Subject: Potentially Big iOS News rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Justin
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
She wore! She wore! She wore a yellow ribbon! She wore a yellow ribbon in the merry month of May, And when I asked her why she wore that ribbon,
badge
She said, "It's for the Arsenal and we’re going to Wembley!" Wembley! Wembley! We’re the famous Arsenal and we’re going to Wembley!
mbmbmbmbmb
Like many others I frequently enjoy board game ports on my iPhone & iPad, but the worst part of many of these otherwise great ports is the lack of online multiplayer. Some developers can't afford to implement their own backend; others don't bother. Some, like Carcassonne and Ticket to Ride, offer impressive multiplayer matching that we wish every port could emulate.

At today's WWDC keynote, the Apple folks slipped in a relatively tiny detail that could have big ramifications for us - iOS Game Center now supports turn based games. Devs no longer need to create their own back end; they can use Apple's. So there is little excuse now for our favorite board game ports to NOT have multiplayer. It wasn't clear when that feature was going live though. I only found this one mention of it, from Engadget's coverage:

Engadget wrote:
2:12PM And, you can now play turn-based games right in the OS. Settlers and Carcasonne fans in the house just started smiling.

I'm cautiously very happy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon M
United States
Branchburg
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That IS big news. Do you know if Apple's Gamecenter currently has matchmaking so you can join gams with people you don't know? That would be a huge plus.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabe Alvaro
United States
Berkeley
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/661075/turn-based-gaming-bui...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabe Alvaro
United States
Berkeley
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mugs wrote:
Do you know if Apple's Gamecenter currently has matchmaking so you can join gams with people you don't know? That would be a huge plus.

I think it does for realtime games. But it would appear that Game Center is getting ready to introduce such support for "turn-based" games as well. Sure hoping that what they really mean by "turn-based" is "asynchronous".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.