Subject: Messes with your eyes rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
charles carper
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So I went to my local game store yesterday and they had a Redakai release party. There I was given a free promo card and a sample deck so me and my girl could play some games.

The game itself is good, and supprisingly there is a lot of strategy that one could use if you get involved with the game. The only issue I had with the game is how it looks. Dont get me wrong, I love how a single card looks. I love the 3d aspect. I love the mechanics of how you can stack on cards. The concept of the game is great and if I was younger I might not have an issue with it at all.

What I nociced is I started to get a headache from the cards after playing a while. My girl said the same thing. Being able to read the cards becomes a little tricky after you begin to stack attacks on them. I dont know. The 3d stuff is reallly cool untill you are forced to look at it for 30 min pluss. I am older, 32 to be exact, so this might not be an issue with younger people. After the first game my eyes were so blurry it was unreal. I took a rest, got something to eat, and about 20 min later decided to play another game with the same results.

The game itself was good. I wouldnt say it was the best but it does beat a lot of new card games out there. The strategy one could use is supprisingly deep for the cards and I would suspect that if time was spent with the cards you could have compentions with combo's and atacks ranking with some of the better card games, however having said that, sadly I am going to have to pass on this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For a comparison point, have you played Gloom?

B>

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
john W.
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Charles I know what your saying, a friend of mine cannot look at my 3DS for more than a couple of minutes. I can look at 3d all day, but the electronic glasses you where for the 3d tv's hurt my eyes after about 15 min of use. I think looking at 3d, affects people differently.

A small sugestion for the 3d cards, when you look at the 3d card at first, try to adjust the cards angle your looking at it until it seems clear and in focus. This may not be looking at it head on, you may need to look at the card very slightly angled. Where I may need to look at it in a different angle. This may help look at the cards and lessen your headachs.

Hope that may help

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marshall LaFleur
United States
Burlington
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
opened the first pack of Redakai in our store today. I really like how the game looks. I can see how it could get to some people though. I also think I really like the game mechanics, though I have yet to actually play a game. Our regular stock of cards won't be in until later next week, this was just one of a few pre release cards I was given. I just didn't have the money to order in time for a release party. I did apply for the Redakai league though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron Chien
United States
Rancho Cucamonga
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thepackrat wrote:
For a comparison point, have you played Gloom?

B>

I haven't played a game of Redakai yet, but I have played Gloom and I have handled the Redakai cards.

Gloom's cards are more like transparencies, like they used to use when I was in school before PowerPoint presentations took over.

Redakai uses an advanced version of the old school stickers (and I can't find what they're called!) which were pretty thick, and had a stippled surface. If you angled the sticker the image would appear to "move", like Mickey Mouse would wave his hands as you tilted the image back and forth.

Edit: Gloom's cards start to get cloudy as you stack enough of them, whereas the Redakai cards appear to be totally clear plastic where it's intended.

Cameron

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim McMahon
United States
West Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Lookee what he can do! He wants a job!
mbmbmbmbmb
Zeede wrote:
Redakai uses an advanced version of the old school stickers (and I can't find what they're called!) which were pretty thick, and had a stippled surface. If you angled the sticker the image would appear to "move", like Mickey Mouse would wave his hands as you tilted the image back and forth.
Lenticular?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron Chien
United States
Rancho Cucamonga
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, that's it! Thank you, sir!

Cameron

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.