Germany
Koblenz
flag msg tools
designer
Help me! I got addicted to MtG again!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I hope that 'poker work' is a fitting translation for the german 'brandmalerei' - at least dict.leo.org thinks so.

Edit: I added woodburning, as suggested by nick (both of them)... literal translation from german would be 'burn painting'.

One of my first DIY posts was about a micropul set I made from wood using wood burning to mark the tiles. For my latest project I decided to revisit this technique. The game 2 de Mayo with it's hidden orders and the asymmetrical sides was a instant love for me. But it took some time till the idea for how to building this came to an conclusion.

The micropul set did show me the limits of my woodworking skills, so I had to find some base that did not involve me in making it. And one day there was an advertisement from our Aldi store about wooden games, one of them a Backgammon/Mill folding box set with magnetic lock, where you can store the stones inside the board, and that only for 10€!

So I bought one and immediately started to get this Mill lines from the wood, as cautious as possible (remember, my woodworking skills...). I succeeded after a few hours of sanding. You are asking why the mill? First because burning the designs on the outside is easier than on the inside, and second because I think Backgammon is a good companion to 2 de Mayo.

For the orders I decided to hunt for some slate boards. I found small ones (with a wood frame) in a store for kids, and they fitted the inside of the folding board exactly.

Now I started designing the board and the decorations. Beginning from a trace of the games logo I made a border for the slates, a symbol for a storage bag and also placed it in one corner of my square board, cause the map of the game is not square and I had some space to cover. It took various iterations to get the final board design finished, because it had to be informative, but also not to complex, as the burning tool is not easy to control in the finer details.

After hours of design and redesign with the Gimp and Inkscape I came up with some decent drawings.

I used a yellow heavy duty transfer film to copy the designs to the board. The yellow is hard to see, but it has the advantage that it does not interfere with the overall image of the board if a branded line goes not exactly along the copied design. First I did the slates, which was very easy cause the wood was soft and I was sure it would work out fine.

But the box was a totally different thing cause the wood was hard and I did not know it's depth. So I started with the logo and did a first test burn in the large area of the 2. Guess what, everything went fine. Now I had to find the time to make the whole thing. In the meantime I had some ideas about adding setup info to the board and Camelorn reviewed those and added some ideas for marking turn 3 and the 'riding' areas.

After some more hours it finally was finished:

For storage I also decorated two cloth bags with Backgammon and 2 de Mayo logos using iron on transfer film. Everything fits neatly inside the box as you can see on the following picture:

All ready for a nice game of 2 de Mayo! (perhaps followed by Backgammon?)

For those interested in the time and money: I spent about 30€ for the materials (the slates where actually more expensive than the board), and it took about 35 hours of time to finish the project (spread over some months...).

Also listed on my HowTo Geeklist.

Edit: lots of typos
Edit 2: added time and cost info
Edit 3: added design image
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick N
United States
San Leandro
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: 2 de Mayo poker work folding box board
Very nice. In the states that technique is typically called that "woodburning".

Edit: well googling seems to indicate that "pokerwork" is an acceptable term as well, but I'd never heard it before. Also "pyrography".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Hayes
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nine9ths wrote:
Very nice. In the states that technique is typically called that "woodburning".

Edit: well googling seems to indicate that "pokerwork" is an acceptable term as well, but I'd never heard it before. Also "pyrography".

I think wood burning is the best translation. I've never heard of "poker work" before either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Menzel
United States
Montpelier
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
Missed it by that much ...
mbmbmbmbmb
Gorgeous work- what a clever idea! meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Absolutely beautiful! Great work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♬♪♪ ♫ ♩ ♫♫♪ ♩♬♪ ♫
Australia
MURRUMBEENA
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
All reality is a game. Physics at its most fundamental, the very fabric of our universe, results directly from the interaction of certain fairly simple rules, and chance... (Iain Banks)
mbmbmbmbmb

Beautiful work! My father used to do pokerwork* with a soldering iron; I have a letter-opener that he decorated while in New Guinea during WWIII. My own efforts are terribly feeble in comparison.

*In Australia this craft technique is definitely called "pokerwork" (one word, not two) and sometimes also pyrography. The latter is usually used by people who have invested in expensive, electric irons.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Graf
Germany
Koblenz
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ozludo wrote:

*In Australia this craft technique is definitely called "pokerwork" (one word, not two) and sometimes also pyrography. The latter is usually used by people who have invested in expensive, electric irons.

Hmmm, well, mine is electric, but it was not that expensive. Around 20€ if I remember correctly.

I like pyrography, sounds more like the german Brandmalerei.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♬♪♪ ♫ ♩ ♫♫♪ ♩♬♪ ♫
Australia
MURRUMBEENA
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
All reality is a game. Physics at its most fundamental, the very fabric of our universe, results directly from the interaction of certain fairly simple rules, and chance... (Iain Banks)
mbmbmbmbmb
lydon wrote:
I like pyrography, sounds more like the german Brandmalerei.

Enjoy A bit of googling indicates that "pokerwork" seems to refer to burning details into wood, whereas "pyrography" can also refer to the craft of burning details into leather. I had no idea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Cabellon
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmb
I head out to the thrift stores around my home once every other week or so. Even though I have 3 backgammon sets already, I generally pick additional copies up just for the case. They come in mini briefcases that I could use for other game components.

You're taking it a step further and the end result is amazing. Thanks for sharing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Runcible Spoon
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Really good how to, thanks for sharing!

Also, thanks for the update with time and cost, I always wonder about that when I see really god PnP projects like yours.

Good luck with your next project (you have skills so I assume that there will be another one someday)!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Graf
Germany
Koblenz
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks!

Currently I try to finish a LEGO game I designed, but new rules come to live every time I do a test :-)

I gather my ideas on lydons DIY ToDo, and I'm always open for suggestions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Graf
Germany
Koblenz
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I added the transfer design I used to paint the board to the gallery:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Coen Velden
Germany
Geldern
Deutschland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ozludo wrote:

Beautiful work! My father used to do pokerwork* with a soldering iron; I have a letter-opener that he decorated while in New Guinea during WWIII. My own efforts are terribly feeble in comparison.

Being a little late to the party, I wanted to know if your father also pokerworked a time machine?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.