Popular Tags: [View All]
Gláucio Reis
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, I will not rant about the lack of plastic dinosaurs (although that would have been awesome), as I fully understand the decision to keep manufacturing costs down. But come on, would have it been too hard to give us different pieces for each player? It would have been really nice to have pieces that matched the pictures on the player mats. Stone Age, just to mention another game set in pre-historic times, has wooden pieces in five different shapes (and in greater number), and it isn't terribly expensive, is it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Jensen
United States
Layton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Stone Age is actually using stock shapes for all the resources. Only the tribes members (I believe) are custom shapes. So it's not really a fair comparison to wonder why the new Evo won't come with five custom dino-eeples. Survive comes with various shapes but not in the quantity that Evo requires. That said, I agree that five custom shapes is a much more appealing idea than every player getting sauropod shapes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Thompson
United States
Marion
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For me, it depends on the price. If that change lets them keep the price down to like $45 instead of $50 or something, then it's okay, but if it doesn't change the price point, then it's a little frustrating. Then again, they have to make money to keep making games, so..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gláucio Reis
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
quixotequest wrote:
Stone Age is actually using stock shapes for all the resources. Only the tribes members (I believe) are custom shapes.

I'm not sure about that. As far as I recall, it was the first game to have wooden resources that were not just cubes. Other games and third parties may have copied it, but except for the lumber pieces, I don't think those were "stock shapes" at the time it was released, particularly the gold bar.

Anyway, there certainly are other games with wooden pieces in several custom shapes. Actually, I think Survive! would make for a pretty fair comparison. There are 5 sea serpents, 5 whales, 6 sharks, 4 dolphins and 12 boats, for a total of 32 pieces, which is not so far from the 40 pieces in the new Evo - and that is excluding the 40 player meeples from Survive!, which look exclusive to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam B.
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Do a google or Amazon search for Microsaurs; they're little 1-inch tall dinosaur figures that might work well. You can get lots of 20 for $5. They're also "cute" and "cartoony" so they don't fit the new theme very well, but it is an option.

Hmm, I wonder if 1" figures (I think that's 1" tall, not wide) are too big for the board? Have to see the new board in person to find out...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Haver
United States
Upper Arlington
Ohio
flag msg tools
www.theCOGS.org
badge
www.theCOGS.org
mbmbmbmbmb
Microsaurs (lot of 250)
http://www.candymachines.com/Microsaurs-Vending-Capsules-P18...

Dyno mania
http://www.gumball.com/se-or-frog-1-inch-toy-capsules-1.aspx

While we're at it, why not replace the dinorsaurs with ninjas? laugh
http://www.gumball.com/ninja-fighters-1-inch-capsules.aspx
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Jensen
United States
Layton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GSReis wrote:
Actually, I think Survive! would make for a pretty fair comparison. There are 5 sea serpents, 5 whales, 6 sharks, 4 dolphins and 12 boats, for a total of 32 pieces, which is not so far from the 40 pieces in the new Evo - and that is excluding the 40 player meeples from Survive!, which look exclusive to me.

That's true: I was really only thinking of the monsters, but Survive has the meeples and boats too. Stronghold did set a nice precedent that would be great to see Asmodee follow in the Evo reprint.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.