Drew Chappell
United States
Fullerton
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello,

So after reading the kindly provided rules, I'm wondering about whether players can continue to take the move Enterprise/attack with Enterprise action if the Klingon ship is destroyed. I'm assuming this is an option, since it would be the only way the Enterprise could land on the 7 space?

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Kinsella
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, as you said it's the only way to get to the farthest right location. It's very difficult to pull off, especially on the harder settings.

- Bryan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Maurer
msg tools
I disagree. Even though this would be the only way to get to the farthest right location, the Enterprise is not able to reach it. The rules backing up this claim are the following:
1) On p. 18 under "Starship destruction" it says that "if the Klingon Battle Cruiser is destroyed, it is removed from the board and there are no more strahip battles for the rest of the game". The only way to move the Enterprise is by choosing the action "Enterprise Attacks", which from that moment on is no possible action anymore.
2) Furthermore, on p. 12 under "Enterprise Attacks" it says "Move the Enterprise figure one space on the Orbit Track toward the Klingon ship (...)". Cleary, if there is no Klingon ship, we cannot move the Enterprise towards it. This enforces the impossibility of choosing this action.

To my mind (and this is just my interpretation) the "+7" field only exists because it is needed when the Enterprise is on the "+6" field and the Klingon ship is still on the board. (The Klingon ship has to be placed somewhere, and the "+7" field is the only option.) Consequently, the "+7" label could have been omitted, but not the field itself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Maurer
msg tools
Actually, there might even be a way to reach the +7 field for the Enterprise, namely by destroying the Klingon ship when sittig on +6 and meeting the condition for "full power to phasers". Then, the Klingon ship would be removed and the Enterprise could move one field to the right.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Beaver
United States
North Fork
California
flag msg tools
mb
candamir26 wrote:
I disagree. Even though this would be the only way to get to the farthest right location, the Enterprise is not able to reach it. The rules backing up this claim are the following:
1) On p. 18 under "Starship destruction" it says that "if the Klingon Battle Cruiser is destroyed, it is removed from the board and there are no more strahip battles for the rest of the game". The only way to move the Enterprise is by choosing the action "Enterprise Attacks", which from that moment on is no possible action anymore.
2) Furthermore, on p. 12 under "Enterprise Attacks" it says "Move the Enterprise figure one space on the Orbit Track toward the Klingon ship (...)". Cleary, if there is no Klingon ship, we cannot move the Enterprise towards it. This enforces the impossibility of choosing this action.

To my mind (and this is just my interpretation) the "+7" field only exists because it is needed when the Enterprise is on the "+6" field and the Klingon ship is still on the board. (The Klingon ship has to be placed somewhere, and the "+7" field is the only option.) Consequently, the "+7" label could have been omitted, but not the field itself.

i agree with this statement above but since it's been stated that you can, so you can. i believe there are two clauses to the Starship Destruction entry and how Enterprise Attacks! works to move the Enterprise forward:

1) Enterprise Attacks! allows you to move forward and engage in a starship battle. There's a Cruiser? Great, let's fight!

2) Enterprise Attacks! allows you to move forward and engage in a starship battle. But there's no Cruiser? You just move forward.

This is due to:

"If you use an Enterprise Attacks! action to move the Enterprise forward" entry BEFORE the "there will be a starship battle." Since, you move forward first, you then check if there's a battle. There isn't, so you just move forward.

candamir26 wrote:
Actually, there might even be a way to reach the +7 field for the Enterprise, namely by destroying the Klingon ship when sittig on +6 and meeting the condition for "full power to phasers". Then, the Klingon ship would be removed and the Enterprise could move one field to the right.

or this ^

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Reed
United States
Saratoga Springs
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
aguynamedbry wrote:
Yes, as you said it's the only way to get to the farthest right location. It's very difficult to pull off, especially on the harder settings.

- Bryan

Not according to Reiner Knizia as discussed in this thread.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.