Jim W
United States
wilsonville
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After several months of real life...well...taking over life, I started hearing a far off voice from the back of my mind kept calling...Jim ...Jimmmmmm...blahhh blahhhhh...you've put me away, time for a visit to my crypt..blahhh blahhhhhh blahhhhhhh. Strahd was calling to me.

Child and wife asleep I crept down stairs, opened the box and ....

I randomly selected a hero from the box...Arjhan...excellent. IMHO Arjhan is a solid hero to survive Starhd and his minions. I decided to play the 1st solo adventure just to get back into the rhythm of the game.

Arjhan started off meeting up with a ghoul a non-memorable encounter. The Ghoul swiped at Arjhan...hit with Immobilized...great (sarcasm of course)...off to a good start...not. Next turn, Arjhan vanquished the nasty ghoul and started hurrying through the dungeon...yikes! A wraith! After exchanging hits, using simple At-Will powers, Arjhan realized it was going to take a little more effort to knock out this wraith. Unfortunately Arjhan was unable to explore another room and another encounter was drawn...#!#!$...”a new monster appears”. Guess which...another wraith. This is where things, obviously, went bad. 1st Arjhan freaked by the wraith's stopped rolling hits, 2nd the wraiths where rolling nice high rolls. With Arjhan having 1 healing surge left and only one of the wraiths injured he decided to put a little distance between him and the wraith brothers. Good idea?...nope. Arjhan ran to a the next room...a skeleton appeared, no problem. Unfortunately, Arjhan again couldn't hit the side of a barn if he was 5 feet away. With the skeleton and wraith brothers slapping some major axe kicking on him...Arjhan falls. Gee...that was fun...NOT! About four tiles explored, one ghoul eliminated... and the sun clock didn't even make a click (all black arrow tiles encounters/monster events)...lame.

Looking at the clock, it's not even midnight, I guess I’ll ask for some more pain and suffering at the hands of Strahd. Brilliant.

Arjhan resurrects in Stradh's tomb, this time with a little pep talk from me (some good that did), Arjhan is ready. To make a long and tedious story a bit less tedious...I'll make it brief.

Arjhan starts out with the typical lowly minion, skeleton, spider, wolf, and, a-oh, a Gargoyle. With some luck...Arjhan distances himself from the gargoyle (it turning back to stone). Exploring further and running into a sliding wall, Arjhan comes face to face with a blazing skeleton. To keep the encounter deck untouched, Arjhan continues exploring as much as possibly, while being chased by a small herd of insignificant creatures. Arjhan for some reason has taken on a pacifist way of life and will not strike a single creature (I’ve never rolled so many numbers less than 6 on a d20 in my life). Hoping to somehow get to a fabled mysterious hidden staircase to take him out of this crazy place, Arjhan explores on. Next a kobold appears. Then, none other than one of the wraith brothers shows up for the party. Arjhan continues to run, vanquishing a few foes here and there, but otherwise being chased by a blazing skeleton, a regular skeleton, a spider, a wolf, a kobold, five roammmmming rats whistle, and a wraith in a pear tree. Next tile, just to add insult and injury to already too many injuries, an apparition of Strahd appears and hurls a fireball at Arjhan..."take that you whimp" says Strahd as the apparition dissipates. No healing surges left...probably only 2-3 tiles from the staircase...Arjhan falls to a combo attack from the skeleton, spider, and one of the wraith brothers, Arjhan's fate was guarenteed.

Pitiful. Lessons learned?..if it's late...go to bedsnore. Also, make sure you bring a Dragon Born worth his breed (or learn how to roll diceblush). None the less, for me...it was a fun event...yes..truly it was...kind of shake. I'm going back to have a word with Stradh about how he treats guest...but maybe I'll bring the cleric along next time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul S
United Kingdom
Leeds
West Yorks
flag msg tools
DARK IN HERE, ISN'T IT?
mbmbmbmbmb
Ouch. I feel your pain. When the dice aren't on your side, it's a masochist's delight.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jdw1710 wrote:
I'm going back to have a word with Stradh about how he treats guest...but maybe I'll bring the cleric along next time.

Or maybe just a better D20?

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Fred Obedoza
Philippines
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jdw1710 wrote:

A wraith! After exchanging hits, using simple At-Will powers, Arjhan realized it was going to take a little more effort to knock out this wraith. Unfortunately Arjhan was unable to explore another room and another encounter was drawn...#!#!$...”a new monster appears”. Guess which...another wraith. This is where things, obviously, went bad. 1st Arjhan freaked by the wraith's stopped rolling hits, 2nd the wraiths where rolling nice high rolls.

shake

jdw1710 wrote:

Arjhan continues to run, vanquishing a few foes here and there, but otherwise being chased by a blazing skeleton, a regular skeleton, a spider, a wolf, a kobold, five roammmmming rats whistle, and a wraith in a pear tree.
shake

Maybe you're playing the game wrong ... a player's not supposed to get a monster if he already controls a copy of that monster.

And don't forget to draw a treasure card after defeating a monster (limit to one per turn).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
yamasaki wrote:
Maybe you're playing the game wrong ... a player's not supposed to get a monster if he already controls a copy of that monster.

Maybe Arjhun was King Arthur in a previous life!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
LIFEFORM - LATE PLEDGE NOW!!!
badge
LIFEFORM - LATE PLEDGE NOW!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Or maybe he was playing by the much cooler and more thematic solo hero rules where you can have as many of one type of monster as you like, since they all activate during your villain phase anyway? whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Since there are only 3 of every type of monster, he couldn't have had 5 rats. I do believe he was just mocking the 12 Days of Christmas song

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim W
United States
wilsonville
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
yamasaki wrote:
[q="jdw1710"]

And don't forget to draw a treasure card after defeating a monster (limit to one per turn).

Whoops! You're correct. I shouldn't have had more than one wraith on the board. Oh well as Ninja Dorg said...I was playing the cooler, more painful, "I like to lose" version of CR. LOL. Points for shnar also; yes, that was my lame rendition of 12 days of Xmas, because I was being chased by nearly 12 creatures around the board, however it was just one rat monster miniature (several rats shown on the miniature). Thanks for the fun feedback and clarifications.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Markham
United States
Saint Petersburg
Florida
flag msg tools
I have to say, that I was expecting to have to come up with some house rules, but playing it as is, with 2 players (we playtest it before playing it with friends), it was well-balanced. We completed the first adventure each with a couple of hit points left, but we made it.

It may not scratch the D&D itch quite as much as Descent, but it's pretty close, and it's a great way to get my fellow gamers used to some of the 4th Edition rules, when I slowly try and get them to convert to it...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.