Kenny VenOsdel
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only played a few games (all 3 player) so far but there is a pattern I see emerging, or at least think I see.

In the games I have played we tend to buy two route licenses as often as possible. Let's face it, it feels good to buy more, especially when you are running your majority stock higher up the score chart. I am no longer convinced that this is a great strategy though.

At the beginning of the game the person in first for any given stock does not gain a lot of ground points wise by getting the marker up higher. They gain only one point over second/third place every other time the marker reaches a new threshold. I realize that with 4 or 5 players this will be different since 4/5 hit a maximum point amount fairly early.

What I've seen is that a more efficient way to get points is to gain majority holdings rather than to try and make your majority holdings more valuable. The only way to do this is to get more stock. Since you always only take 1 stock, even when buying 2 licenses, it strikes me that it is often more efficient to buy only 1 route license so that you can use more actions to get stock (you'll have money left over for the next round).

Of course this is all relative to game position, majorities, etc but it was something I've overlooked so far and want to explore more. Rather than the attitude of buy as much as I can for the airlines I control I am going to try a more moderate approach, not focusing on making a high value airline, but rather holding majorities in more airlines.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Cooper
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I was actually going to do a thread about this soon. I see only a few times that building twice is actually helpful. If you're building twice you aren't getting as much stock as you'd like. It also probably means you are taking $8M as your action too often. I agree with your assessment, that getting more stock is usually better than pushing your one company to the top.

Edit: I've never played with less than 4, and usually it's with 6, and what you're seeing is similar to what we see.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Smiles
United States
Dedham
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
admin
The ratio of people to cake is too big.
badge
Excuse me, I believe you have my stapler...
mbmbmbmbmb
monkeyboy157 wrote:
I was actually going to do a thread about this soon.

Edit: I've never played with less than 4, and usually it's with 6, and what you're seeing is similar to what we see.

If you're going to be posting strategy articles, I'd make it very clear that the game is designed for up to 5 players and you're playing with mostly with 6.

You might even consider putting them in the variant's section and not in strategy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Cooper
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
asmiles wrote:
monkeyboy157 wrote:
I was actually going to do a thread about this soon.

If you're going to be posting strategy articles, I'd make it very clear that the game is designed for up to 5 players and you're playing with mostly with 6.

You might even consider putting them in the variant's section and not in strategy.

I've had enough games with 4 and 5 that I think it should be fine. The only reason we actually played with 6 was because it was suggested to try it out and report back how it went. I have mentioned some things in that thread, but I wouldn't put anything specific to that in a strategy article.

On that same line, 6 actually works pretty much the same as 5. You just see slightly lower scores. The game itself doesn't feel any different to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Thompson
United States
Marion
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it has to do with the lack of blocking on the board. If you remove some routes from the board to play a tighter game, you'll have an incentive of buying two routes just to clear a path in the future for yourself, or to make a bonus connection, before you're cut off.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.