United States
Pleasantville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Is it just me or do my balls itch?
mbmbmbmbmb
...no, no, no, no... he's outside looking in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Boykin
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
For BJ.....
mb
Whatever are you going to do without DW Tripp to riff off of, Pronoblem?

whistle

Darilian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Steak Fairy
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Games? People still play games??
badge
Specious arguments are not proof of trollish intent.
mbmbmbmbmb
"In a startling discovery made today by top scientists at the Death Institute of Chicago, Osama bin Laden was discovered to have actually been the same person as Elisabeth Sladen. We will have more on this story as it develops. Now, for the weather: Anthropogenic Global Warming is killing us all. Good night, and have a pleasant slow, painful extinction." --Horrifically Fake News
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc P
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Gloomhaven is a great niche game
mbmbmbmbmb
She was such a treasure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pronoblem baalberith
United States
Pleasantville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Is it just me or do my balls itch?
mbmbmbmbmb
Darilian wrote:
Whatever are you going to do without DW Tripp to riff off of, Pronoblem?

I detect sarcasm but just in case you are serious I am pretty certain that I have contributed here plenty where it is not at all in response to that dude. When it is a thread where he's involved my contribution has been no more than the rubbernecking you see at a horrific train-wreck or stoking the absurdity.

He's gone?? Or is he banned from RSP only? I had not noticed... I looked, I searched... no threads indicate that he took his ball and left and he's posted both here and elsewhere recently (May 2nd???). He's still here. I only read here every couple weeks. If something changed here in the past few days / hours I am not aware. (and, most likely, that is not meaningful) Whatever do you mean?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Boykin
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
For BJ.....
mb
Man, you have been off the bandwidth. My apologies.

Tripp isn't posting in RSP anymore.

Darilian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Boykin
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
For BJ.....
mb
Drew1365 wrote:
Darilian wrote:

Darilian

Tripp isn't posting at all anymore. Tripp got suspended for two months for this. And I suspect he won't come back even after his time is up.

They suspended him for that??? Incredibly lame.

Darilian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I see you...
United States
Avon
Ohio
flag msg tools
"I made a promise on the grave of my parents...
badge
...that I would rid this city of the evil that took their lives. "
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
Darilian wrote:

Darilian

Tripp isn't posting at all anymore. Tripp got suspended for two months for this. And I suspect he won't come back even after his time is up.

Two months for that. How is that suspension worthy?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Boykin
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
For BJ.....
mb
Well, its not the individual violation that sets the amount of time. Its where you are in the 'violation queue'. Each violation gets worse.

It's not that DW got 2 months for that that kinda bugs me. Its that that was considered to be a violation in the first place.

That...kinda pisses me off.

Darilian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lotus dweller
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
Darilian wrote:
Well, its not the individual violation that sets the amount of time. Its where you are in the 'violation queue'. Each violation gets worse.

It's not that DW got 2 months for that that kinda bugs me. Its that that was considered to be a violation in the first place.

Darilian
Yowsas! - what was that URL I was after agin?

Its feelin' real chilly in here.

This banning must be an urban myth.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
Darilian wrote:
Drew1365 wrote:
Darilian wrote:

Darilian

Darilian

Yeah, I mean that didn't even seem red-x-worthy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
Darilian wrote:

Darilian

THAT got a suspension? Good lord, I can easily see why Tripp sometimes felt as though there was a big, red, admin bullseye on his back. That's ridiculous if indeed he got suspended for that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Seguin
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Darilian wrote:

Darilian

You know, even if someone didn't necessarily agree with Tripp, his screeds were crazy fun to read. I miss his postings as much as anything. Getting banned for any length of time for ranting about a well-trained dog taking out a cyclist is really stupid. My guess is he was banned because certain other unnamed people were just looking for a reason to get him to stop posting FOREVER.

I guess it is proof positive that the forum moderators are about as "Fair and Balanced" as Fox News.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Seguin
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
whac3 wrote:
Darilian wrote:
Drew1365 wrote:
Darilian wrote:

Darilian

Darilian

Yeah, I mean that didn't even seem red-x-worthy.

Yeah, but if those who hated him thought it "red-x-worthy", then that is probably all it took. I guess some people didn't take to kindly to the phrase "dumb f***ing cyclist". Or maybe it was his commentary on "moronic looking Lycra clothing" that did it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lotus dweller
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
Drew, how certain are you that the cyclist post resulted in a ban for Tripp?

If you are totally certain - why are you totally certain?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Hawaii
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've got the toilet paper badge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Loblah
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
mb
Drew1365 wrote:
Yes, but even the stupid suspensions add up. Give someone a bunch of stupid suspensions, and they may just shrug off the short-term ones, but suddenly all those stupid suspensions mean that your next one is for quite a long time. I am probably up to two weeks next, but the things I've been suspended for are stupider than Tripp's up there.

chrisnd wrote:
Yeah, but if those who hated him thought it "red-x-worthy", then that is probably all it took.

