Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: can_see_just_fine [+] [View All]
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
From earlier discussions of literature, and games in nature, it had me thinking of what kind of landscape I was raised in from the media that made me such a science fiction fans, or why RPG's are so prevalent in the late 30's-40's crowd. And I say, look no further that what we were watching in those years for the answer. And I didn't even watch Dr. Who...Didn't have the time. SyFy channel of today? Pffft....Enjoy the next hour.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
You mean you never saw Quark? That show was hilarious! And it had the doublemint twins in it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wmshub wrote:
You mean you never saw Quark? That show was hilarious! And it had the doublemint twins in it!

I did! Added. (Hard to remember then all )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Added "Project Blue Book"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:
Added "Project Blue Book"
Oh wow, I remember watching that one! My favorite was the one where robbie the robot chased some guy through the woods. To get away, the guy climbed a tree and used his lighter to drop flaming twigs on robbie, who put them out with his built-in fire extinguisher then wandered off. And remember, it's all based on real government investigations! Even in third grade I knew that this was not likely to be how meeting advanced alien creatures/robots would go.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Added "Salvage 1"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Added The Invisible Man and the Six Million Dollar Man...as they both had aliens on it at one time or another.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
"This is a really weird game, and you’ll find that most people will not want to play this."
mb
"When the Omni is red, it means history is wrong."
Wow, i loved Voyagers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Warnken
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
I'm not crazy. My mother had me tested.
badge
Happy grandfather!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
What about Ultraman?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you also forgot:

and

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JessA
United States
Southwestern
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
That's MRS. McFoxFace to you!
mbmbmbmbmb
Where the hell is Johnny Quest????

Otherwise, I'd say:

That'll do, Chapel, that'll do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Levy
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Best hobby, with the best people in the world. Gaming is the best!
mbmbmbmbmb
tscook wrote:
Interest in space/sci fi was probably high due to have a space program that still made headlines for things other than disasters and budget cuts.

Nah. I bet 90% of these shows stemmed from exactly one thing: the massive success of Star Wars. Prior to that, sci-fi on TV and the movies was considered box office poison. And that matches very well with the age group Chapel is talking about. A 40-year-old's formative years would coincide exactly with the years immediately following the release of Star Wars.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morgan Dontanville
United States
Charlottesville
VA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Plate of Shrimp.
badge
Here we are folks, the dream we all dream of.
mbmbmbmbmb
Sadly, I'd add Knight Rider, Other World, Manimal, Streethawk, and Misfits of Science to that list.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jatoha wrote:
Where the hell is Johnny Quest????

I probably should have added Johnny Quest, but then I thought if I added too many cartoons, THEN that was a whole other story.

Poster Above: Ahhh. Land of the Giants. Totally forgot that one. I don't remember "The Invaders", but it looks way cool. Will have to see if I can find a copy of that series somewhere.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
午餐先生
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Larry Levy wrote:
tscook wrote:
Interest in space/sci fi was probably high due to have a space program that still made headlines for things other than disasters and budget cuts.

Nah. I bet 90% of these shows stemmed from exactly one thing: the massive success of Star Wars. Prior to that, sci-fi on TV and the movies was considered box office poison. And that matches very well with the age group Chapel is talking about. A 40-year-old's formative years would coincide exactly with the years immediately following the release of Star Wars.

I never saw Quark growing up, but I can tell you after watching that clip the opening theme is a total take on Star Trek, so that influenced a lot of those too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sisteray wrote:
Sadly, I'd add Knight Rider, Other World, Manimal, Streethawk, and Misfits of Science to that list.

I was thinking Maninmal, but for some reason couldn't force myself to add it. Misfits of Science is a good one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morgan Dontanville
United States
Charlottesville
VA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Plate of Shrimp.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:
sisteray wrote:

I was thinking Maninmal, but for some reason couldn't force myself to add it. Misfits of Science is a good one.

You never watched this Otherworld?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Otherworld_%28TV_series%29

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sisteray wrote:

That's another one I must have missed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Speaking of SyFy...

If they were to obtain the rights to every one of the shows in this thread, plus a couple of others (Space: Above and Beyond, Red Dwarf, I'm sure there are others), and replace their entire current line-up with these shows (even the cheesiest of them, including the cartoons), wouldn't most people agree that they would massively improve their network overnight?

I mean, yeah, they have a couple of original series worth repeating (BSG, Stargate SG-1), but for the most part, their original programming sucks, and the addition of wrestling (WTF) and ghost hunting seems so stupid. If this is supposed to be a network mostly about science fiction, it would do well to highlight shows that, well, have something to do about science fiction.

Frankly, I'd rather watch reruns of 40 year old science fiction TV series than another installment of wrestling or ghost hunting. I don't think I'm alone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BoB 3K
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would add a lot of cartoons. Cartoons were so imaginative in the 80s--Thundercats, He-Man, Thundaar the Barbarian, Transformers, G.I.Joe (no real aliens in G.I. Joe, but pretty scifiy spy-type gadgets and weapons in about every episode.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BoB 3K
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
desertfox2004 wrote:
wouldn't most people agree that they would massively improve their network overnight?

Sadly no, most people wouldn't agree. Most nerds and actual scifi fans would agree, but I bet the ratings compared to Ghost Morons and WWE would be lower, possibly much lower, and that is all SyFy gives a shit about.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BoB 3K
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One of my favorite cartoons ever, although probably not as much SciFi as Fantasy--

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BoB3K wrote:
desertfox2004 wrote:
wouldn't most people agree that they would massively improve their network overnight?

Sadly no, most people wouldn't agree. Most nerds and actual scifi fans would agree, but I bet the ratings compared to Ghost Morons and WWE would be lower, possibly much lower, and that is all SyFy gives a shit about.

I refuse to believe that! (or, more accurately, I wish it weren't true). angry soblue

Who the hell watches WWE anyways, and how in the hell did it end up on SyFy of all places? cry At least with the ghost show, as stupid and fake as it is, it does have a paranormal angle, which is at least tangentially in line with science fiction of some kind. But pro wrestling? Really?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morgan Dontanville
United States
Charlottesville
VA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Plate of Shrimp.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
desertfox2004 wrote:
BoB3K wrote:
desertfox2004 wrote:

I refuse to believe that! (or, more accurately, I wish it weren't true). angry soblue

Who the hell watches WWE anyways, and how in the hell did it end up on SyFy of all places? cry At least with the ghost show, as stupid and fake as it is, it does have a paranormal angle, which is at least tangentially in line with science fiction of some kind. But pro wrestling? Really?

It doesn't make sense, because pro wrestling is real.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.