United States
Sammamish
Washington
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Todd, I was just curious what motivated the hole punch design? It's neat, but it seems to put a lot more work on the print and play constructor. Could you not achieve much the same thing with something more like this, where you just offset the cards slightly when laying them down?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
todd sanders
United States
pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
well the game was meant to to be played standing in line, not laid down. so the hole punching made it easier to read down through to the next card. this way random numbers could be generated without rolling dice.

this game goes back to a thread about designing games that took only a few minutes and could be played while waiting in line. i've since modified the concept to allow for 3-4 discrete bits of info to be randomly generated, as well as leveling up a character in a dungeon crawl scenario
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse McGatha
United States
Sammamish
Washington
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool, was just curious.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig.
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I got my ArtsCow deck awhile back and finally got around to punching it (I definitely procrastinated this task!). It took a full 30 minutes. Now I just need to make a player board and I'll be ready to play... finally!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scrumpy Jack
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dumarest123 wrote:
well the game was meant to to be played standing in line, not laid down. so the hole punching made it easier to read down through to the next card. this way random numbers could be generated without rolling dice.

this game goes back to a thread about designing games that took only a few minutes and could be played while waiting in line. i've since modified the concept to allow for 3-4 discrete bits of info to be randomly generated, as well as leveling up a character in a dungeon crawl scenario

which thread was this Todd? the one about games standing in line?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
todd sanders
United States
pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
yes this thread - No Table - Standing In Line - Handheld Games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scrumpy Jack
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dumarest123 wrote:

thank you Todd

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aleksander Zawadski
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
The punched holes give the game that "ooh that's a bit different" feel. And it's a very satisfying feeling when you punch all the holes and all the cards and holes line up perfectly! Makes you wish the game was multiplayer so you could show off your crafting skills!

Todd, the white bleed on these cards is excellent. My printer alignment is never perfect so I always get an offset when I print double sided. But you barely notice this with your card design for NWC!

It's a real offput to print a card game if you can't just print the file double sided, cut the cards, and start playing. Aligning front and back pages, then adhering them takes forever and uses more time, effort and resources than is necessary.

My only criticism is the game board is larger than the cards. Perhaps the area on the playmat designated for laying the cards on is unnecessary and complicates storage?

Big thanks Todd, thoroughly enjoyed your game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
todd sanders
United States
pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the kind words on the game. The board if it were cut down i think would be hard to keep balanced in your hand.

it could always be folded in half within the area where the cards are held though to make it more compact. the card deck would keep it from refolding when held in hand.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.