Robert Carroll
United States
Joplin
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Player Ratings for over 180 all-time players is now available in the File Section.

Player Ratings

To use the Player Ratings, simply pick a Player or Players and play a round or rounds of GOLO. There are 3 ratings to use:

Bottoms: This is the number of times a Player can use the Bottoms ability, which is the same as stated in the GOLO rules—namely, flipping the die rolled over to the bottom facing.

Mulligans: This is the number of times a Player can use the Mulligans ability, which is the same as stated in the GOLO rules—namely, re-rolling a die.

Adjustment: This is the amount the Player’s final score at the end of a Round is adjusted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Carroll
United States
Joplin
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nap16 wrote:
The Player Ratings for over 180 all-time players is now available in the File Section.

Player Ratings

To use the Player Ratings, simply pick a Player or Players and play a round or rounds of GOLO. There are 3 ratings to use:

Bottoms: This is the number of times a Player can use the Bottoms ability, which is the same as stated in the GOLO rules—namely, flipping the die rolled over to the bottom facing.

Mulligans: This is the number of times a Player can use the Mulligans ability, which is the same as stated in the GOLO rules—namely, re-rolling a die.

Adjustment: This is the amount the Player’s final score at the end of a Round is adjusted.

All Time Player Ratings
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana (IN)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Could you reveal anything about how you did the ratings? I love Golo but I would like to use LPGA golfers. Thanks for this variation. It looks like fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana (IN)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nap16 wrote:

Player Ratings

But doesn't bottoms have to be called before the roll and applies to all of the dice? I'm not sure how this helps a golfer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Carroll
United States
Joplin
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It is a special ability, so you get to call it "after" your roll the die. The value or number listed is the number of times you can change a die to its bottom face in a round.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana (IN)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OK. So it doesn't work exactly like the regular Golo rules. I get it. So the number there is the number of times a golfer can do it in a round? Can it be done to more than one die per roll? When you use these rules do you use a real course and play where you have to save the dice in the order they are on the scorecard.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Carroll
United States
Joplin
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rickert wrote:
OK. So it doesn't work exactly like the regular Golo rules. I get it. So the number there is the number of times a golfer can do it in a round? Can it be done to more than one die per roll? When you use these rules do you use a real course and play where you have to save the dice in the order they are on the scorecard.

Yes, it is the number of times you can change to the Bottoms result in a round. I do not know why you would want to do it to the same die as that would yeild your previous result; however, if you use a Mulligan ability and re-roll that die, then you can use the Bottoms again (granted you have enough Mulligans and Bottoms left to use). How you use the Mulligans and Bottoms (including the order in which you use them) is up to you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Carroll
United States
Joplin
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rickert wrote:
OK. So it doesn't work exactly like the regular Golo rules. I get it.

The Bottoms result is the same--you flip the die over to the other side (Bottom side); however, when you get to do it is now a special ability.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Carroll
United States
Joplin
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rickert wrote:
So the number there is the number of times a golfer can do it in a round?

Nap16 wrote:
The value or number listed is the number of times you can change a die to its bottom face in a round.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana (IN)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nap16 wrote:
rickert wrote:

Yes, it is the number of times you can change to the Bottoms result in a round. I do not know why you would want to do it to the same die as that would yeild your previous result; however, if you use a Mulligan ability and re-roll that die, then you can use the Bottoms again (granted you have enough Mulligans and Bottoms left to use). How you use the Mulligans and Bottoms (including the order in which you use them) is up to you.

No I was asking for this instance: You roll 9 dice. You decide to flip 2 to bottoms and then re-roll 2 of them with mulligans. Can you do all that off a single roll? Plus, do you use the real scorecards and need to keep the dice in the order they appear on the scorecard?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
7 of 8
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
rickert wrote:
Nap16 wrote:
rickert wrote:

No I was asking for this instance: You roll 9 dice. You decide to flip 2 to bottoms and then re-roll 2 of them with mulligans. Can you do all that off a single roll? Plus, do you use the real scorecards and need to keep the dice in the order they appear on the scorecard?

I just picked this game up yesterday and came straight to the geek, found the variants in the files section and can't stop playing it. Golf simplified and still strategic.

Here is how I treat the rules based on this variant. I disregard the current rule book and go with these steps:

Step 1) Roll all 9 dice
Step 2) Remove your lowest score(s)die/dice. (A circle is a birdie, a star is an eagle) You must remove at least one die.
Step 3) With the remaining dice you may call Bottom or a Mulligan. You can only call as many Bottoms or Mulligans in a round that is listed in your player rating.
Step 4) Place the remaining dice that a Mulligan was called in the cup and roll again. Turn the remaining dice that Bottoms was called bottom side up and remove.
Step 5) Remove all remaining dice. (Continue to roll until all Mulligans are used up or all dice have been removed)
Step 6) Add up the score of all nine to get your nine-hole score. (To play 18 repeat the process and add both nine-hole score together)

Ground rules:
Bottoms and Mulligans are listed in the player rating. He/she only use the number of Bottoms per round listed in their ratings
OB still remain per standard rules. Mulligans or "Bottoms" can never be used on OB rolls.
Unplayable Lie remain per standard rules
DQ remain per standard rules
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
7 of 8
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
Nap16 wrote:

Player Ratings

This is how I interpret Player Ratings in this rule variant (which I think is awesome)to help add thematic flavor to the game.

Bottoms (also called Tee shots or Putting) is the ability to make an accurate drive or putt with great precision
Mulligans (also called Mid-range or Approach shot) is the ability to make a difficult shot after a bad lie or to avoid a hazard.
Adjustment (also called Competitiveness) is the overall competitiveness and/or natural talent for the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.