I have my threshold set to the lowest, and his post is still there. I am assuming nobody X-ed it.

How the heck did that post result in a ban regardless of whether or not someone X-ed it? It seems so innocuous compared to some of the other stuff Tripp has written...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bobloblah wrote:
Drew1365 wrote:
Yes, but even the stupid suspensions add up. Give someone a bunch of stupid suspensions, and they may just shrug off the short-term ones, but suddenly all those stupid suspensions mean that your next one is for quite a long time. I am probably up to two weeks next, but the things I've been suspended for are stupider than Tripp's up there.

chrisnd wrote:
Yeah, but if those who hated him thought it "red-x-worthy", then that is probably all it took.

I have my threshold set to the lowest, and his post is still there. I am assuming nobody X-ed it.

How the heck did that post result in a ban regardless of whether or not someone X-ed it? It seems so innocuous compared to some of the other stuff Tripp has written...

My guess is that because it was outside RSP, where people have thinner skin, it was flagged. Others get fearful of RSP when threads get moved there.

I'd bet if Michael Barnes posted in RSP, he'd still be at BGG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Born To Lose, Live To Win
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Metal Undivided, Chaos For All
mbmbmbmbmb
Bobloblah wrote:

Well, I don't think that the powers that be want to use Tripp's worst posts as a baseline.

To be fair, he was not-so-passive aggressively calling the OP "dumb", which is technically a personal attack. With a contentious history like his, he probably has been put on zero-tolerance, so even replying to an incendiary OP with a minor amount of vitriol will get him a step up on the disciplinary ladder.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Seguin
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TheChin! wrote:
Bobloblah wrote:

Well, I don't think that the powers that be want to use Tripp's worst posts as a baseline.

To be fair, he was not-so-passive aggressively calling the OP "dumb", which is technically a personal attack. With a contentious history like his, he probably has been put on zero-tolerance, so even replying to an incendiary OP with a minor amount of vitriol will get him a step up on the disciplinary ladder.

Which is proof positive that the Forum Moderator most likely responsible for this was not really doing his job, but instead using his power to fulfill his own personal vendetta against Tripp. Had it been anyone else that started that thread, and Tripp had said the exact same thing, it (probably) would have been all taken in stride as typical Tripp banter (i.e. with a grain of salt).

On the other hand, I have been banned for calling someone "naive" and thinking that they had just crawled out from living under their rock (which although Geico thinks is kind of funny, BGG Moderators do not), so maybe Tripp's "phraseology" wasn't taken to so kindly by the powers that be.

Let's play a fun little game I like to call "The DDJ Method of Quasi Passive Aggressive Insults", shall we? Where exactly did Tripp call the OP "dumb"? Now, he did was say "dumb f***ing cyclists" - but that was just a description of the targets of his well-trained dog. Does the OP live in Idaho, or bike there? Has the OP ever been hit by Tripp's dog? And I am sure Tripp's dog does not target "smart f***ing cyclists", as they certainly wouldn't deserve the same treatment. Tripp was making a general comment about bicyclists in general, who some believe think they own the road, and was not directed at the OP himself. It was certainly not a personal attack, and no where near as bad as calling someone "silly and disingenuous" for their interpretation of a United Nations recomendation on "human rights".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Born To Lose, Live To Win
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Metal Undivided, Chaos For All
mbmbmbmbmb
chrisnd wrote:

Let's play a fun little game I like to call "The DDJ Method of Quasi Passive Aggressive Insults", shall we? Where exactly did Tripp call the OP "dumb"? Now, he did was say "dumb f***ing cyclists" - but that was just a description of the targets of his well-trained dog. Does the OP live in Idaho, or bike there? Has the OP ever been hit by Tripp's dog? And I am sure Tripp's dog does not target "smart f***ing cyclists", as they certainly wouldn't deserve the same treatment. Tripp was making a general comment about bicyclists in general, who some believe think they own the road, and was not directed at the OP himself. It was certainly not a personal attack, and no where near as bad as calling someone "silly and disingenuous" for their interpretation of a United Nations recomendation on "human rights".

Well, since the OP used "dumb f***ing dogs" it was a turnabout phrase and reply to bicyclists who don't like to dodge dogs, I.E. the OP. It was indirect but the implication was clear. I'm pretty sure that Tripp wasn't saying he was training dogs to go after the OP, just cyclist who have the same attitude as the OP.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Montero
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I'll take Manhattan in a garbage bag. With Latin written on it that says "It's hard to give a shit these days"
mbmbmbmbmb
Alright, how to post about this without breaking moderation guidelines...whistle

I don't think that Tripp's dog post deserves moderation. If anything, I am surprised it was him that made the post, and not Cranky.

