Popular Tags: [View All]
chearns
Canada
Montréal
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

I'm looking for Civilization building games without the option of war between the players.

Games that come to mind are Roll Through the Ages: The Bronze Age and Pocket Civ.

Are there others?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Thompson
United States
Homewood
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Through the Ages: A Story of Civilization

This has a variant where there is no War. However there is always some conflict with colonization, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Lacombe
Louisiana
msg tools
badge
Suddenly a shot rang out! A door slammed. The maid screamed. Suddenly a pirate ship appeared on the horizon! While millions of people were starving, the king lived in luxury. Meanwhile, on a small farm in Kansas, a boy was growing up.
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess the million-dollar question is what would make it count as a "civ" game to you?

Antiquity and Roads & Boats could go a long way to providing a non-war civ experience.

Catan: Cities & Knights has, some argue, a lot of civ flavor; no war, but robbers / attack cards.

Race for the Galaxy, Glory to Rome, and 7 Wonders have war-ish things, but not between players.

I'm not convinced Through The Ages would be unplayable without the aggression / war cards.

There are plenty of other reasons to have military strength to maintain a level of interest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Lacombe
Louisiana
msg tools
badge
Suddenly a shot rang out! A door slammed. The maid screamed. Suddenly a pirate ship appeared on the horizon! While millions of people were starving, the king lived in luxury. Meanwhile, on a small farm in Kansas, a boy was growing up.
mbmbmbmbmb
La Città is an oddball of a game, where you're "fighting" over population... but it's not so much war as migration.

Peloponnes I know almost nothing about, but am pretty sure it is at least "no war", if not a civ game.

Phoenicia is a godawful game in the Outpost series, that has a "civ" theme if not real civ play.

Uruk: Wiege der Zivilisation is another I know nothing about, but have had my eye on, that I think fits.

Ur: 1830 BC is an 18xx-ish game about irrigating farmland along the Tigris and Euphrates; maybe that fits, sort of?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas Damron
United States
Danville
West Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Inca Empire is a civ game where you are all leaders within the same civilization. There is no combat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Garnica
United States
West Covina
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Peloponnes. I can confirm that there is no direct war between players. other things it has going for it is that it can support 1-5 players and playes within an hour. Even the solo version has "levels" of difficulty. Fun little civ lite game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ludlow
United States
Saint Louis Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tompy wrote:

This has a variant where there is no War. However there is always some conflict with colonization, etc.

Be warned though that the threat of war is what makes this game interesting to begin with. The existence of war cards balances out some otherwise run-away culture engines. TtA sans-beatings may not be an interesting game to you despite meeting your stated criteria.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
jdludlow wrote:
Tompy wrote:

Be warned though that the threat of war is what makes this game interesting to begin with. The existence of war cards balances out some otherwise run-away culture engines. TtA sans-beatings may not be an interesting game to you despite meeting your stated criteria.

QFT
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chearns
Canada
Montréal
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
NateStraight wrote:
I guess the million-dollar question is what would make it count as a "civ" game to you?

I think my standards are pretty loose with this one. Building up a civilization would count. Heck, if someone wanted to argue that Ra was a Civ game I'd be fine with that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Lacombe
Louisiana
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chearns wrote:
NateStraight wrote:

I think my standards are pretty loose with this one. Building up a civilization would count. Heck, if someone wanted to argue that Ra was a Civ game I'd be fine with that.

It'd be a more convincing argument than the argument that Ra is an auction game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chearns
Canada
Montréal
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jeff, Nate, James, and MWChapel,

thanks for your recommendations and warnings regarding Through the Ages, I'll keep it in mind.

Nate,

you are your Splotters. I admit that Antiquity is already on my want list, but I also admit, to myself at least, that unless something really weird happens, I will never own a Splotter.

Also, you'll be happy to know that I got a super-deal on SoZ, so I went in that direction instead of waiting for Outpost or getting Phoenicia.

