Merric Blackman
Australia
Waubra
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
Ramping up my reviewing.
badge
Happily playing games for many, many years.
mbmbmbmbmb
Rich played a heavy-scientist leader strategy this game with Aristotle, Leonardo and Newton taking him through to the modern age, when a Rock'n'roll Icon helped boost his culture gain in the later game.

I played a more scattered strategy, with Moses giving way to Michelangelo and later Robiespierre, with Einstein being there for me in the endgame.

Age I:
I built up to 4 mines in this game, built the Pyramids, played Code of Laws, and had Moses boost my population greatly. A Historic Territory and a Work of Art card allowed me to boost my culture up to 19 by the end of Age 1, but I was only gaining 1 knowledge/turn, so technology cards were far and few between.

Rich colonised a Wealthy Territory and built the Library of Alexandria, whilst also discovering Alchemy and Iron. His population was low, but he was making 5 rocks/turn compared to my 4, and 4 knowledge at turn (not counting Aristotle's bonus). His culture lagged behind at 10, though not too far behind!

Age II:
Michelangelo allowed me to gain a lot of culture as Theology came into play, and Printing Presses and Scientific Method finally saw me beginning to enter the technological race. I was still in Despotism, but with Irrigation and Iron active, I wasn't too worried yet. My culture had reached a healthy 65.

Rich built the Transcontinental Railroad late in the age, trumping my military and making things quite difficult for my colonists (as he took a Historic territory to make up a lot of the culture difference). Riflemen, Coal, Selective Breeding and Drama - as well as a Monarchy - gave him the potential for great things, despite his lesser population. The worrying feature for Rich was his culture, lagging further behind at 48.

My tableau

Rich's tableau

Age III:
I finished the Ocean Liner service and went on a string of colonizations: seeded territories came my way as Rich was hampered by not rebuilding his military. (There was a point in the game as we each had a Wealthy Territory and a Historic Territory). I took the colony lead with an Inhabited Territory and a Fertile Territory... but I could see the strain on Rich as he decided not to destroy his military for command of the Territory, instead hitting me with an aggression for a 14-culture swing.

And culture points were something Rich needed, and his civilisation went into brilliance as it gained them. I'd lost Michelangelo, and without his guidance my culture levels increased only slowly. Rich used his Opera, his Rock'n'Roll Icon and Democracy to reach 16 culture/turn, compared to my 8/turn at the end of the third age.

Meanwhile, Einstein allowed me to finally become the master of technology, though I was greatly hampered by not having access to anything but Iron. Rich had Coal, and so was able to build wonders. And Oil? It was the very last card in the Age III deck.

As the third Age ended, Rich was on 118 culture and I was on 126 culture. However, I had one additional turn (as it had ended on Rich's turn and he was first player), and I'd been seeding the majority of the Impact cards.

The Endgame
Rich finished the Internet, but it wasn't worth nearly as many points as he needed. My own modern wonder never got completed and was discarded. Oh, I needed more rocks! Impact after impact came up, and Rich was the worse off for most of them. How much he wanted an Impact of Strength or similar, but such was not his luck this game.

IMPACT OF ARCHITECTURE: Rich +7, Merric +12
IMPACT OF COLONIES: Rich +8, Merric +16
IMPACT OF SCIENCE: Rich +11, Merric +15
IMPACT OF AGRICULTURE: Rich +5, Merric +12
IMPACT OF GOVERNMENT: Rich +19, Merric +21
IMPACT OF POPULATION: Rich +14, Merric +26
IMPACT OF WONDERS: Rich +10, Merric +8

Merric 259, Rich 224

All things considered, it was a pretty close (and rather high-scoring) game. I think my population gave it to me at the end, but a couple of good military cards on Rich's side might have swung it his way.

My tableau

Rich's tableau
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Norgren
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmb
Ouch 1 beaker at end of age I, surprised at the outcome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D K
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
He made up for it in CA's, I do wonder, with the 3 or 4 colonies he had why Robes instead of Cook for Age 2 leader!?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Merric Blackman
Australia
Waubra
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
Ramping up my reviewing.
badge
Happily playing games for many, many years.
mbmbmbmbmb
SirDusk wrote:
He made up for it in CA's, I do wonder, with the 3 or 4 colonies he had why Robes instead of Cook for Age 2 leader!?

The four colonies came up *very* late. And Cook was very early in Age 2 - and, quite likely, at an inconvenient time to take.

Cheers!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Seitz
United States
Glen Allen
VA
flag msg tools
badge
Like water spilled on the ground, which cannot be recovered, so we must die. But God does not take away life; instead, he devises ways so that a banished person may not remain estranged from him. 2 Sam 14:14
mbmbmbmbmb
Atomation wrote:
Ouch 1 beaker at end of age I, surprised at the outcome.

Agree, although if both players play like that it doesn't affect the outcome.

But I can't understand how people can play with essentially no science. It's like we're not even playing the same game! (Dude doesn't even have a tactics card.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Eldridge
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another good game had by all. I always do enjoy my experiences whilst playing Through the Ages, but I need to get others I know playing it with my copy. I'd like to win for once arrrh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Bove
United States
East Lansdowne
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, when Rich had a 5-1 science edge in Age I (he had the library and two alchemies), he should have pushed for military techs and used his vastly superior army to play aggressions and wars throughout Ages II and III. That should easily have erased the culture deficit.

Also, it looks like you both overvalued colonies. Colonies are nice, but when neither player has any military to speak of they can be very costly to win. Again, the player with the military edge should have seeded strongest/weakest events, not colonies. He might have even let the other player get a colony or two "cheaply" as a poisoned pawn strategy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D K
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
montu wrote:
Also, it looks like you both overvalued colonies. Colonies are nice, but when neither player has any military to speak of they can be very costly to win. Again, the player with the military edge should have seeded strongest/weakest events, not colonies. He might have even let the other player get a colony or two "cheaply" as a poisoned pawn strategy.

I agree, I do not seed any Colonies in the deck. How often do they come up when it is your turn? So if you can bid 4 but no more, and someone else bids your 4 you are screwed. I just avoid Colonies all together (I will bid on them if others put them in), the only way I will play one is if I took Christopher because all other good age 1 leaders are gone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Rudd
England
Bideford
Devon
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
SirDusk wrote:

I agree, I do not seed any Colonies in the deck. How often do they come up when it is your turn? So if you can bid 4 but no more, and someone else bids your 4 you are screwed.

It depends on the situation, of course, but if someone bids your limit, the marginal advantage granted by the colony is probably pretty small at that price, and he may well be overbidding.

(There are, of course, ways to set your empire up so that you're likely to win colonies at bargain prices, and in those situations, you should aggressively seed colonies into the deck.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Seitz
United States
Glen Allen
VA
flag msg tools
badge
Like water spilled on the ground, which cannot be recovered, so we must die. But God does not take away life; instead, he devises ways so that a banished person may not remain estranged from him. 2 Sam 14:14
mbmbmbmbmb
JackRudd wrote:
SirDusk wrote:

I agree, I do not seed any Colonies in the deck. How often do they come up when it is your turn? So if you can bid 4 but no more, and someone else bids your 4 you are screwed.

It depends on the situation, of course, but if someone bids your limit, the marginal advantage granted by the colony is probably pretty small at that price, and he may well be overbidding.

(There are, of course, ways to set your empire up so that you're likely to win colonies at bargain prices, and in those situations, you should aggressively seed colonies into the deck.)

This is why I favor Cartography and a good food engine. You are primed to win colonies and replace any losses.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.