While I do believe that this is a forum where we could achieve addition by subtraction, I don't think that Tripp leaving would be in any way additive.

The problem with the rule about attacking a poster has two issues. First there's the fact that we can avoid attacking a poster directly by just attacking their ideas, or a group they belong in. 'All people whose name starts with a D wear granny underpants'. The other problem is what constitutes an insult. Is radical an insult? is leftist an insult? Having a banned list of words is difficult.

In my opinion, what is important is a post's intent and how it affects others. When a post tells me that someone is such a partisan bastard that responding to their bile is a waste of time and spit, I wonder why it's not moderated. When someone is clearly just trying to make other people shut up without even trying to make an argument, I wonder why they can keep posting that way time and again, just as long as they avoid the list of what is considered an insult.

A fair moderation system that is less prone to mistakes is quite expensive though. You can't just ban someone for being a jerk once. But one should be called out for constantly acting like a jerk, and driving people away from the forum. There should be some dialogue about what parts of someone's posting patterns are being problematic, and what can be changed to be able to both keep the poster around while not harming the community.

Unfortunately, that takes a whole lot of time and effort, which is probably a whole lot more than our dear mod team is willing to spend.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
Moved to Complaints Dept (with apologies to the OP) - this was off the rails almost immediately.

(Jorge - I'll make you a moderator if you keep talking sense like that).

Was moderating this specific post from DW a mistake? Possibly. I know when it showed up on my queue of flagged posts that I was torn. It wasn't clearly a violation, but it also wasn't clearly not one. I was leaning towards moderation initially, but I also sought several additional opinions before making a final decision. The final decision was entirely mine and I take responsibility for it.

Had it been more obviously a joke (it wasn't, probably to those who flagged it and also to people I asked to weigh in on it) maybe things turn out differently. If it were in RSP rather than Chit Chat, maybe things turn out differently. These grey area cases are very context dependent, and in this case I was looking at a post in Chit Chat with what sounded like a personal insult that at least some people took as sincere. So I made my call as best as I could.

The 60 days wasn't for that comment specifically. It was because this was the 14th time DW was moderated in the last 2 years. I've tried discussing things with DW - he's made it clear that he's only willing to discuss how I've been unilaterally in the wrong in every moderating decision I've made with him. There's nothing to work with when given that. I'm not perfect, by any means, but I do think I get it right more often than not. I can't work with someone who is unwilling to accept any of the responsibility for how we got to this point.

DW has his issues with me, but despite that I still enjoy his presence here as long as it's within the forum rules. He's made it clear on more than one occasion that he doesn't care for our rules. I can't work with that either, and our moderation policy is designed with the intent of eventually pushing out people who have no respect for our rules. That's what we're seeing here with the 60 day suspension. I'd love to see this trend reversed, but that's not something I can do by myself. I need some cooperation for that to happen.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:

Knowing that it would have been a two-month suspension for something that was not clearly a violation -- did this enter your mind?

Yes, it did. If I'm going to be honest, that was a large portion of my hesitance. Had it been a first or second violation I would have gone with my gut immediately without asking around for other opinions.

It stopped being a factor once the decision was reached that it crossed the line. We can't have different rules for what is a violation for different people based on their history.

-MMM

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Seguin
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Octavian wrote:
Drew1365 wrote:

Knowing that it would have been a two-month suspension for something that was not clearly a violation -- did this enter your mind?

Yes, it did. If I'm going to be honest, that was a large portion of my hesitance. Had it been a first or second violation I would have gone with my gut immediately without asking around for other opinions.

It stopped being a factor once the decision was reached that it crossed the line. We can't have different rules for what is a violation for different people based on their history.

-MMM

That is the biggest load of crap I have ever read - and that includes all that crap about AGW and how good Obama is for our country!

It is quite evident (despite the fact that you refuse to provide evidence to the contrary) that YOUR rules are enforced how YOU see fit, which makes them completely arbitrary and ridiculous. Your actions have proven it.

The fact that you are a participant in the forums in which you are supposed to moderate marks you as biased right from the start. Many have requested repeatedly that you not be a participant, and yet you still remain dedicted to engaging in the discussion of your OPINIONS. That alone should automatically exclude YOU from being a moderator. What if someone "red-x's" you on a regular basis just because they don't like your opinions? Who get's to Moderate you when you participate in the discussions? Your active participation in RSP is no different than a judge hearing a case that would involve his daughter as a victim of rape.

You previously mentioned "cooperation" on the part of Tripp. How about you "cooperate" by recusing yourself as Forum Moderator for RSP. Go moderate the game forums, participate as a liberal that we know you to be here in RSP, admit your mistake (twice now, since you clearly have indicated that Tripp has been suspended 14 times in two years even though the slates were wiped clean last August), and re-inistate Tripp to participate in RSP and Chit Chat once again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [7] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.