Subject: re: Retreat after attrition combat rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Doug Poskitt
Portugal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rule 18.33 - "... if forced to do so, he may retreat into enemy ZOC, or into a vacant enemy-controlled hex."

It's high summer on the Russian Front and Germany has chewed an enormous hole in the Soviet lines the previous Spring turn. The Red Army has responded with vigour and has managed an effective defense against "Operation Teutonic Fury". The German High Command are considering an all-or-nothing gamble for the Summer turn, where they seek to place the vast majority of the Russian defenders out of supply for the Soviet Summer 41 turn.

The success of the Axis Summer offensive hinges on being able to withstand a possible Russian attrition attack in Summer 41 that seeks to provide re-supply to their beleagured units.

My question:

Am I reading that portion of 18.33 cited above in that if the Axis forces have to retreat from a given hex, and they can retreat to an Axis controlled hex, then that is what they must do?

In other words, the wording of 18.33 prevents the Axis from retreating it's units to a Soviet-controlled hex if they can retreat to a hex controlled by themselves?

It might seem a silly question, but the stakes are high in this game and if "Teutonic Fury" ends in a whimper, then so does the chances for Axis victory end likewise.

I'm guess I'm asking for confirmation of that which I already know ...

gulp

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jersey Guys
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mb
A retreating defender has to move into his own controlled hex if possible. There's a DQB on rule 18.33 that makes clear the defender can only move into an enemy controlled hex while retreating if forced to do so (i.e., if there's no alternatives.) Hope that helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Poskitt
Portugal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Jersey Guys!

Sadly, it confirms my understanding.

Doug

PS Great AAR ... wish I lived in your neck of the woods! Beers, a game turn (or a half), then beers/dinner. Sounds just the way to play!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oh my God They Banned Kenny
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Yep, the 'if forced to do so' in the 4th ed, as well as DQB, are pretty clear that any of overstacking, enemy controlled hex, enemy ZoC are only allowed if there is no alternative. What perhaps isn't clear is if there is any precedence amongst them. So, if the only choices were from three hexes, one of which was enemy controlled, another friendly but in an enemy ZoC and a third which would result in overstacking, I suppose the defender could 'choose his poison'.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Poskitt
Portugal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I feared as much.

Ah man, the best laid plans sometimes come down to the vagaries of the die roll.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.