J Holmes
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hey hey.

With Lego Games such as "Orient Bazaar" http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/76920/orient-bazaar they provide a rule set, and a couple of variants, and suggest users create their own rules and upload them to the Lego Games website.

Assuming you keep the base mechanics [roll dice, purchase items] but add in a variety of new rules and features [print and play material] can you ever call yourself a boardgame designer?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
...Maybe?

I think this is one of those "fine line" issues that can be really tricky. If you take a game and modify or add to it, you might be the equivalent of a book editor--you took someone else's work and made it better. Which is a completely worthy and noble pursuit. But you might also have designed an entirely new game. How much innovation was involved? How many ideas were yours, and how many were borrowed from the source game?

Tricky. I can see it going both ways.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Migas
United States
Akron
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes.

In the Architectural world it is called a precedent. Copy what has been done before. Modify it to match the new situation. I do it all of the time at work. Yes I call it designing. Making all the new stuff fit with the old can sometimes get complicated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Mucchiello
United States
Edison
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
If you are adding entirely new systems, you are designing.
If you are changing the numbers on existing systems, you are developing.

But in most cases, this is just splitting hairs and for most games, the designer also ends up being the developer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.