Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Taylor
United States
Katy
TX
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Would there be any adverse affect to gameplay buying only two core sets, requiring 34 card decks, and only allowing 2 of each card, instead of buying 3 core sets and playing with the regular rules? Also, I understand the adventure packs will have 3 of each card. Will the deluxe expansions have 3 of each also, or has FF been putting 1 or 2 of certain cards in these bigger expansions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Martin
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have two core sets, and it actually works fine building decks with 50 cards, three copies of each. There are only a handful of cards you won't have three copies of, so as long as you aren't a completionist, you'll have quite a bit to work with.

Though if you don't have the game at all yet, I'd recommend just getting one set to start, and play around with building decks with just that, then decide if you want more cards to add in.

And, I'm pretty sure that anymore FFG puts 3x copies of each card in every LCG expansion, large and small.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shem francis barnett
Switzerland
Uster
zurich
flag msg tools
mb
scratched wrote:

Though if you don't have the game at all yet, I'd recommend just getting one set to start, and play around with building decks with just that, then decide if you want more cards to add in.

I have one core set and am enjoying the game immensely, so I agree with Josh.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Nicewander
United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Josh is on the mark here.

I broke down and got a second core set, but I am happy I did.

I won't be getting a third set, but like Josh said, it is nice to have three copies of the cards you only have doubles of from one set, and there are very few cards I have two copies of with two sets that I really wish I had three of (Wow, that was one hell of a sentence, but I didn't know any other way to say it ).

Definitely buy one set first and see what you think of the card mix before getting a second though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dusty
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
I'm in the bought two core sets unlikely to buy a third category.

The second set nicely filled out the card selection. I can switch out the two first quests without having to sort cards. I have plenty of spare cards for making proxies custom scenarios (or if I decide I need x3 of certain cards). I have four threat counters. All of which made the second set worth it for me. (Your milage may vary)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Burgess
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
scratched wrote:
I have two core sets, and it actually works fine building decks with 50 cards, three copies of each. There are only a handful of cards you won't have three copies of, so as long as you aren't a completionist, you'll have quite a bit to work with.

I'm going to have to respectfully disagree on this point - mostly on the 'quite a bit to work with' portion, if you're making four 50 card decks.

The starting decks are 30 cards (incl 1 Gandalf). With two core sets, you'd have eight of those, so 240 cards total. I built 50 card decks in this way to begin with and found it rather limiting. You'd need to use 200 of the 240 cards - or to put it another way, build a 60 card deck and then pick the 10 cards (~4-5 unique) you dislike the most and toss them.

Essentially I'm saying I don't feel that having to use 83.3% of the cards and only getting to pick the 16.6% you dislike to toss doesn't really give you much flexibility.

For this reason, after I made my 50 card decks I cut them to 40 cards until I get a few expansions. It's a co-op game among friends, who cares?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Is Board
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm very pleased with two core sets myself, who'll only get a third if a tournament scene springs up here. Just buy one set for now, make thirty card decks to get a feel for the interactionsand buy asecond set if you want more duplicates; that way you can make an informed decision

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Johnson
United States
San Ramon
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CrispyMyth wrote:
I won't be getting a third set, but like Josh said, it is nice to have three copies of the cards you only have doubles of from one set, and there are very few cards I have two copies of with two sets that I really wish I had three of (Wow, that was one hell of a sentence, but I didn't know any other way to say it ).

Quote:
I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Riehl
United States
Eau Claire
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are 15 cards with only one copy. The only one of these I think you'd really want 3 copies of is Unexpected Courage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Ramundi
Canada
Cornwall
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
camipco wrote:
There are 15 cards with only one copy. The only one of these I think you'd really want 3 copies of is Unexpected Courage.
Correction, there are only 13 player cards of which there is only one copy in the core set.

Beorn
Beorn's Hospitality
Brok Ironfist
Celebrian's Stone
Dark Knowledge
Dwarven Tomb
Fortune or Fate
Grim Resolve
Henamarth Riversong
Horn of Gondor
Stand Together
Swift Strike
Unexpected Courage
http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/647654/card-checklist

Personally I could see the use of many more multiples of these than just Unexpected Courage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.