Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Will someone please tell me where I can find wooden money (a la 7 Wonders first edition) to replace these infernal plastic tiddly winks? I swear, when I see these, I want to stomp the hell out of them. Can you just charge us an extra $5 and throw in wooden money instead of making people shell out for the LIMITED EDITION? Whaddya say, Martin? Bad enough that I already feel like I am getting taken to the cleaners for the expansion maps - $30 - ouch. Anyone know where I can go to replace these most awful plastic coins?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Waltier
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was going to do the same thing. I have little interest in playing 7 Wonders again, but I'm looking forward to several more plays of Age of Industry. I guess I'll have to switch the coin bags.

As for others who may be looking to do this, I'm not sure. Nice, heavy poker chips would work except they may be too large for the spent boxes on the board.

Any other ideas out there?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Bennett
United States
Newton
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
Why did the painter paint the wall for free? Because it was on the house.
mbmbmbmbmb
I use standard sized poker chips for money in AoI. They are only slightly bigger than the boxes on the board, and work just fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm sure poker chips would work fine in a practical sense, but I am particular about my money in games. I wanted the wooden money as a replacement since it looks very similar. Anyone have any ideas that don't involve me pulling my 7 Wonders money out all of the time?

-Jack

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Walter
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Make your own?

For wooden disks, either buy a dowel rod from a hardware/craft store in whatever diameters you want and cut slices like a loaf of bread. Alternatively, Casey's wood products ( http://www.caseyswood.com/ ) sells wooden disks in various sizes. I've bought from them, but I'm sure there are other places on the web, if you look.

Gold & silver acrylic paint and finish can be bought at craft stores in 2 oz bottles.

With waxed paper, a brush and some time, you can make some nice disks.

-Richard

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark G.
United States
Holland
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You could try contacting Treefrog directly. Perhaps they have some extra components they'd be willing to sell. Shipping might be prohibitively expensive, however.

Edit: I guess if I had read the OP more closely I would have come to the conclusion that this idea would be too expensive. Treefrog used the same wooden money in both the AoI and London limited editions. Maybe someone with both would not mind selling the wooden money from one the games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rw2e wrote:
Make your own?

For wooden disks, either buy a dowel rod from a hardware/craft store in whatever diameters you want and cut slices like a loaf of bread. Alternatively, Casey's wood products ( http://www.caseyswood.com/ ) sells wooden disks in various sizes. I've bought from them, but I'm sure there are other places on the web, if you look.

Gold & silver acrylic paint and finish can be bought at craft stores in 2 oz bottles.

With waxed paper, a brush and some time, you can make some nice disks.

-Richard

I'm not really interested in the DIY method.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MidLifeDelta wrote:
You could try contacting Treefrog directly.

I think I will check into this. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Grant
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
More Yellow
badge
Great Wall of China
mbmbmbmbmb
Spielmaterial.de has wooden discs of various sizes in yellow and grey. I couldn't find silver and gold, however.

http://www.spielmaterial.de/english4/start.php?pawns___other...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks. Those look like a good alternative if Treefrog doesn't come through.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Büttner-Zimmermann
Germany
München
Bavaria
flag msg tools
badge
Wiggle It!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I mailed Mayday Games on this topic, since they produce all kinds of generic wooden meeples. They replied, that they have something like that in the pipeline... :-)

Also, there are "Dubloons" for sale at Spielmaterial.de. Yes, they are plastic, but very good to grip. We like them in our LONDON game...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Grant
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
More Yellow
badge
Great Wall of China
mbmbmbmbmb
Eagle Games also sell the plastic money from Age of Empires III. They look nice but do not stack at all well.

http://www.eaglegames.net/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=TRP...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Brownsill
United Kingdom
Milton Keynes
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
senorcoo wrote:
Bad enough that I already feel like I am getting taken to the cleaners for the expansion maps - $30 - ouch.

I look forward to seeing your alternative maps with new rules tweaks and mechanics, printed and on mounted boards, and shipped internationally for less than $30. whistle

Please do let us know when they're ready
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Almecho wrote:
I mailed Mayday Games on this topic, since they produce all kinds of generic wooden meeples. They replied, that they have something like that in the pipeline... :-)

Did they happen to give you a timeline?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Izak Marais
South Africa
Stellenbosch
Western cape
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I know it is not quite what you are looking for, but I can confirm that the speed of play has increased dramatically since we swapped out the fiddly plastic money for heavier, stackable (unmarked) poker chips.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
izakmarais wrote:
I know it is not quite what you are looking for, but I can confirm that the speed of play has increased dramatically since we swapped out the fiddly plastic money for heavier, stackable (unmarked) poker chips.

You are right. That wasn't what I was looking for.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
senorcoo wrote:
izakmarais wrote:

You are right. That wasn't what I was looking for. ;)

Try this then. The limited edition stuff isn't just about being a couple of dollars more expensive, it's that Treefrog don't split the money for the games with distributors or retailers. SO they add a few extras to sweeten this.

B>

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok. I understand that, but it doesn't help me now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
senorcoo wrote:
Ok. I understand that, but it doesn't help me now.

An interesting question is whether other limited editions (London) come with enough wooden money to make up the amount you need.

It's also worth noting that horrid plastic tiddlywinks are practically a warfrog tradition at this point.

B>

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thepackrat wrote:
[q="senorcoo"]It's also worth noting that horrid plastic tiddlywinks are practically a warfrog tradition at this point.

B>

Don't remind me. shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.