Seth Jaffee
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I will preface by saying that I have not played this game at all. I just watched some players learn and play the game at KublaCon last weekend.

One question came up which was "why would I not wait until the scoring round to make my shows? What's the benefit of making an early show?"

The only answer I could think of was that putting on a show reduces the need to pay for storage of Find tiles. So the question is, is that a big enough deal to even matter?

If you wait until the last minute to make a show, you get several benefits - you can make bigger, more valuable shows, and you can avoid having other players bump the value of your show down by playing a higher valued (or equally valued) show - in fact you may reduce their score in that way yourself with your larger shows!

It seemed to the players and to me that saving $1 per round in storage fees didn't seem to be worth doing. Has anybody else come to the same (or the opposite) conclusion?

Maybe that's OK, you just don't bother making a show until the scoring round, and in some cases maybe it's even worth going later in turn order on the scoring round to bump people down and not get bumped down yourself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olav Fakkeldij
Netherlands
Beverwijk
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Storage can become expensive: 1 coin per 3 tiles (first 3 are free).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, storage costs are a huge deal because they sap gold you should be using to dig deeper (or be able to go earlier to guarantee your artifacts). I found that storage costs were a very elegant, and very well tuned balancing factor.

In none of our games has anyone (except perhaps one lucky person who picked up a leftover windfall) had enough spare money to not consider it important, and this certainly didn't occur until quite late in the game.

B>
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Waltier
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You should try this strategy a time or two and let us know how it works vs. the other players' strategies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Jaffee
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TwentySides wrote:
You should try this strategy a time or two and let us know how it works vs. the other players' strategies.

Should I ever happen upon a copy of this game, I will certainly save up for bigger, higher value exhibits, and play them during a scoring round (probably exclusively during a scoring round).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ANd having actually played the game, money isn't as plentiful as you seem to indicate, given you want to get access to the deeper stuff.

B>
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jighm Brown
United States
Rossville
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
One more thing to consider, if everyone waited until a scoring round to display items, then you will still get bumped down about as much as not waiting because each person will now be displaying 2 or 3 pieces at a time, possibly knocking you down each time. It is better to just put some less valuable pieces in the museum early and get the victory point for each one you put in and if you see it drop out of the museum, you can put a better one in for a scoring round.

Jeghm
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Ardianto
Indonesia
DKI Jakarta - Jakarta Utara
flag msg tools
badge
https://www.facebook.com/gopopnow
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, i played the game twice and i could say that this game is great. It really shows better than what i was expecting of. So, about the timing of display, i have an opinion i want to share.
I believe, the timing is important, you must calculate and predict your display artifacts and other player's. In my point, if you wait to display your finds in the scoring rounds, there are benefits and disadvantages, which are:

Benefits Display in the scoring rounds
1. You can make a longer chain of display (which will get you nice points, 6 vp max).
2. You can actually make other players displays drop their fame.
3. You can use all your findings with efficient and effective. Since if you use less points displays there when they're broke up or out of the museum, you will lose the finds (which will waste your display tally chain).
4. You can polish your display each round to get bonus points from your display.

Disadvantage Display in scoring rounds
1. You need to pay more for storage fees, in several rounds.
2. You wasting your money for storage instead of polishing and buying artifacts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Ardianto
Indonesia
DKI Jakarta - Jakarta Utara
flag msg tools
badge
https://www.facebook.com/gopopnow
mbmbmbmbmb
This game is quite rather have strong push-your-luck element in the research funds element. Which quite a nice addition to the strategy games and flavor.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.