Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ben
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm very interested in purchasing an English-language copy of Goa from the 2004 "Made in Germany" printing.

I'd been trying to take the patient road, monitoring the marketplace and Geeklist auctions over most of the last year. However, that hasn't proven terribly successful (the few that I've seen were asking a bit more than I was expecting). I'm getting a bit desperate, and am now hoping that a more direct approach will yield better results.

If you have a copy that you're willing to sell (or trade for something in my collection), please let me know what you're asking. I'm a bit of a component stickler, however, so I'm ideally looking for a box and components in very good or better condition. I'm happy to do a pick up in New England (or possibly NYC).

(I apologize in advance if this kind of post isn't kosher. I've seen it be effective for users in other forums, but I'm happy to take it down if it violates a rule. meeple )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Want to Buy a 2004 "Made in Germany" Copy
Is there something about the changes in the reprint coming soon that turns you against it, or just impatient?

No, I don't have one, just interested.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Woods
Canada
Halifax
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Try changing your Subject. I came here thinking you were selling your Goa.

Suggestions:

Want to Buy: Goa [English / 2004 Edition / "Made in Germany"]
or
Looking to Buy: Goa [English / 2004 Edition / "Made in Germany"]

I really got the impression you were selling yours but forgot the question mark in the subject. My mistake, but might confuse others.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Snooze Fest
United States
Hillsborough
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
We love our pups!! Misu, RIP 28 Nov 2010. Tikka, RIP 11 Aug 2011.
mbmbmbmbmb
Someone (was it you?) PM'd me about my copy asking about this as well. I don't suppose you have a picture of how to identify where it's from? There's supposedly a "made in Germany" mark somewhere, but I didn't see it on my copy in the place the emailer said it should be.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
UnknownParkerBrother wrote:
Is there something about the changes in the reprint coming soon that turns you against it, or just impatient?

No, I don't have one, just interested.

One or two of the changes are probably welcome, but several of the changes strike me as a bad idea. Perhaps it will be fine, but I'm skeptical.

Also, the reprint has been rumored for nearly as long as I've been on BGG. I'm not the world's most patient guy.

baconcow wrote:
Try changing your Subject. I came here thinking you were selling your Goa.

Done. Sorry for the confusion.

snoozefest wrote:
Someone (was it you?) PM'd me about my copy asking about this as well. I don't suppose you have a picture of how to identify where it's from? There's supposedly a "made in Germany" mark somewhere, but I didn't see it on my copy in the place the emailer said it should be.

It might have been me. I know that I've considered GMing users who had it marked for trade. Not sure if I ever did.

Here are the backs of the two English-language printings. The left one has a "Made in Germany" label on the far bottom right. The right one says "Made in China" in the bottom, just-right-of-center box. I hope that helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chef D
United States
US Armed Forces - Americas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have owned a copy of both the Made in Germany and the Made in China versions. I thought the same way you did after getting the Made in China that the Made in Germany was going to be superior. After getting the Made in Germany I really did not know what the fuss was all about. The color saturation was slightly different, but I felt the Made in China was actually better. There was a slight difference in the "linen finish". The Made in China has a slightly more aggressive linen finish. The other difference was the insert. The Made in Germany insert held the items slightly better. Other than that, there really was no difference. The Made in China was completely acceptable. That being said, I sold that version since the Made in Germany is more highly sought after. That being said, the one Made in Germany version on BGG is being sold for $98. A couple of years ago that price was around $70-80. I would fathom that it will be hard to buy or trade unless it is in that value range. There might be a slight decrease in the market once the new on comes to market, but if history of prices serves as a guide, that slight decrease will probably result in an increase as people want to seek out the "original". But if I were you, if you can get either copy, I would. There are very, very slight aesthetic differences that really don't warrant just seeking it out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Kudzma
United States
Millsboro
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
People are...
badge
SPOCKED!!
mbmbmbmbmb
This is somewhat tangential, but since you brought to light that there were two versions: I've found I own a Made In Germany copy.

I'd get into why it shouldn't matter, but that's for another thread

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Snooze Fest
United States
Hillsborough
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
We love our pups!! Misu, RIP 28 Nov 2010. Tikka, RIP 11 Aug 2011.
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's the back of my box:

I don't see any such caption ... please point it out for me if you do.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wesley Kinslow
United States
Piperton
Tennessee
flag msg tools
↳ Do one brain damage ↳ Do one brain damage ↳ End the run
badge
Real heroes wear pink.
mb
I purchased what was advertised as the 2004 German version on eBay and received the Chinese one.

I'm thinking the only thing I'm missing out on is the sweet insert - I'd just pick up whichever copy you can get and play. The game is awesome
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Webb
United States
Western Mitten
flag msg tools
designer
badge
GET A SILK BAG FROM THE GRAVEYARD DUCK TO LIVE LONGER.
mbmbmbmbmb
snoozefest wrote:
Here's the back of my box:

I don't see any such caption ... please point it out for me if you do.

Thanks!

I think the Made in Germany designation was a sticker, not something that was printed directly onto the box, so my guess would be that it's a German one that didn't have the sticker applied; unless there was a Chinese run that didn't include the "Made in China" line...but I thought there was only one Chinese printing...

edit: Just pulled out my copy, yes, the Made in Germany thing is just a sticker, so it either could have never been applied, or been pulled off at some point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks everyone for your comments and input. I think I found a copy! I'm thrilled to get the opportunity to play this great game.

I agree with the others that the China edition is perfectly acceptable. After my one play with it, however, the aggressive linen finish irritated me enough that I was willing to pay ~$10 more to not have to put up with it. I usually like linen finishes on games, but this one didn't work for me. That's pretty much it (I do like collecting older/rarer games, generally, as well).

Thanks again. meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giovanni Messina
Italy
Cascina
(PI)
flag msg tools
publisher
uplay.it edizioni
badge
www.uplay.it
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, I've got a Dutch copy if you are interested: 49,99 euro. Brand new and sealed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Whitmore
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm selling one in auction, ending on Sept. 25. It is the German-made edition.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/72555/games-you-never-...

Thanks,

Kevin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.