Subject: The Four Relics of Power rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Uwe Heilmann
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hi from Germany,

what follows is a replay of a scenario based on the strategic/operational WIZARD KINGS game system.

Orc Council at Langara, Orc Castle Zenturion.
Tribe Chief De-Sas-Ter addressing his staff: "It is fact now. The four relics of power were hidden within this province right under our noses a very long time ago. We cannot retrieve them. But we have to protect them from the witches of the Undead army. At all costs. Or this province - like so many others before - will fall and the d... witches succeed again.
Let's take a look at our forces."

"As our mighty Tribe Chief council has decided, our few gold pieces allowed us to raise this army."

"The relics are located in four of our towns. Strong forces must be there."

"West of us is the neutral zone around the Jabari Desert. The cities there are occupied by those stupid humans defying our domination."

De-Sas-Ter showed his staff a crude map. "This is for your foul ears and eyes only. The current deployment of our forces."

"To improve our troops' effectiveness, I ordered three corps to be built."

"Here - my ugly friends - is the currently known position of our most detestable enemy ... the Army of the Undead, led by five most disgusting witches."

"Here is my plan: ..."

... to be continued.

Cheers
U.L.H.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Uwe Heilmann
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Part II

"... I, tribe chief of the Bone Breaker Orcs, will build a corps 15 regiments strong, then advance and take Limona, deep in the realm of the witches.
You - my trusted subordinates will conquer as many Feudal cities as possible. Hold them!
Finally, the Undead army will be crushed by my large corps."

The outlooks in the eastern Feudal cities had to report bad news ... the Orcs were coming!
"Alarm! Alarm! Garrison soldiers! Occupy defense positions on the city walls!"

... to be continued.

Cheers
U.L.H.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Uwe Heilmann
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hi again,

I am sorry as I used the "greater than" and "less than" characters which actually blank the text between them.

Here is the additional text for the 13 pictures presented so far.

01 - Each army, leaders, wizards etc. have specific cards listing all special rules for them.

02 - This block set is worth 128 GP.

03 - The start set-up of the game has begun. Note the placed Ancient Battlefield counters.

04 - The Feudal blocks prevent a simple city conquest.

05 - ...

06 - ...

07 - The Corps blocks help keeping the game board manageable but there is also a lot of operational functionality linked to them.

08 - ...

09 - The Undead Army is quite small at start of the game but it has a chance to grow rapidly. The key is the exploitation of the Ancient Battlefields.

10 - These tracks are used to plot key data, e.g. amount of GP available, accumulated Political points, game turn, etc.

11 - This TEC covers all cases and helps to speed game play.

12 - The Orc army advances slowly towards the west.

13 - The Undead army starts to increase in numbers.

Again, sorry for that mistake.

Here is Part III.

A small force under the command of Mak-o-Mak assembled at Kasari, ready to storm the city. Note the small counters placed to mark the hex side crossings (triangle = 1 block crossed the hexside, circle = two blocks crossed the hexside).

Msk-o-Mak ordered the attack and his two regiments of orcs stormed the city walls. The Orc leader gave signal to execute a ferocious assault (his leader skill) and the attack turned into a massacre once the walls were breached. The garrison of Kasari was slaughtered, the orcs suffered few losses.

The attack was decided by 1d6 per side.

The orcs have 11 GP now.

"Very well. Let's continue with our plan."

... to be continued.

Cheers
U.L.H.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Uwe Heilmann
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Part IV

Both sides advance towards each other. The Feudal cities must pay the price.

The attack sequence (determined randomly):
01 - The 4th Orc Corps assaults Ayalta; destroys two Knights' regiments and takes the city.
02 - An Undead Army force under command of Ynjx storms the walls of Zaltan. The garrison of War Dogs is routed, a step of vampires is destroyed. One block of the victorious vampires is promoted to Angels of Death.
03 - The 2nd Orc Corps assaults Daniz (from three directions) and forces the Feudals to scuttle their 2 flotillas of Kogs.
04 - The Undead Army Corps 3 - ENESHA's Strike Force - assaults Elgara. The leading regiment of vampires annihilates the garrison (a four step Spearmen block) within seconds. A second unit of Angels of Death is now available for "the witches" and the city of Elgara experiences the presence of zombies.

