Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
9 Posts

Arkham Horror» Forums » Strategy

Subject: after a few play throughs i have some questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
tim thorson
United States
Chaska
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
the first is when you come back from the other world and you close the gate, do you have an Arkham encounter. I assume no. Also, when you have a weapon let's that is two hands, if it doesn't say discard after use you can use it after your next upkeep. So, I am playing with Yig as the Ancient One. It seems as though, and maybe just because we are new to the game (in 2 player), we can even come close to closing all the gates before the Ancient One awakens. Could be bad luck on which gates we draw but after one or two are open we get a few monster surges and then things are downhill. But when Yig awakens, we don't have too much difficulty beating him. I know Yig is supposed to be one of the easier Ancient Ones in the game.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Crockett
United States
Bridgewater
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
First question: You do not ahve an arkham encounter if a gate is present, this holds true if you've just come back or on the turn you jump. Also note that, when returning to Arkham, you do not have to encounter any monsters standing on that gate unless you choose to (if you choose to encounter any, you have to then encounter all)

Second question: If the card in question does not say discard to use, then you still have it. Furthermore, if the card does not say "exhaust" then the card is not exhausted and can be used as many times as you want. (example: the sword of Glory, Tommy Gun, Rifle, Shogun, etc, that just say +x to combat checks do not exhaust and can be used against multiple enemies in a row)

Third: Yig is only the easiest to beat in final combat, he is one of the hardest to seal in the base game due to his speed. If you want an easier AO to seal/close against, play Azathoth (the one I usualy use for teaching) he's a doom fourteen, and doesn't pick up extra doom tokens like Yig does.

Welcome to Arkham.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Duke
United Kingdom
Fleet
Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
When you're on a location with a Gate in the Arkham Encounters phase, you do one of two things:
- If you do not have an Explored token, your encounter is to enter the Gate and move to the first space of the Other World, where you will have an Other World encounter in the Other World encounter phase this turn.
- If you do have an Explored token, your encounter is to deal with the Gate. You can choose to ignore it, attempt to close it (and seal with Clues if successful), or seal with an Elder Sign or equivalent.
You will never have a normal Arkham Encounter on the same turn as closing/sealing the Gate.

Most weapons can be used as often as you need, so long as you have the hands to use them. A few may exhaust after one use (either one Combat round or after dealing with one monster), or be truly 'one-shot' (discarded after use), but by default you can keep using weapons as often as you want every turn. The card text will tell you if the weapon is not unlimited usage.

With only 2 investigators, you will usually be hard-pressed to keep up with the gates - especially with Yig's short Doom Track. You need to use more investigators if you want to have more chances of winning without the Ancient One awakening.
However, do make sure you're dealing with the Monster Limit and Outskirts correctly - you should never have more than 5 monsters actively moving around on the board for 2 investigators, and the Outskirts need to have 6 monsters before the Terror Level rises, which should take a while even with several Gates open.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tim thorson
United States
Chaska
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the responses. I think we were dealing with the monster limits correctly and adding them to the oustkirts. Then, when they hit the limit add one to terror track. I will try another AO with a longer track.

One last question, so if you have an explored token and you close the gate, you need to seal it without moving out of that location, correct?

I thought I read that in the rules. So either, you need to have your clues before you go in or your elder sign before going in. (unless you gained some inside the other world... which I haven't yet but I don't know if there are any situations where you do)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Tan
Philippines
Quezon City
Metro Manila
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
thor0298 wrote:
Thanks for the responses. I think we were dealing with the monster limits correctly and adding them to the oustkirts. Then, when they hit the limit add one to terror track. I will try another AO with a longer track.

One last question, so if you have an explored token and you close the gate, you need to seal it without moving out of that location, correct?

I thought I read that in the rules. So either, you need to have your clues before you go in or your elder sign before going in. (unless you gained some inside the other world... which I haven't yet but I don't know if there are any situations where you do)


Yes. Once an investigator moves away from a gate that he just explored, he loses the token. When that investigator comes back (and the gate is still there), he'll have to go through that other world again.

There are a number of Other World encounters that will give clues and other stuff on occasion, but usually you would enter having the clues and/or Elder Sign in hand. Just assume that the game is out to get you...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tim thorson
United States
Chaska
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
If you have 3 gates open, and the next two times you draw gates, it is one of those, that is 6 monsters right there. Yes some go to the outskirts, but I guess another question is when does the if there are two monsters in the outskirts and you are overrun, what happens to them now since there is no monster limit. Also, the rules say if a flying monster can't attack some because there is no one adjacent (don't remember the verbage exactly) so it goes to the sky. Then, it says they can swoop down to any street. Does that mean anytime you go through the street and there is a monster in the sky, you need to fight/evade it?

And other than unles a mythos card or some other card says so, the only time that the terror level rises is when too many monsters are in the outskirts?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Vertayk wrote:
Second question: If the card in question does not say discard to use, then you still have it. Furthermore, if the card does not say "exhaust" then the card is not exhausted and can be used as many times as you want. (example: the sword of Glory, Tommy Gun, Rifle, Shogun, etc, that just say +x to combat checks do not exhaust and can be used against multiple enemies in a row)
Is that a one-handed Shogun, or a two-handed Shogun? I'm amazed that it doesn't need to be refreshed during Upkeep; I would have thought that you'd need a Tea Ceremony to use it again or that you'd have to pay a penalty - like your head.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
goodshepherd wrote:
Just assume that the game is out to get you...
I don't think that there's a need to assume; I have plenty of evidence that confirms your suspicion.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
thor0298 wrote:
...the rules say if a flying monster can't attack some because there is no one adjacent (don't remember the verbage exactly) so it goes to the sky. Then, it says they can swoop down to any street. Does that mean anytime you go through the street and there is a monster in the sky, you need to fight/evade it?
flying monsters only swoop down from the sky when they move (their dimensional symbol appears on a Mythos, or a Gate Burst is drawn). If a flying monster moves it moves to the Investigator in the street who has the lowest Sneak (first player resolves ties). Once a flier has swooped down, you treat it like any other monster that you find in the same area as you - fight/evade during next movement.

Quote:
And other than unles a mythos card or some other card says so, the only time that the terror level rises is when too many monsters are in the outskirts?
Well, there are other situations in the game (such as with Innsmouth), but in general this is correct for the Base game.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.