Subject: Fairy Tales vs 7 Wonders rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Flame Bird
msg tools
Hi,

I really like 7 Wonders but there are a few things that bother me:

-it takes up a lot of room
-it lacks a viable 2er game (in my opinion)
-I think it's an awful game with 5+ players.
-there is no 2v2 or 3v3 team play option
-it can be a bit tough on non- or casual gamers

This might sound a bit down for a game I really enjoy at 3er and 4er, but I am hoping Fairy Tale could do some of the above a bit better before I decide if I want to go ahead and get 7 Wonders: Leaders

Please advise.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Rice
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well...

FT takes up very little room.
I think FT plays best with 4-5 and okay with 3. Wouldn't play with 2.
FT works well with 5 players.
I'm not aware of a team option, but I've never looked to play FT in that way.
FT is pretty easy to pick up and play. There are some special cards to learn, but nothing difficult.

FT is also very cheap as this card game doesn't get all gussied up like 7 Wonders...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giles Pritchard
Australia
Shepparton
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I play quite a bit of FT with two - my advice would be to play the game with the variant here about drawing 7 cards each per turn (rather than 5). http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/306619/2-players-play-mo...

There is a team variant for 4 players.

I haven't played 7 Wonders - so I can't compare. But I love FT - my most played game, and a 'go-to' filler for my group.

Cheers,

Giles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Brown
United States
North Adams
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fairy tale takes up no room, plays fantastically with 2, and teaches in minutes. It's my go-to game (along with Coloretto) to bring to parties to teach to non-gamers and play as a filler. Fantastic game that you should try.

Can't say that it works great with 5+, and haven't tried the team variant, but it's still well worth getting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew
Japan
Tokyo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played 2p for a couple of hours solid, and it works fine.

Be warned that its minor arithmetic can repulse non-gamers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Weckermann
Canada
Powell River
British Coumbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

Our group thinks 7 wonders starts to shine at 5 player and is best with 6 and 7.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TS S. Fulk
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only played FT with 2-3 players and it works well. You can modify the number of rounds to make the game longer (or shorter, but you probably wouldn't want to do that). Don't know about a team option. Non-gamers have a bit of a problem with FT too. "What do you mean I take one and pass the rest. Which one should I take?" etc.

I want to get 7W too, since I think they are significantly different.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Weed
United States
Memphis
Tennessee
flag msg tools
how sweet the sound...
badge
Fear The Hat !!!
mbmbmbmbmb
7 wonders
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judit Szepessy
Canada
London
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played both and like both. FT works better with different number of players, I played it with two and it works well with two.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Webb
United States
Western Mitten
flag msg tools
designer
badge
GET A SILK BAG FROM THE GRAVEYARD DUCK TO LIVE LONGER.
mbmbmbmbmb
I quite like FT, and you can play it 2 on 2 if you so desire, but I would never recommend it for 2 only unless you are OK with the game turning a lot on luck of the draw. Each player added to the game adds another 1/5 of the cards, but completely at random. That means that it becomes a complete crapshoot as to whether or not certain cards are even in the game, let alone whether you will get a chance to draft them. I would find this irksome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Flamebird wrote:
I really like 7 Wonders but there are a few things that bother me:

I would be interested to hear what you don't like it about 5+, since I agree with the earlier poster that I really would only want to play 7 Wonders with 5-7. Apparently Fairy Tale only goes up to 5 well, so FT won't help you with 6 or 7.

One very big difference between 7W and FT is that FT has attack cards. One of the things I like about 7W is that it is relatively "friendly" (which some people would of course call MPS). FT sounds much more aggressive, which you might like or might not like.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Brown
United States
North Adams
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
peakhope wrote:
Flamebird wrote:

I would be interested to hear what you don't like it about 5+, since I agree with the earlier poster that I really would only want to play 7 Wonders with 5-7.

Dunno about the original poster, but for me, a big part of the fun of drafting is that a few of the cards you pass in your opening hands will come back to you. This adds a lot of strategy in trying to figure out what options you might have after a certain pile of cards travels the wheel. When you have as many players as drafted cards per round, it removes that entire part of the game. This is true in Fairy Tale as well.

Conversely, if he just dislikes the fact that in a 6-player game of 7 wonders, half of the table doesn't exist to you because you can't interact with each other, in Fairy Tale, the cards that affect other players affect all of them.

peakhope wrote:

One very big difference between 7W and FT is that FT has attack cards. One of the things I like about 7W is that it is relatively "friendly" (which some people would of course call MPS). FT sounds much more aggressive, which you might like or might not like.

