games like Small World (just to mention one from the same designer), so that players will not gang up on the leader, but it's different in Evo, where there is very little you can do to stop a runaway leader, except for the occasional and circunstancial card. So, I prefer the VP track for this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gláucio Reis
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Taking another glance at the manual, I noticed two things I had overlooked: full boards instead of halves that could be combined in different ways, and most important, the game now supports 2 players. I'm editing the original post to include this info.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Shaffer
United States
San Francisco
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lindsey wrote:

Hidden trackable information sounds like a negative to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JeffyJeff wrote:
GSReis wrote:
JeffyJeff wrote:

I thought the same thing at first, before reading the full text, but the missing gene is just to account for the event card that is always part of the auction. One player takes the card, while the others take genes, but everyone gets something. I'm glad they kept the original rule and haven't listened to some vocal minority.

correction: majority ... everyone I know who has played with the "variant" says it's the *only* way they will play it... at least up here it's a super *majority* ... even though I personally can't comment as I've only played once or twice going by the original official rules

While the n-1 genes rule tended to make the bidding more important, the best thing about that rule was that you had two turns in which the meteo didn't move. With only one dino and one leg, if you didn't use this rule, the game was over before you could do anything.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Bachman
United States
Colonie
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JeffyJeff wrote:
GSReis wrote:
JeffyJeff wrote:

Somehow, even with the number of gamers you may play with, I find it hard to believe that they make up the majority of Evo gamers. It may be a popular variant, but that doesn't mean it is used by more players than those who use the published rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you think the new edition will play quicker?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gláucio Reis
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Falcons wrote:
Do you think the new edition will play quicker?

In the old version, a 5-player game lasts 8 to 11 rounds, 9 being statistically the most frequent. Add one more round for 4 players, and another for 3. In the new version, there is an equal probability for 9, 10 or 11 rounds, with any number of players. So, it shouldn't change much, but 5-player games will actually be a bit longer on average.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lindsey Dubb
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
GSReis wrote:
Lindsey wrote:
the unique genes should create a big scramble both in the bidding and in their effects.

Yes, but I'm still concerned about balance if the unique genes are really permanent...

It sure looks like they're permanent. I think a lot of them will be roughly on the same level as the non-unique genes. The ones which look really strong to me are Thick Shell, Adrenaline Rush, Flippers (if it works multiple times per turn, which isn't clear), and Sixth Sense. But it's tough for me to judge just how strong they are without playing them -- The board density could well be different, the turn order changes could affect Adrenaline, etc.

A bunch of them sound really fun to play (which is different from being really powerful) -- I suspect there will be a Dune-style bluffing game once someone has Sixth Sense, Chameleon skin could really change board tactics, Large Horn can make you terrifying and simultaneously vulnerable, and so on.

Quote:
(Whether the card column will be a consolation prize for the loser in the gene auction) In the original game, there was the card gene, and I have seen multiple occasions when a player chose to take it over something else.

My group plays a variant where you get two cards instead of one -- and we still tend to treat it as a last choice! So our groups' play differs a bit, there. Of course, it's very possible the cards in this version will be completely new, so who knows how good they'll be?

Quote:
Another change in the auction, by the way, is that now there is a maximum bid of 6. Although it was extremely rare someone bid that high, the limit avoids the problem of tracking higher bids.

We'll see how that interacts with the stronger unique genes and the changes in turn order. Here's hoping that Asmodee tested it well.

Quote:
(The new climate wheel)
Yes, but the relations among the different terrains is lost...

I'm somewhat biased on this -- Even after playing lots of games, I keep getting myself confused about whether the color in the Eurogames version represents the sun strength or the ideal climate area. I've fried a dinosaur more than once by getting it wrong.

Quote:
(effect of hidden VPs) I prefer VPs to be hidden in games like Small World (just to mention one from the same designer), so that players will not gang up on the leader, but it's different in Evo, where there is very little you can do to stop a runaway leader, except for the occasional and circunstancial card...

It may be easier to gang up in this version, since attacks tend to cost less.

Anyhow, it'll be fun to see how all these changes work out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Hammond
United States
League City
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Are the unique genes awarded by cards?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
if these unique genes are permanent (vs. one use) this is starting to sound like Primordial Soup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Hammond
United States
League City
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dlhammond wrote:
Are the unique genes awarded by cards?

I was thinking if they were awarded by cards then it would help level somewhat how much the cards are not favored (since they are always single use) and is balanced by your bonus is random (might not help your strategy as much as a specific mutation).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ward wrote:
JeffyJeff wrote:
GSReis wrote:
JeffyJeff wrote:

Somehow, even with the number of gamers you may play with, I find it hard to believe that they make up the majority of Evo gamers. It may be a popular variant, but that doesn't mean it is used by more players than those who use the published rules.

Please re-read as I never claimed the set of gamers I game with make up the majority of all Evo players (if that was the case then this game wouldn't be in the final stages of being revised/republished), but I can indeed say it's a super majority among the set of gamers I game with, just as I would expect you to be able to say one way or the other for the set of gamers you game with.

