Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Peter Ferguson
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So I was trying to explain "Euro" Games to an employee a few weeks ago. As I explained that they are typically more strategy based and less randomness.. She says "so like Monopoly?"

I cringe..

I brought in Ticket to Ride, and we managed to play two games during a really slow day. When I pulled it out, and began to explain the basics, she said "oh.. so like Monopoly?"

So i brought in Catan yesterday, we were busy and didn't have time to play, but she looked at the back of the box as I gave a very brief idea of the objective. She says "oh, so like Monopoly?"

Oh dear...

Lol... I was explaining Euro games to another co-worker and he said "oh yea? have you ever played Game of Life? that's a good game"

Lol.. yea, when I was 10 maybe.. =)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Grey
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Female coworker that's mildly interested in playing board games.. and you didn't take a 'box holding' picture? whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stymie says, "No Fidgets"
United States
SF Peninsula
California
flag msg tools
"Nobody down here 'cept us dummies"
badge
"Betcha can't throw that donut on my finger"
mb
you game snob.

where's my duvel?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rishi A.
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you been visibly annoyed by the comment? Maybe she's doing it intentionally to annoy you.

I just say that because it sounds like the sort of thing I'd do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
If Actions Speak Louder Than Words, Then Actions x2 Speak Louder Than Actions
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
One of the Original Twelve
mbmbmbmbmb
First off, this is Chit Chat.

Secondly, mainstream Americans associate board games with punishment. Thus moving from Monopoly to Settlers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rishi A.
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
joebelanger wrote:

Holy crap. We're in Chit Chat?

MUST DERAIL

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Ferguson
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rishi wrote:
Have you been visibly annoyed by the comment? Maybe she's doing it intentionally to annoy you.

I just say that because it sounds like the sort of thing I'd do.

Nah... I laughed it off. She just doesn't really know any games outside of "Monopoly". I mentioned Risk once (a game I played tons of as a kid) and she really didn't know much about it.

I've brought Catan in a few days now, but it's been far too busy to get a game going. Our industry is one that you have extremely busy non-stop days of work, then some days that are dry with nothing to do. We're employeed to be on hand during those extremely busy periods. This past week has been unusually busy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Ferguson
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
joebelanger wrote:

Secondly, mainstream Americans associate board games with punishment. Thus moving from Monopoly to Settlers.

Good thing we're Canadian then...
whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin J
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ask her what kind of music she listens to, in casual conversation. Then add "is that like Justin Bieber?". Then ask if she's been following any shows on tv and add "oh, is that like American Idol?". Then ask what she had for dinner last night and add "oh, is that like Kraft Dinner?".

If she listens to Justin Bieber, watches American Idol, and ate Kraft Dinner last night, then don't ask her to play board games with you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.