The orcs now have a total of 15 GP, the Undead Army of 12 GP (they cannot use GP at all, just deny them for the enemy).

"Great news. All gold is used to strengthen our brave forces. My corps is growing. Now it is time to teach the witches a first lesson."

The opposing forces are in striking distance now.

... to be continued.

Cheers
U.L.H.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Uwe Heilmann
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Part V

Turn 04 saw the first real complex situation as both armies could now attack each other.
I buried the I-Go-Hu-Go system of the original game a long time ago.
The Movement phase uses an impulse system and the players may use intercept and evasion maneuvers.
Here you see the impulse sequence for turn 04.

Here is an example of an evasion. A small Orc force uses the opportunity to move away from an approaching enemy force (ENESHA's Strike force, the 3rd Undead Army Corps).

Note: it is also important not to leave a neutral city empty of blocks as the Feudals will be back with a new garrison.

During the last impulses of the turn, the Orcs advanced towards the smallest Undead force (using the road bonus by the way). This force could not evade anymore as it had been committed before.

After movement three hexes contain opposing forces requiring three battle executions. The sequence of combat is also determined randomly. Here is the sequence.

The first battle saw the 3rd Undead Army Corps assault Salahn. This important city was protected by a regiment of skilled bowmen and ... castle Montague. The Feudals had refit the castle ruin and turned it into a formidable fortress again.
This forced ENESHA to use all powers and skills available. She led the assault personally and witnessed a bloody fight. The bowmen were killed unit by unit and Montague's walls finally breached and the castle was destroyed again.
The second combat was the first battle in the open: Orcs under Mi-Ca-El attacked the tiny vampire force led by Mashanta. The Orcs won due to their numerical superiority, but suffered some losses. Mashanta retreated to Elgara.
The third and last combat was a four-step Vampire block assault against the Jabar Oasis. This place was defended by a regiment of bowmen. The latter were wiped out (zombies soon roamed the place) and the vampires were promoted to Angels of Death.

The situation now reflected a patchwork of forces, all eager to strike.

... to be continued.

Cheers
U.L.H.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Uwe Heilmann
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Part VI

Turn 05 saw a lot of actions. Not less than 8 combat situations had to be resolved.
Both sides aggressively tried to stop and reduce the enemy forces.

The overall results of those combats were not to De-Sas-Ter's liking.
His army lost 6 battles/assaults and won only 2; the orcs lost 2 cities and captured only 1 new one.
The "witches" won 6 battles/assaults, captured 2 new cities and lost 2 (one to the orcs and one was taken by the Feudals, as the Undead Army blocks abandoned it).

The Political Point score of the Orcs has become critical: 13. If passing 15, De-Sas-Ter will be sacked.

"Stupid bastards! You fail me all over the place. I have to come into action myself. Too early. My corps is not ready yet for the big sweep. Bastards!"

... to be continued.

Cheers
U.L.H.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Uwe Heilmann
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Part VII - Finale

Knowing the desperate situation the Orc tribe chief was in, the Undead Army pressed on. Both sides actually entered enemy territory for the first time.

The forces clashed again, five battles/assaults took place.

The fighting was grim everywhere. The decisive event was the fight for Ayalta. A small garrison of vampires defended the port. A small - too small Orc force tried to recapture the city. They were repulsed and had to retreat. But there was no way left open. The whole force was destroyed including its leader. That destroyed De-Sas-Ter's reputation as a capable leader for BIG Orc operations forever. He was called back to the Orc council ... his fate is unknown. His last recorded words: "The witches did not get any of the relics. Not one of them!"

The situation at the end of the game (after 6 turns).

The Political Point score for the Orcs that sealed their Tribe Chief's fate.

That's it.
This game session provided me some hints again to modify a few parameters of my game system. But I had a lot of fun playing the scenario. I hope you could share some of this, too.

Cheers
U.L.H.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.