As for the number of overall gamers who play Evo? Well obviously that's really hard to know either way as it's hard to know how many gamers who have or do play Evo even know about the N-1 (+2 more rounds) variant, so obviously I was implicitly talking only about the subset who know what the variant is, just as I inferred GSReis was when they made the assertion that it's a "vocal minority" that prefer the variant. In fact I'm surprised you responded to my assertion that out of this subset that the "majority" (which simply means 51%+) but apparently believe GSReis's much strong assertion of "vocal minority" (the "vocal" adjective imho infers "tiny" or "small").

In any case if anyone is curious (as this variant would appear to be applicable to this new edition), see

Why do people enjoy X-1 bidding for genes? (mini rant)

and

Let's settle this: N or N-1 genes?

the latter one actually has a link to a poll of sorts (not using the bgg poll tool)... and if one does base it on the thumbs the two relevant GL items those who prefer the N mutations/round (as rules written) are in the "majority".... *but* also clearly shows that those who prefer N-1 are not a small minority but a significant minority (vs. a small "vocal" minority) which obviously what I was responding to from GSReis's post.

All this talk makes me want to get my copy of Evo 1 to the table again and play with the N-1 variant.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gláucio Reis
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
JeffyJeff wrote:
... also clearly shows that those who prefer N-1 are not a small minority but a significant minority (vs. a small "vocal" minority) which obviously what I was responding to from GSReis's post.

I don't know where you got the idea that "vocal" means "tiny" or "small". Often a protesting minority is much more vocal than the majority that is fine with things as they are, and for the outside reader/listener, this minority may appear to be a majority. That's all I meant, and you yourself has just admitted it is, indeed, a minority. Now, please, can we get back on topic?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GSReis wrote:
JeffyJeff wrote:
... also clearly shows that those who prefer N-1 are not a small minority but a significant minority (vs. a small "vocal" minority) which obviously what I was responding to from GSReis's post.

I don't know where you got the idea that "vocal" means "tiny" or "small". Often a protesting minority is much more vocal than the majority that is fine with things as they are, and for the outside reader/listener, this minority may appear to be a majority. That's all I meant, and you yourself has just admitted it is, indeed, a minority. Now, please, can we get back on topic?

please read my entire post as I also clearly said "imho". maybe it's a language and/or geographic thing but "vocal minority" from my experience generally has an implication that the minority in question is small or otherwise dismissive of that minority as simply being a handful of loud mouths. You are the one who brought "vocal minority" into the discussion so don't blame me for questioning your imho false assertion

As for "back on topic"... sorry if you disagree but we are on topic (see this threads title)... even the base poster indicated they too thought by just a quick look at the rules that it appeared the new editions rules incorporated the N-1 variant into it's standard rules. Even though it's now clear it doesn't... it's still very much on topic as this variant is claimed to be an official variant, and hence should be applicable to this new edition but may play different in the new edition than it does in the original edition?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This thread began great and has entered its silly stage as many threads on the geek do...wake me when there is more info on the game. robot
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gláucio Reis
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Wake up, Todd!

I decided to look further into the cards and the unique genes. Some cards related to dino's abilities became genes, but not all unique genes are based on cards.

Unless I missed something, Flippers, Wings, Regeneration, Sixth sense, Cave dweller and Chamaleon skin are new. From these, none seems to be too powerful. Notice that Flippers and Wings can be used by only one dino per turn.

I'm more concerned about the converted cards, which had a single use and now are permanent. Some may be extremely powerful if they come up early in the game.

Bony plates (formerly Big brother) gives a strong defensive bonus for the whole game, and Large horn (Bulking up) does the same for attacking. Quite good, but not unbalanced, as a regular single horn that serves both for offense and defense is probably not worse.

Thick shell (Egg laying muscles) is just too good. It was already one of the best cards in the game, as it could save quite a few dinos in a dire moment. Now you can use its benefit for the whole game? No way!

Killer babies (Tough babies) also is quite effective to save your new-born dinos, with the extra benefit of eliminating other players', and now the defender's horns don't have any effect on it. It may be very annoying to be next to a player with this gene.

Adranaline rush (Me first) is clearly overpowered. You get one gene and are guaranteed to play first for the rest of the game (you may choose the order, but there is usually no reason for not wanting to go first).

Strong thighs is just a double leg gene, but I see a relation to the card Motivation, which gave the player one movement point per dino for one turn. It's no game-breaker, but obviously inherently better than the regular single leg gene.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Bachman
United States
Colonie
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JeffyJeff wrote:
please read my entire post as I also clearly said "imho". maybe it's a language and/or geographic thing but "vocal minority" from my experience generally has an implication that the minority in question is small or otherwise dismissive of that minority as simply being a handful of loud mouths. You are the one who brought "vocal minority" into the discussion so don't blame me for questioning your imho false assertion

Don't blame it on language and/or geography. I am an English-speaker and I too live in the Northeast. Your personal interpretation of "vocal minority" is far different from mine, as is your apparent definition of "majority". GSReis' interpretation and use of "vocal minority" is much closer to mine, which is also why I did not take exception to it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Felix Rodriguez
United States
Somerville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Wow.. The new theme is awful. Did they do this to satisfy the intelligent design people? Have we really gotten to this level of stupid? Cause the game is called Evo, so you know, they aren't going to.

The new rule improvements, with the exception of 2 player sound pretty bad too. I do like the fact that you can see what to bid for when you bid for "cards" (Unique genes) but that's an easy modification of the old game - bid for face up cards.

I'm so happy I have the old version now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.