Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brett Nuske
Australia
Donvale
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you play the 'Focused Offense' plot card which reads 'You cannot declare more than 1 challenge. You cannot declare defenders. This plot's text cannot be blanked'.

Then your opponent plays 'Battle of Ruby Ford' event card which reads 'After the dominance phase this round, there is an epic phase during which each player may initiate a single challenge with a claim value of 2'.

Does this event card allow the player that played 'Focused Offense' to initiate a challenge in the epic phase if they already initiated a challenge during the challenge phase?

During the epic phase is the player that played 'Focused Offense' allowed to declare defenders?

We played it that the person that played 'Focused Offense' could do a challenge in the challenge phase then a challenge in the epic phase. Just that they couldn't declare defenders in either phases.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Fightmaster
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I think that at a tournament you'd be locked out of Ruby Ford.

While Ruby Ford gives everybody the option of initiating a challenge, the text of Focused Offence prevents you from physically declaring more than one in a round. As such, if you declare during the Challenges phase, then you can't take a second challenge in the 'Epic' phase.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Johnson
United States
San Ramon
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that this is probably a question for the FFG message boards where you'll get some rules experts to chime in.

I think you would be able to do a challenge in the epic phase. The rules text of Focused Offense allows you to only "declare" a single challenge. However the text of Battle of Ruby ford allows you to "initiate" a challenge, implying that it's a player action instead of a challenge. But I'm not 100% sure on that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Dallas
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
From KotM on the official boards

Quote:
Keep in mind here that "initiate a challenge" and "declare a challenge" are interchangeable terms, but that does not mean that the words "initiate" and "declare" are interchangeable in all situations.

So only one challenge that round.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent 57
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rwjohnson wrote:
I think that this is probably a question for the FFG message boards where you'll get some rules experts to chime in.

I think you would be able to do a challenge in the epic phase. The rules text of Focused Offense allows you to only "declare" a single challenge. However the text of Battle of Ruby ford allows you to "initiate" a challenge, implying that it's a player action instead of a challenge. But I'm not 100% sure on that.

The ability to initiate does not bypass the need to declare a target of a challenge, but with Focused Offense, you can't.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.