Subject: First time Vikings experience rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dustin Larsen
United States
Santa Clara
Utah
flag msg tools
I had such great plans for this OverText, but then I forgot what they were...
badge
This is a fearsome fisherman viking.
mbmbmbmbmb
For game night this week we played Vikings, which our friends Wesley and Sarah had brought. They had brought the game over once before, but we ended up playing different games that time. Despite a childhood love of vikings, I profess I wasn't excited by the generic title and box design. However, once I read this review I became very interested in playing, so I requested our friends bring it over again.

This was the first time my wife and I had played the game, and the first time Sarah and Wesley had played in a 4-player game. The first thing I noticed out of the box was how durable and beautiful the components were - I have to say that while I know no real vikings ever wore horned helms I really love the adorable horned meeples.

Other people have mentioned how long it takes to learn the game from the rulebook, but fortunately we had someone who knew the rules and could explain them quickly and easily. My wife ended up going first, and immediately bought the lone goldsmith. She then proceeded to acquire another goldsmith on the next turn, and then a third. Suffice it to say she had no need for money during this game. She also ended up with 5 nobles; they must have been following the gold. The rest of us tended to just buy whatever was reasonably priced that would get us a viking or island piece we needed.

The final scoring was close, but Sarah ended up winning the game, seemingly due to a combination of nobles and blocked ships. I was the only one who had any oversupplied vikings, but it wasn't enough to take the lead.

I really enjoyed the game, and I could see myself playing it many more times before even wanting to play the advanced version.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Железный комиссар
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Transmuter wrote:

I really enjoyed the game, and I could see myself playing it many more times before even wanting to play the advanced version.

I played it about 10 times before moving on to the advanced version. I prefer using the special tiles, but I certainly had fun with those earlier games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan C
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just bought this one a couple of months ago and agree that it is quite a gem.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Bosca
United States
Royal Oak
Michigan
flag msg tools
resist.
badge
Eternity, said Frankie Lee with a voice as cold as ice; That's right, said Judas Priest, eternity, though you might call it paradise...
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnRayJr wrote:
Transmuter wrote:

I played it about 10 times before moving on to the advanced version. I prefer using the special tiles, but I certainly had fun with those earlier games.

auction rules as well?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Железный комиссар
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
blakstar wrote:
JohnRayJr wrote:
Transmuter wrote:

auction rules as well?

I have played Vikings over 40 times and have never used the auction rules. I can't imagine that I ever will. I see the theoretical gain, but the practical cost in playtime and pacing outweighs it totally in my mind.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Bosca
United States
Royal Oak
Michigan
flag msg tools
resist.
badge
Eternity, said Frankie Lee with a voice as cold as ice; That's right, said Judas Priest, eternity, though you might call it paradise...
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnRayJr wrote:
blakstar wrote:
JohnRayJr wrote:
Transmuter wrote:

auction rules as well?

I have played Vikings over 40 times and have never used the auction rules. I can't imagine that I ever will. I see the theoretical gain, but the practical cost in playtime and pacing outweighs it totally in my mind.

hmmm... maybe we're speed bidders. haha.

isn't money really "loose" compared to the base rules when not including that phase? especially considering the goldsmith "pumpers"? i think i'd miss the crucial decision and tension... idk, give it a shot sometime!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Железный комиссар
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
blakstar wrote:
JohnRayJr wrote:
blakstar wrote:
JohnRayJr wrote:
Transmuter wrote:

auction rules as well?

hmmm... maybe we're speed bidders. haha.

isn't money really "loose" compared to the base rules when not including that phase? especially considering the goldsmith "pumpers"? i think i'd miss the crucial decision and tension... idk, give it a shot sometime!

Money is never really loose in vikings because for gold-heavy strategies it equates to endgame points.

I might try it out sometime. It's just hard for me to imagine us sitting there, figuring out the implications this order of meeples vs. that order.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Bosca
United States
Royal Oak
Michigan
flag msg tools
resist.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
the order of operations is a little counter-intuitive. answer=notecard. i was sick of looking in the damn book. :0)

our games generally end with little money. a few points a piece unless someone is aiming for the "on-the-cheap" strategy. the decision about which to toss seems so impactful i'd have a hard time giving that up now. it's a tricky bid though, because the equity can sometimes be difficult to comprehend, but you always have to make sure someone pays for it. :0)

maybe i should take your advice and play without the auction so i can better estimate the value of the decision.

the toss, ordering of meeps and extra expenditure seems to very much suit my gaming needs. the pre-set order seems cheap.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We don't do the auctions, just rotate turn order, but we do play and really like the placing meeple part of the Progress version rules. Much more interesting to choose which colours go on which islands or ships, than having the set order each turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Bosca
United States
Royal Oak
Michigan
flag msg tools
resist.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
UnknownParkerBrother wrote:
We don't do the auctions, just rotate turn order, but we do play and really like the placing meeple part of the Progress version rules. Much more interesting to choose which colours go on which islands or ships, than having the set order each turn.

That's interesting. The ol' hybrid approach. :0) We do this with a lot of proposed variants (not variants with this game in particular, but your writings on the 2P variant for London were quite useful. we use the Ben/Luca variant for all our 2P games now and like it tons. thanks!)

But as far as the impact of not using the auction to begin new rounds in Vikings, I get the idea that money can't really be "loose" in this game because $=VP's, but it isn't quite as cut and dry as that. I'm not very familiar with intense economic games/principles, but when creating your "money machine" the "parts" have a set price that is not relative(?) to the amount of money one holds. So the money is in fact "looser". Due to inflation of the money supply the prices for the "parts" are now skewed when including the progress tiles and not the extra expenditure. I'm not saying the game is any better or worse because of it, just rather that the market values are off. no?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dariusz Kaminski
Poland
Szamotuły
flag msg tools
badge
"Fools talk, cowards are silent, wise men listen."
mbmbmbmbmb
I played it last weekend for the first time also. The game is nice but I am disappointed with one thing. I thought I'll be viking in this game but in my opinion I was just a settler defending against vikings on the ships.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Bosca
United States
Royal Oak
Michigan
flag msg tools
resist.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kamieniak wrote:
I played it last weekend for the first time also. The game is nice but I am disappointed with one thing. I thought I'll be viking in this game but in my opinion I was just a settler defending against vikings on the ships.

try your hand at game design.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wolfram Troeder
Germany
Bruchkoebel
Hessen
flag msg tools
Boardgaming is not a matter of life or death...
badge
...it's much more important than that!
mbmbmbmbmb
Kamieniak wrote:

Vikings or "Norse men" were settlers, fishers, craftsmen, merchants...
Only a small part of the population went viking, and true also to fellow norsemen.

Too bad, the box art is for sales and not for historic science
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Bosca
United States
Royal Oak
Michigan
flag msg tools
resist.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
The very first time we played the progress version it was two-player. We used auctions, and during the second or third round, both of us were flat broke and backed up to the Zero on the points track. So yeah, money felt incredibly tight.

(But by the end of the game, my opponent had circled the scoreboard twice and ended with an amazingly huge score. It was wild.)

you know only goldsmiths score during the small scoring rounds right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
blakstar wrote:
you know only goldsmiths score during the small scoring rounds right?

Yeah, that would be around 40 points in each of the 3 scorings, seems way too high.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronn Jeffery

Provo
Utah
msg tools
I have to throw this in because of your last comment--my wife and I have owned this game for nearly a year, and have played it countless times (and shared it with others). We typically play a new game a few times, and then try out some house rules after a little while. We just barely played Vikings with the advanced rules for the first time last week; it's such a great game we never cared to try changing it up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.