Eh, I think given the Military, 7 wonders is not much friendlier than Fairy Tale.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Brown
United States
Summit
NJ
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played and loved Fairy Tale first. When I played 7 Wonders for the first time I was very underwhelmed. Added a bit of complexity and length without creating a more enjoyable experience for me. I loved the sheer simplicity of Fairy Tale. Furthermore, the storybook cards gave me something to work towards/compete over with my opponents (though 7 Wonders also has something like this with military). In the end I think I still just enjoy Fairy Tale a bit more. Might be because I played it first, but...

I've always enjoyed it with two. Never went looking for variants, but I am glad the above posters have mentioned them. Looking forward to trying 1-2 of them out. It is nice to get as many cards as possible into the game. (7 Wonders wins here because you customize the deck for # of players. However, is the effort worth it in the end for such a quick game?)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garcian Smith
United States
Northridge
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I find FT does 90% of what 7W is trying to accomplish, but it's more pure to the game than fluffy. FT is in a little box that is just cards. It does away with cardboard guides, a huge box, ages, etc. I think it's a great choice at first to see if you like drafting games. The new edition of FT looks nice too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas Persson
Sweden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I totally love FT. I totally love 7W. Can't give you any advice, but I would like to add that I love the 2 player variant for 7W (and my wife does too).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Weed
United States
Memphis
Tennessee
flag msg tools
how sweet the sound...
badge
Fear The Hat !!!
mbmbmbmbmb
7 wonders
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.A.H. van de Laak
Hong Kong
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't play 7 Wonders yet, so I can't judge, but I own Fairy Tale, the WYG (What's Your Game) version, which looks so much better than the Z-Man version. The icons, box and artwork (border, card back) is more professional and make the cards easier to read/understand. The main art is the same though.

So... get the WYG version. Great game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I really like Fairy Tale, and feel it's a better game than 7 Wonders because of increased player interaction, lower complexity, and roughly the same amount of tough decisions to make... but I'm not sure if you would find it a big improvement.

-it takes up a lot of room
Fairy Tale is a big improvement in both box size and table space required.

-it lacks a viable 2er game (in my opinion)
Fairy Tale is pretty good at 2, especially with the variant mentioned earlier where you draw more cards. But isn't the 7 Wonders variant for 2 players very similar? If you don't like one, I'm worried your wouldn't like the other.

Fairy Tale is fine with 5, but that's where it stops... so not much of an improvement. (Personally I think the game is better with 3-4 anyway.)

-there is no 2v2 or 3v3 team play option
2v2 team play is available in Fairy Tale, and the variant by Richard Garfield is interesting... but more a novelty than a selling point in my opinion.

-it can be a bit tough on non- or casual gamers
Fairy Tale is easier because the scoring is more direct and there are fewer unique cards, but most non-gamers will probably find the learning curve to be roughly the same. (Theme in 7 Wonders seems to make it more approachable for many people; Fairy Tale is definitely more abstract.)

weed131 wrote:
7 wonders

You've said this before. It was wrong then too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas Persson
Sweden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just made a not-so-scientific but quite interesting profile research:

- Users promoting Fairy Tale above tend to have Fairy Tale in their collection
- Users promoting 7 Wonders above tend to have 7 Wonders in their collection (myself included)

Just wanted to add that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Webb
United States
Western Mitten
flag msg tools
designer
badge
GET A SILK BAG FROM THE GRAVEYARD DUCK TO LIVE LONGER.
mbmbmbmbmb
No kidding, I own games I like, I don't own games that I don't. That shouldn't be surprising at all.

You can also add to that the bias that people have for justifying their existing investments.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Brown
United States
Summit
NJ
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
zwinx wrote:
Just made a not-so-scientific but quite interesting profile research:

- Users promoting Fairy Tale above tend to have Fairy Tale in their collection
- Users promoting 7 Wonders above tend to have 7 Wonders in their collection (myself included)

Just wanted to add that.

What did people who own both gravitate towards?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GodfatherPTS wrote:

What did people who own both gravitate towards?

Just a guess:

Given the relative costs and current trade demand, if someone is holding onto 7 Wonders then it's likely that they prefer that game. (If they did prefer Fairy Tale then it seems like trading away a copy of 7 Wonders for another big-box game would be pretty easy.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark G.
United States
Holland
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CortexBomb wrote:
No kidding, I own games I like, I don't own games that I don't. That shouldn't be surprising at all.

I own several games which I think are only OK, but I have them because my son likes them. I own them exclusively to play them with him.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.