Dominant Species» Forums » Rules

Subject: Rules question : Evolution Card & Ice Age Card rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lawrence Low
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Evolution : I am not sure what happens to the 2 species replaced - do they end up in the "body bag", or do they "reincarnate" after returning to the gene pool? Can the 2 species selected be from the same animal, or must they be of different animals? This was disputed by one of my players.

Ice Age :
a) If nobody selects the Ice Age card despite it showing up, does the game go on for another turn, until somebody does pick it up?

b) If somebody selects the Ice Age card, and there are other cards after it selected, or other Domination actions after it, do we do the Dominance Bonus Scoring immediately the Ice Age card is selected, or only at the end of the turn? There may be a difference, because some of the remaining actions may change Dominance status.

I have my interpretation, but want to be really sure.

Thanks, folks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Berger
United States
Round Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
buylower wrote:
Evolution : I am not sure what happens to the 2 species replaced - do they end up in the "body bag", or do they "reincarnate" after returning to the gene pool?

Body bag. I had the same question, but we reread the rules, and I believe there's a line that says any species removed from the board other than through Glaciation is removed from the game.

Quote:
Ice Age :
a) If nobody selects the Ice Age card despite it showing up, does the game go on for another turn, until somebody does pick it up?

Yep.

Quote:
b) If somebody selects the Ice Age card, and there are other cards after it selected, or other Domination actions after it, do we do the Dominance Bonus Scoring immediately the Ice Age card is selected, or only at the end of the turn? There may be a difference, because some of the remaining actions may change Dominance status.

It's funny, I don't recall. But I'm sure the card is clear (I can't think of any wording that could be on the card that would be unclear).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawrence Low
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow Chris that was super duper fast! I do hope Chad will confirm?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ægir Æxx
Iceland
Reykjavik
Gullbringusysla
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
buylower wrote:

I think you score Ice Age immediately after selecting it. Then continue the rest of Domination actions. After finishing the turn remove Dominance Markers and score every tile for the final score.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Eisen
United States
Menlo Park
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
All Domination cards are evaluated immediately upon selection. Ice Age is no exception to that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Binning
United States
Rollinsville
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
buylower wrote:
Evolution : I am not sure what happens to the 2 species replaced - do they end up in the "body bag", or do they "reincarnate" after returning to the gene pool? Can the 2 species selected be from the same animal, or must they be of different animals? This was disputed by one of my players.

Page 6, second paragraph states in part:

"Species removed from earth for any reason other than Glaciation are placed back in the box, out of play-NOT back into the gene pools."

The only restriction regarding the Evolution card is having the necessary replacement species in your pool. (See notes on page 18)

Correction: The card specifies two opposing animals. That means you need to remove two different colored cubes. Each color represents a class of animal. The individual cubes are different species within the same animal class.

buylower wrote:
Ice Age :

Dominance cards are executed immediately when selected in the Domination phase. See paragraph 5 on page 16. If the Ice Age is executed, the turn completes as usual, but it will be the final turn. (See Endgame paragraph on page 20)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawrence Low
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Jeff, that is a very clear & unequivocal answer you gave there. Also thanks to all who answered, looks like there is consensus here regarding the correct interpretation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chadwik
United States
Santa Rosa
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure.
mbmbmbmbmb
buylower wrote:

Ice Age :

I have my interpretation, but want to be really sure.

Thanks, folks!

Evolution = ALL species removed from the board FOR ANY REASON other than Glaciation are dead. [page 6, second para]

Ice Age (a) = the game ends at the end of the turn that somebody chooses it. If nobody chooses it, the game doesn't end. [page 19, Ice Age entry]

Ice Age (b) = like every card, perform its action when it is chosen. [page 16, step 5]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawrence Low
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, Chad. Twas in the rulebook, after all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Franco
United States
Maplewood
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
If you could touch the alien sand and hear the cries of strange birds and watch them wheel in another sky, would that satisfy you?
mbmbmbmbmb
buylower wrote:

Of course it was, if Chad wrote it. I use Chad's rulebooks as technical writing examples all the time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Andreassen
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
Just remember, if you pick a dominance action, there are only two ways not to select a card. 1) Elect to pass on the action - as you can with any AP. 2) Select a tile where no animal has dominance. If all players decide, the game can continue for many turns with the Ice Age card showing, but it only takes one player to chose to end things.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Smith
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
HNormansSon wrote:
Just remember, if you pick a dominance action, there are only two ways not to select a card. 1) Elect to pass on the action - as you can with any AP. 2) Select a tile where no animal has dominance. If all players decide, the game can continue for many turns with the Ice Age card showing, but it only takes one player to chose to end things.

I've often wondered if players have ever gone on and on as no one wants to select Ice age.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Steck
United States
Benton
Arkansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In the last game I played, the game went an extra turn when the player with the last domination action chose a tile with no dominance to extend the game, surprising almost everyone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawrence Low
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
logopolys wrote:
buylower wrote:

Of course it was, if Chad wrote it. I use Chad's rulebooks as technical writing examples all the time.

Yup, it's much clearer, and so very unequivocal, than say, the Bible, or the 10 Commandments, or every one of our laws, etc...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawrence Low
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cubbieblue wrote:
In the last game I played, the game went an extra turn when the player with the last domination action chose a tile with no dominance to extend the game, surprising almost everyone.

If you're behind, and want to change something, like area majority, or Dominance, it makes sense to delay the end.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Providence
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
HNormansSon wrote:

What about at endgame when no cards are remaining? I think that makes 3...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.