For me, the phase where you check the strength of your armies against that of your neighbours for Victory Points counts as war in 7 Wonders.

Uruk is a good call. Seems quite interesting.

Race and Glory might qualify, I don't know, although unless I can get a well graphically designed Glory it is out of the question.

I will look into La Citta and UR 18xx.

Nate and Kevin,

I will look into this Peloponnes thing. Thanks.

Douglas,

Inca Empire sounds promising. Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Lacombe
Louisiana
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chearns wrote:
Nate,

you are your Splotters. I admit that Antiquity is already on my want list, but I also admit, to myself at least, that unless something really weird happens, I will never own a Splotter.

Understandable, but watch out! UR 1830 is a Splotter title, too!

Quote:
For me, the phase where you check the strength of your armies against that of your neighbours for Victory Points counts as war in 7 Wonders.

Because of the "strength" comparison [thematically], or because of the -1 VP loss? Something else entirely?

There are a lot of games with majority bonuses, so it can't just be the comparison [divorced from theme], right?

If it's the thematic strength comparing, than TTA will definitely not work, even without the aggression / war cards.

If it's the loss, than TTA is probably still out [sorry if you saw the pre-edit]; some events penalize the weaker player.

Quote:
I will look into La Citta and UR 18xx.

Watch out for UR... it's a monster-long game and may be distasteful on that account.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chearns
Canada
Montréal
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
NateStraight wrote:
Because of the "strength" comparison [thematically], or because of the -1 VP loss? Something else entirely?

It's how I interpret why two nations are comparing their military power. I admit, if they weren't military points with the crossed swords, but culture points with, I don't know, books and televisions, I wouldn't consider that war, I would just think you were getting points for being more sophisticated in some kind of spread of culture thing (kind of like how McDonalds ends up in every country on Earth (how do Americans feel about being associated with things like McDonalds? Is McDonalds a source of pride in the US?)).

So yeah, for me, it's an incredibly abstract way to view war, just compare military strengths and the one who is stronger gets points (I didn't even remember that the loser lost points), but for me it still qualifies as war. Loose on Civ, strict on war. That's CS for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas Damron
United States
Danville
West Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chearns wrote:
Douglas,

Inca Empire sounds promising. Thanks

NP. The idea is that you and your fellow "governors" (I made that up just now) are building roads throughout undeveloped country. You'll conquer natives and build up cities, garrisons, and temples using what resources you have. All of this effort is to impress the head honcho with how you've developed your part of the empire when he comes around every so often.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Boykin
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
For BJ.....
mb
Civ games without war is like a dinner without garlic.

I mean, it can be done. But why?

Darilian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Hall
United Kingdom
Yate
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If your definition of a civ game is as loose as that then you should definitely check out Ad Astra. It has a civ feel in that you're exploring the galaxy, building up infrastructure on your planets, etc. and there is no fighting involved at all. It's like a 4X space game with the eXterminate option removed. I really enjoy it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Lui
United States
Somerville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
If Glory to Rome might qualify, then Innovation certainly does. However, given that you have explicitly stated that you do not want a game with war, if it is the direct-conflict "take that!" element that you dislike, then you should be forewarned that there is plenty of "take that" in Innovation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Lui
United States
Somerville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Darilian wrote:
Civ games without war is like a dinner without garlic.

I mean, it can be done. But why?

Darilian

Sometimes, the best way of winning a war is to avoid having to fight an explicit one in the first place. There are plenty of sublime games without direct conflict. :ninja:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Lacombe
Louisiana
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hiahQ wrote:
If Glory to Rome might qualify, then Innovation certainly does. However, given that you have explicitly stated that you do not want a game with war, if it is the direct-conflict "take that!" element that you dislike, then you should be forewarned that there is plenty of "take that" in Innovation.

Innovation has gunpowder, explosives, and nuclear bombs... ehh....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Muscat
United States
Quincy
California
flag msg tools
I like geese
mbmbmbmbmb

Origins: How We Became Human

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.