Popular Tags: [View All]
Kevin Wenzel
United States
Bloomington
IN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Startup Fever A Preview!

Introduction: Well this is my first endeavor into writing for a beta game, and I am struggling about how to go about it. First off I don’t want to call it a review because the game I am playing will be dramatically different than the one you would be picking up in the stores in October. The game represents a web company and you hire nerds and suites to make you money and produce better products to get more users. Louis the game designer wrote me and asked if I would like to write a review for his new game Startup Fever. I agreed to do it, not realizing it would fall at the same time of the end of the school year. Needless to say this game preview has been writing on only two plays of the game and here’s why. It is currently a game you can back on Kick starter and the deadline is fast approaching! I am trying to get it out for the sake that this game has great potential and the game designer Louis Perrochon from the little I know of him seems to be a really down to earth and approachable guy( Another words someone who cares and is passionate about gaming).

The Events: Anyway I received the game in the mail and proceeded to read the rules several times and play it several times. I found the game a little daunting at firsts because it is a little busy. There are tons of little pieces all over the board and the mechanics of the game keep you working. The beta was simple a nightmare for anyone with colorblindness. At first glance it was like one had tossed a bag of skittles on the table and told you to make a first move. I didn’t get to play with my first attempt at a university play group because there is so much I didn’t have a firm grasp, and struggled to understand all the little idiosyncrasies the game offers.The learning curb which isn’t really steep, but does need a little extra time to memorize all the little extra rules and I found riddled throughout the game.

The First Playing: Finally I played with my friends gaming group. It didn’t go over well for a few reasons. Not due to any faults of the game, but the fact you have to consistently having to be bothering your opponents with event cards otherwise you will lose the game. Most of these event cards are not nice and designed to make an element of play of your turn fail. There is one person in our group who is just plan nice and does not like being mean to her opponent’s, and we struggle with the viciousness of play. We tend to play friendlier versions of games. Needless to say you can’t take this game personal. Startup Fever in order for it to be played properly needs to be critically cut throat.

The Second Playing: The second playing was a three person game with the University group. The early part of the game is pretty static as you feel you are just doing maintenance to the process and make minor decisions like do I start hiring nerds or suites right away or hold out for a large suite or large nerd. The game slowly builds with intensity as workers and money begin to run out. It turns out that my beta copy of the game was sent with an older rulebook. This would explain some confusion of the game. We got into some of the wars as products came head to head and companies were spending all their money to protect their investment. The theme played rather well as we laughed at some of the terminology and humor that allows to quickly make quips about why Neal your CEO closed a big deal and your company is getting more money or why Kate messed up planning on a web feature and messed up the turn order making you play last. One person dominated the battle for Social Networking and comments like oh your Facebook or Twitter and crushing the competition (sorry live journal).

The Good: Startup Fever is designed for people who love to play commerce games with lots of cut throat action. The theme does a good job thrusting you into the mindset of a conniving CEO trying to get your company off the ground while taking out people that are getting the way of your profit margin. Event cards prove to be fun with little touches like naming the employee Steve the guy that allowed himself to be an instant poach because you stopped offering free food in the employee food courts. There was a lot of fun strategy as well, but almost too much as players forget some of the things we were supposed to do each round like user loss which allowed a person with unlaunched companies (Companies that have not gone public) to lower the lead of launched companies on the board. Also sometimes you forget about your large suite or nerd that gives you bonuses for all parts of your company.

The Bad: The negative qualities of the game are the sheer business of it. This game has lots of little pieces and you are moving them all the time. Some of the wording was confusing like fully vested meant an employee was more willing to leave due to the maturity of stock options. Even the color of the pieces didn’t make things clear with White cubes for money (We didn’t want cubes for money) and Green cubes for suites. This is the beta and the game still needed some rules tweaked and some maintenance elements streamlined like working out turn order which got a little tedious sometimes.

The Conclusion: Now here is the Kicker, while we discuss this game as is it is in this current reality it could be greatly different by the time it makes it to market. So I say if this game sounds at all appealing to you it deserves a second look because it has great potential. If you want to help someone else with their own startup you have a few days till June 13th to help a new game designer with his game making fever.

Come check out 2D6.org for the article with pics and all the fun stuff you have come to expect, and not to mention our monthly giveaways! http://www.2d6.org/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Louis Perrochon
msg tools
designer
publisher
Designer of "Startup Fever"
badge
Designer of "Startup Fever".
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Kevin for the review. Colors will be fixed: Money will be yellow, and suits will be blue. We are also working on turn order and product chips, including making it friendly for color blind gamers. These are more artifacts of the beta which has been "designed" by me, not by a professional designer and artist.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manuel Pasi
Switzerland
Zürich
flag msg tools
Ka Mate Ka Mate
badge
Ka Ora Ka Ora
mbmbmbmbmb
Nicely done! And, to me, much more interesting than the 1233rd 7 Wonders review...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Wenzel
United States
Bloomington
IN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PasiMax wrote:
Nicely done! And, to me, much more interesting than the 1233rd 7 Wonders review...

Manuel I hope you will be ok with one more cause I am making a video in the coming weeks for 7 wonders.

whistle Kevin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Wenzel
United States
Bloomington
IN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Louis Thank you so much for the edit notes! I must admit The new cards and board design are stunning!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manuel Pasi
Switzerland
Zürich
flag msg tools
Ka Mate Ka Mate
badge
Ka Ora Ka Ora
mbmbmbmbmb
FrankConner wrote:
PasiMax wrote:

Manuel I hope you will be ok with one more cause I am making a video in the coming weeks for 7 wonders.

whistle Kevin

blush

whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.