Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Josh Martin
Canada
Mississauga
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When stealing a road and/or knight, do you have to keep the face side up stolen if you don't have any pre-existing knights/roads in front of you (I'm aware of the A/B rule but that really only applies if you're building a road/knight on top of another road/knight). I'm assuming you can choose which side to build (either select the point or the ability) when it's your only one, but maybe it HAS to be A first? I couldn't find this in the rules.

Also, what the heck is with the insert in the box? Doesn't seem functional in any way??

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pueblo
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's how we played it...

One person has three roads, ABA, and the other has four, ABAB. When player 1 steals a road from person two, they then have ABAB, while P2 has BAB. If P2 then stole one back, the stacks would be P1: BAB, P2: BABA.

The top one is only set to A if it is the first card of that kind you have (first road or knight). Otherwise they will not come over in the same state that they are from the opponent, but will be on whatever side they need to in order to continue the ABAB pattern.

Maybe we were doing it wrong, but that's how we understood it for our first game.

Edit:
If you're building a new one, and not stealing it, it must still follow the ABAB alternation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Martin
Canada
Mississauga
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's how I was playing it too, but there is still this situation: you're building your first knight/road, but all of them are taken, therefore you must steal. The people you are stealing from all have them in the B format. Does the knight/road you steal automatically flip back to an A? It would following your logic, which basically makes sense and is how I was playing it too, and follows from if you're building from supply for the first time. It doesn't appear to be clearly in the rules though (I steal a B and I then have to flip it back to an A or vice versa).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve K
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
My reading of the rules is that you always build roads & knights with alternating A/B sides (using A first).

You're only "stealing" another player's road/knight in the sense that you're taking their topmost road/knight to use for your build action. The A/B orientation that the other player had is irrelevent: the "stolen" card is placed A/B side up to match your sequence.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thels de Kwant
Netherlands
Haarlem
Noord-Holland
flag msg tools
From the way I understand, if you have an odd number of roads/knights, you always have 1 more A than B, while if you have an even number of roads/knights, you always have equal A and B.

Regardless if you build them and take them from the center stack, build them and take them from another player, or have another player build them and take them from you, after you're done, you make sure that all your roads and knights go ABABA...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Webster
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1st Knight/Road = A
2nd Knight/Road = B
3rd Knight/Road = A
4th Knight/Road = B. ......
Keep repeating pattern

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.