Michael Off The Shelf Board Game Reviews
United States
Anchorage
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Happy weekend all!

Up for some lively debate, and thought I would pose this question this weekend.

What game for whatever reason has you intrigued and you would buy it right now if only ________ were changed ?

There are a couple games that I could really put in this blank for various reasons but I'll start the ball rolling with 2 that really come to mind right now.

First up is Dominant Species. This game just seems absolutely fantastic to me. The theme alone paired with an evolution strategy game grabs me by the shoulders, slaps me in the face, and screams "THIS GAME WAS WRITTEN FOR YOU AND YOU ALONE!". Sadly the _____ is filled in with "game length/duration". Until my 2 sons are older (5ish more years) I just don't see getting a game this long and in depth to the table. My current play group enjoys games but are of mixed tastes and wouldn't sit for this game I don't think (although I bought Through The Ages on a lark just in case...).

My other fill in the blank would most likely be Twilight Struggle. If only it wasn't a 2 player only game. Not that I am complaining, but I never have just 2 people at my game nights (no I am not complaining!). If they ever make a good 4 player version I might be tempted.. might!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Jefferson
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've got one, pretty much the opposite of your Twilight Struggle problem. I'd run to my FLGS and by 7 Wonders right this instant if only I thought that it was great for two players. I play with more maybe once or twice a month, but mostly I just game with my wife.

I really really like the game. I've had a handful of plays with my brother's copy--but he lives in a different state. I really want to play it again, but if I were to buy it, it would just sit on the shelf, making me kinda sad that I'm not playing it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jflartner
United States
Conshohocken
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jefforama wrote:
I've got one, pretty much the opposite of your Twilight Struggle problem. I'd run to my FLGS and by 7 Wonders right this instant if only I thought that it was great for two players. I play with more maybe once or twice a month, but mostly I just game with my wife.

I really really like the game. I've had a handful of plays with my brother's copy--but he lives in a different state. I really want to play it again, but if I were to buy it, it would just sit on the shelf, making me kinda sad that I'm not playing it.

Have you tried the two player version?

My girlfriend and I think it is great, and I think we both prefer it with two than with more.

It'd be hard to get a $40 game for just two, but it has the ability to play with more!! If you haven't tried the two player game, you should! We love it!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Brown
United States
North Adams
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd buy Planet Steam right now if only the price were $10 instead of $100. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Barnes
United States
Layton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Osirus wrote:
I'd buy Planet Steam right now if only the price were $10 instead of $100. whistle

Same or even if were $50.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Wardell
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
May 25
badge
I think you ought to know I'm feeling very depressed.
mbmbmbmbmb
Grumsh wrote:
My other fill in the blank would most likely be Twilight Struggle. If only it wasn't a 2 player only game. Not that I am complaining, but I never have just 2 people at my game nights (no I am not complaining!). If they ever make a good 4 player version I might be tempted.. might!

I agree. I definitely would've bought this by now if it were for more than 2 players. I almost never play 2 player games.

Also, Antiquity and Roads & Boats, if only them being out of print were changed. I've been watching ebay and Geeklist auctions in hopes of finding a decent price. I just can't bring myself to pay the prices they're going for in the marketplace.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chuck dunn
United States
Memphis
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
till ya can play the ;long version take the deck of cards and mix the ice age in to the final 10 or 15 cards thereby possibly shortening the game by hours and dont do the final scoring of each tile just take the win at points up to that point ,, making the strat a more head to head approach instead of the long slow build that it tends to be ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steffan O'Sullivan
United States
Plymouth
NH
flag msg tools
"To be honorable and just is our only defense against men without honor or justice." -Diogenes of Sinope
badge
[When asked if he would give a speech, Jinx said,] "Me, I'm a doer, not a talker." And when they asked him what it was he did, he said, "Sleep, mostly." -Walter R. Brooks
mbmbmbmbmb
There are dozens of games that I would buy right now if:

* the price were lower, or
* the availability higher, or
* they were published by now, or
* I could try them first to be sure I'd like them.

But I think you're looking for other criteria. So:

I would buy Troyes right now if it were a little less confrontational. I played it once and enjoyed it, BUT ... it seems a little vicious for my group.

I would buy Street Soccer if I could just figure out how to make it work where someone who rolled lower numbers still had a chance of winning.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd enjoy playing Twilight Struggle if it weren't for the scoring cards...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
Wankel engine
mbmbmbmbmb
I wouldn't play Glory to Rome if the art were changed -- but I know there's many who would.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Stanton
England
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd get Barbarossa if only the language was changed to English
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd buy Euros right now if only the "euro" were taken out of them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flame Bird
msg tools
Nexus Ops if I could find it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lori
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd probably buy my whole wishlist if I could change their out-of-print-ness.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Thompson
United States
Marion
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would play this "what would i buy right now if only "X" was changed" game more if it was a geeklist

El Grande if the art was more modern/better
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Stellmach
United States
Arlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ed95005 wrote:
I wouldn't play Glory to Rome if the art were changed -- but I know there's many who would.

You don't know me, but count me among them anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Anchorage
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
aldaryn wrote:
I would play this "what would i buy right now if only "X" was changed" game more if it was a geeklist

El Grande if the art was more modern/better

Well played!

I'll go geeklist this now with the magic powers of cut and paste!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Leet
United States
Burlington
Vermont
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd buy Hard Vacuum if it came with minis and bases that 'carried' the thrust vectors with them (and I already have a copy of the game as is.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Anchorage
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Geeklist added here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Jefferson
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jobin13 wrote:
Jefforama wrote:

Have you tried the two player version?

My girlfriend and I think it is great, and I think we both prefer it with two than with more.

It'd be hard to get a $40 game for just two, but it has the ability to play with more!! If you haven't tried the two player game, you should! We love it!!

Admittedly I have not tried the two-player variant. I guess now I've heard enough good stuff about it to go out of my way to try it on somebody else's copy, but not enough good stuff (and some bad) to buy it without trying it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C. Park Shumate
United States
Grove City
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
ed95005 wrote:

I'm one of those people. I'm a sucker for anything Antiquity, but the art I've seen on the pics of Glory to Rome is so bad that I'm completely turned off. It's not that I need it to be realistic or lifelike; I'm excited for Chicken Caesar and that's about as goofy as you can get. Quality pieces, game boards, components, etc. are part of the appeal of board games. It's a shame that Glory to Rome sounds fun but looks so amateur. It looks like a new design is in the works and from what I've seen it looks a lot better! But, it also looks like they are keeping the same artist
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doom Finger
msg tools
badge
I would buy Tamsk if the timers were all the same.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph T
United States
Signal Hill
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would buy The Princes of Florence if it used the new color art from the European version.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clare Cannon
Wales
Trefforest
Mid Glamorgan
flag msg tools
mb
The game I would buy right now is the gears of war board game if only it was released now

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas Weinstein
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The live art in the Flying Frog games is a major turn off. I would buy each of them if the art was different. For example:
Last Night on Earth: The Zombie Game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.