Seth
Netherlands
Eindhoven
Noord Brabant
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

As soon as possible we will be playing 1 or 2 games of this fine title and I'm re-reading the rules to get acquainted with them once more. I've started with the Condensed Rules from Iluminas (I believe they are his) and they do a fine job together with Scott's video.
However... I have a hard time understanding the Exchange Pool Ruling. From all available versions there seem to be all sorts of variations around on the interpretation of this rule and to me it's unclear what rule I should follow... and perhaps even more important: what rule works best when discarding cards (e.g. left over from the Current State Election)

So. I would like to ask the community to help sort this out for me and perhaps other newbies as well..

First I'll write down what - I believe to be - the correct ruling for each version of Die Macher.

1) Rat's Nest Ruling (2nd German edition post FAQ by designer)
a) Discarded cards from Party Platform Conference go to the Discard Pile
b) Discarded cards from the Buy Media Markers step are switched with cards from the Exchange Pool
c) Discarded left over Cards from the Score Current State go to the Exchange Pool. There is no limit to the Exchange Pool.

2) WBC Championship Die Macher Rules
b) Discarded cards from the Buy Media Markers step are switched with cards from the Exchange Pool
c) Discarded left over Cards from the Score Current State go to the Exchange Pool up to 1 per issue (so max is 14) the rest goes to the Discard Pile. There is a limit of 14 cards in the Exchange Pool one from each issue pro and con max.

3) Valley Games 3rd Edition
b) Discarded cards from the Buy Media Markers step are swithed with cards from the Exhange Pool
c) Discarded left over Cards from the Score Current State go to the Discard Pile. There is a limit of 6 cards in the Exchange Pool.

Now for my questions:
1) Are all the rules variants for each version written above correct per variant or am I missing something in a particular variant?
2) What variant should I use and why? Please feel free to elaborate on the pro's and con's of each.
3) Would you kindly fill in the Poll to express what ruling you think is the best but only if you've played the game 3 times or more I really want the opinion of the people that have more than newbie knowledge on the game, so your cooperation is appreciated!

Poll
What Rules version for the Exchange Pool works best for the Discards from a Current State Election?
Rat's Nest: no limit on nr of cards in the Exchange Pool
WBC variant: one card per issue (both pro and con) no more than 14 total
Valley games: no more than six cards in the Exchange Pool at all times
      14 answers
Poll created by Seth_Logan

Cheers,

Logan

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
NSW
flag msg tools
Menin Gate at Midnight, Will Longstaff, 1927.
badge
"At the landing, and here ever since" - Anzac Book, p. 35.
mbmbmbmbmb
We've always played by the Rat's Nest Ruling, the only reason being that these were the rules as we understood them when learning. The exchange board does get quite messy, and towards the end of the game there is basically a 'free choice' in what can be exchanged, so you may want to look towards the other two options for a more 'calculated' game ending situation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Mayer
United States
Arcadia
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I feel the 'six cards only' version makes for a less dynamic game, with a good chance that at least one player will feel shutout of any chance to improve his prospects after awhile.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Bachman
United States
Colonie
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played all three ways and the VG method is by far least desireable. I'd happily play it again with either the Rat's Nest or WBC options.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Webb
United States
Western Mitten
flag msg tools
designer
badge
GET A SILK BAG FROM THE GRAVEYARD DUCK TO LIVE LONGER.
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played the game in excess of 20 times. Almost all of the plays have been with Schmiel's "rat's nest" rules, but I could see the case for the WBC fix because on a few occasions the issue deck has run out at the end of the game.

An alternative to the current fix is to just reduce the pool to 1 of each if the issues deck runs out, as that is what we usually do in those scenarios and it works fine.

I played with the Valley rules once, and I prefer to never do so again. The media is devalued and the value of controlling it and pushing for an early absolute majority to change issues are both dramatically curtailed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.